Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux Action Show reviews AROS & mentions AmigaOS & MorphOS  (Read 2466 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Linux Action Show reviews AROS & mentions AmigaOS & MorphOS
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
It's rare that mainstream shows & publications mention Amiga, AROS or MorphOS. So when we find positive reviews and mentions we will pass them along here for everyone to enjoy. The following video is from the Linux Action Show in 2011. It's great to watch what media outside the community thinks about us. Fast forward to 29:00 to get to the AROS bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1111dlIo0
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Re: Linux Action Show reviews AROS & mentions AmigaOS & MorphOS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;743682
It's rare that mainstream shows & publications mention Amiga, AROS or MorphOS. So when we find positive reviews and mentions we will pass them along here for everyone to enjoy. The following video is from the Linux Action Show in 2011. It's great to watch what media outside the community thinks about us. Fast forward to 29:00 to get to the AROS bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1111dlIo0

That video is what, 2 years old now?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
Quote from: dammy;743701
That video is what, 2 years old now?

Yes, as I already stated. But I'm sure most have never seen it. I only just found out about it myself.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
OK,

I went there and watched the show, all 60 minutes of it. I liked what I saw with AROS,so I went to their site. Now I must be a blooming idiot, or have gotten used to steam and origin downloads.

but

Is it AROS, ICAROS, ICAROS live, ARES or Broadway. I was initially interested in Aros Broadway, went to their site, and got a server down error. So then I went to AROS and really became confused, after going through 2 hours of reading and other junk, I finally thought I hit gold with a download section, so I clicked on it to download I assumed what would be an ISO file, but got no download box, or anything that a download was happening. I figured well maybe the download was so small, and my gaming computer so fast that it didn't have time to show it, went to my download folder and my Icaros file read 16k or something part, and 0k Icaros downloader.
Now my other question is once if I can ever figure it out I get a good AROS download, does this include broadway, or is broadway a whole different ISO, or is it a bunch of programs that are patched into AROS.

I must be a blooming idiot, or the writers of these programs don't know how to follow ISO procederes. Usually when you make an ISO, when you load it into your computer it acts just like a regular OS and loads in the whole complete production for you.

Even Linux is easier to do than this crap.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
Quote from: smerf;743810
OK,

I went there and watched the show, all 60 minutes of it. I liked what I saw with AROS,so I went to their site. Now I must be a blooming idiot, or have gotten used to steam and origin downloads.

but

Is it AROS, ICAROS, ICAROS live, ARES or Broadway. I was initially interested in Aros Broadway, went to their site, and got a server down error. So then I went to AROS and really became confused, after going through 2 hours of reading and other junk, I finally thought I hit gold with a download section, so I clicked on it to download I assumed what would be an ISO file, but got no download box, or anything that a download was happening. I figured well maybe the download was so small, and my gaming computer so fast that it didn't have time to show it, went to my download folder and my Icaros file read 16k or something part, and 0k Icaros downloader.
Now my other question is once if I can ever figure it out I get a good AROS download, does this include broadway, or is broadway a whole different ISO, or is it a bunch of programs that are patched into AROS.

I must be a blooming idiot, or the writers of these programs don't know how to follow ISO procederes. Usually when you make an ISO, when you load it into your computer it acts just like a regular OS and loads in the whole complete production for you.

Even Linux is easier to do than this crap.

What?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »
When I do the same (Icaros Desktop) it shows 1.2 GB... I have installed it myself a couple of times (on VMWare) and never had any problem with it.

"Even Linux is easier to do than this crap"
You should be more careful with wording because everything you say can and will be used against you

Offline smerf

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;743815
When I do the same (Icaros Desktop) it shows 1.2 GB... I have installed it myself a couple of times (on VMWare) and never had any problem with it.

"Even Linux is easier to do than this crap"
You should be more careful with wording because everything you say can and will be used against you

Hi,

Sorry OlafS3,

But right now I am so angry, for some reason, my internet is stopping for about 5 to 10 minutes and then it loads another Kbyte, so it is not there sites I may have picked up a bug or something. Checking out the situation now. So, I really like what I see on Aros Broadway, but yes it is confuzing. Is Aros Broadway, a whole OS or is it a a bunch of programs that you load in like the Boing bag, once you get Aros installed. If my internet will start back going (I called my provider) because I am not the only one having this problem, all my kids are having the same problem. Either we all got the same virus, or the internet provider has a problem. Anyhow I am a very impatient person when I see something I want to try. I even took an old gateway dual core computer at 3.2 ghz with an ATI radeon 70 card in it, and installed in a new hard drive to try it out. I anxiously await for AROS to download. It has been 4 hours now, and it has downloaded 938K. Sorry about my rant. My network speed test shows 10 mbyte, but my file download check shows stoppage of more than 30 minutes.

I am so confuzed right now.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »
Quote from: smerf;743822
Hi,

Sorry OlafS3,

But right now I am so angry, for some reason, my internet is stopping for about 5 to 10 minutes and then it loads another Kbyte, so it is not there sites I may have picked up a bug or something. Checking out the situation now. So, I really like what I see on Aros Broadway, but yes it is confuzing. Is Aros Broadway, a whole OS or is it a a bunch of programs that you load in like the Boing bag, once you get Aros installed. If my internet will start back going (I called my provider) because I am not the only one having this problem, all my kids are having the same problem. Either we all got the same virus, or the internet provider has a problem. Anyhow I am a very impatient person when I see something I want to try. I even took an old gateway dual core computer at 3.2 ghz with an ATI radeon 70 card in it, and installed in a new hard drive to try it out. I anxiously await for AROS to download. It has been 4 hours now, and it has downloaded 938K. Sorry about my rant. My network speed test shows 10 mbyte, but my file download check shows stoppage of more than 30 minutes.

I am so confuzed right now.

Sorry but at least Icaros download works. So the problem must be somehow computer or provider related. I never used Broadway myself (just Icaros) but it is certainly similar. Both are complete distributions with preinstalled software. With Icaros download (exe) you create a directory that includes the iso that you burn and that use to install it in VMWare or real system). I do not know how it works with Broadway but propably the same.

Is the problem only with downloads or everything web related?

Do you have more than one system where you can test it?

Not "Boingbag" (that is a update). AspireOS, Broadway and Icaros are full installations including everything.

When a couple of systems are affected and there is virus protection on the system then it sounds not like virus. You could restart the internet (rooter), that helps sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:07:39 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline smerf

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 07:38:52 PM »
@OlafS3,

Ok, it seems to be on all computers in the house, today, even when I try to watch the video, it stops, seems the only way to get it started again is by moving the mouse, checked for virus, nothing, used Microsoft essentials defender, and webroot security. Malwarebytes came up with 10 chk errors, but removed them and now my system is entirely clean and has same problem. Another thing is if I keep mouse pointer on video bar at the bottom of video and move it on the travel ball, it will keep playing, but if I put the mouse pointer before or after the ball it will stop playing the video. Oh well another great day in the micro soft world.
Maybe I will quit working on computers and go back to building muscle cars. HMMM! come to think about it I had a lot of trouble with my muscle cars stopping too.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »
Is your problem solved? It is strange that all computers are affected at the same time so either a virus has spread or your connection is simply slow. Have you contacted your provider and tested your rooter?

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Most probably isp connection issues, but is easier to blame it on AROS. I never had a problem getting isos from there, only a couple of times got server error and was because they were doing site maintenance.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:50:51 PM »
I seem to recall watching this video months and months ago. Fair review, missed a few points, highlighted a few others... I really wish they'd dig into MorphOS.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
Quote from: smerf;743836
@OlafS3,

Ok, it seems to be on all computers in the house, today, even when I try to watch the video, it stops, seems the only way to get it started again is by moving the mouse, checked for virus, nothing, used Microsoft essentials defender, and webroot security. Malwarebytes came up with 10 chk errors, but removed them and now my system is entirely clean and has same problem. Another thing is if I keep mouse pointer on video bar at the bottom of video and move it on the travel ball, it will keep playing, but if I put the mouse pointer before or after the ball it will stop playing the video. Oh well another great day in the micro soft world.
Maybe I will quit working on computers and go back to building muscle cars. HMMM! come to think about it I had a lot of trouble with my muscle cars stopping too.

: )
AROS Broadway iso is down (too outdated) . IcAROS and AspireOS can be downloaded normally. A new Broadway ISO will come later this year.