Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Resetting screen modes (prefs) on AmigaOS  (Read 3196 times)

Description:

Offline adrian82Topic starter

Resetting screen modes (prefs) on AmigaOS
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:48:28 AM »
Hey there,

my Amiga 1200 is equipped with an Indivision AGA Mk2 flicker fixer by Individual Computers. I am running both Amiga OS 3.9 and Debian unstable (Linux) on my Amiga with the video going through the flicker fixer on a 19" TFT panel.

The picture from the flicker fixer on AmigaOS 3.9 has been fine, but alas the monitor would go out of sync as soon I booted into Debian. So, I thought I'd give the Indivision configuration utility a shot and play around with the screen modes and indeed I was finally to get video when Linux was booted.

Unfortunately, playing around with the Indivision configuration utility messed up my AmigaOS 3.9 screen modes, such that the monitor will go out of sync now when the Amiga boots up (Early Startup and booting from floppy still works fine).

I assume the screen modes in AmigaOS 3.9 are now mismatched to what the Indivision is programmed to do. If I understood the mechanism correctly, using the Indivision configuration utility actually automatically flashed new firmware (called "Core") into the flicker fixer meaning that screen modes are now different.

Since I can still easily access the Amiga filesystem from Linux, I was wondering whether anyone knows how to reset the screen modes in AmigaOS 3.9 by deleting or copying files. If I understood correctly, screen modes are stored in DEVS:Monitors, however all I see there is one binary file called "PAL" plus it's .info file.

How can I restore the default screen mode for AmigaOS on disk? Is deleting DEVS:Monitors/PAL* enough (didn't try that yet, just realized that, but I'm not in front of the Amiga right now ;))?

Cheers,

Adrian
- Amiga 1200 w/ Blizzard 1220/4 - ACA-1230/56MHz/64MB, OS3.9 + Debian unstable, Squirrel SCSI + CD-Writer and 160GB HDD
- Amiga 2000 ECS with A2090 and Genlock, OS 3.1
- Amiga 2000 with Blizzard 68060/128 MiB FastRAM
- Amiga 4000 Tower with Blizzard 68060/128 MiB FastRAM
- 2x Amiga 4000 with unknown accelerators
- 4x Amiga 500, Protar A500HD 2MB, C= A590 2MB, OS3.1
- Amiga 600 Standard + A601, OS3.1
- several 68k Macs
- Atari ST Mega

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: Resetting screen modes (prefs) on AmigaOS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:52:06 AM »
Its not the amiga screenmode that gets changed. Its the output driver of the Mk2. That damn config tool is a real pain in the ass to work with I tell you.

If you delete the monitor driver in Devs:monitors you wont have the screenmode available to you.

You are confusing the native amiga display modes with the indy mk2 modes (since you are outputing from the dvi output not the Amiga RGB out)

You are going to have to configure the correct mode in the indy prefs
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline direktorn

• Show only replies by direktorn
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »
Not sure that will helps but your config should be in SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/screenmode.prefs

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »
Quote from: adrian82;736253
Hey there,

my Amiga 1200 is equipped with an Indivision AGA Mk2 flicker fixer by Individual Computers. I am running both Amiga OS 3.9 and Debian unstable (Linux) on my Amiga with the video going through the flicker fixer on a 19" TFT panel.

The picture from the flicker fixer on AmigaOS 3.9 has been fine, but alas the monitor would go out of sync as soon I booted into Debian. So, I thought I'd give the Indivision configuration utility a shot and play around with the screen modes and indeed I was finally to get video when Linux was booted.

Unfortunately, playing around with the Indivision configuration utility messed up my AmigaOS 3.9 screen modes, such that the monitor will go out of sync now when the Amiga boots up (Early Startup and booting from floppy still works fine).

I assume the screen modes in AmigaOS 3.9 are now mismatched to what the Indivision is programmed to do. If I understood the mechanism correctly, using the Indivision configuration utility actually automatically flashed new firmware (called "Core") into the flicker fixer meaning that screen modes are now different.

Since I can still easily access the Amiga filesystem from Linux, I was wondering whether anyone knows how to reset the screen modes in AmigaOS 3.9 by deleting or copying files. If I understood correctly, screen modes are stored in DEVS:Monitors, however all I see there is one binary file called "PAL" plus it's .info file.

How can I restore the default screen mode for AmigaOS on disk? Is deleting DEVS:Monitors/PAL* enough (didn't try that yet, just realized that, but I'm not in front of the Amiga right now ;))?

Cheers,

Adrian
boot to early startup and then boot with no startup sequence.
then rename
SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/screenmode.prefs
to someting else. you could delete it but you may need it later. then reboot..

Offline adrian82Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:59:16 AM »
Quote from: direktorn;736292
Not sure that will helps but your config should be in SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/screenmode.prefs

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I managed to configure the Indivision with a newer revision of the configuration tool now and it even displays the Linux console now :).

Cheers,

Adrian
- Amiga 1200 w/ Blizzard 1220/4 - ACA-1230/56MHz/64MB, OS3.9 + Debian unstable, Squirrel SCSI + CD-Writer and 160GB HDD
- Amiga 2000 ECS with A2090 and Genlock, OS 3.1
- Amiga 2000 with Blizzard 68060/128 MiB FastRAM
- Amiga 4000 Tower with Blizzard 68060/128 MiB FastRAM
- 2x Amiga 4000 with unknown accelerators
- 4x Amiga 500, Protar A500HD 2MB, C= A590 2MB, OS3.1
- Amiga 600 Standard + A601, OS3.1
- several 68k Macs
- Atari ST Mega

Offline Grega

• Show only replies by Grega
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 02:52:28 AM »
yep - thanks also from me (sorry for the thread dig - worked awesome)

Offline alienkidmj12

• Show only replies by alienkidmj12
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:04:38 AM »
hoping someone can help, i have a dell monitor with dvi, i got one of these gismo's, stupid me has set output to HD720 and saved it, without testing, now when i turn amiga on i get nothing, does anyone know of any reset disk i can use to restore to a lower resolution. i believe the resolution is saved on the board itself and so i need to get into the tool to set it back, really difficult as i cant see anything :(

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 05:02:43 PM »
Selecting a screenmode that your monitor can't display  and then saving it (instead of "testing" or "using" it) is a common  problem on Amiga's.  It goes back for as far as there have been Amiga's  and is not some new problem specifically related to the Indivision.

Here's a 3-minute YouTube video I made last year that shows how to fix it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSzJn9BRHIE
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos