Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A4000 EC030 mouse pointer issue  (Read 1122 times)

Description:

Offline GreenfieldTopic starter

• Show only replies by Greenfield
A4000 EC030 mouse pointer issue
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:29:09 AM »
Hi everyone, I have brought my A4000 out of storage, the reason why it got put away a long time ago was the mouse pointer no longer moving in response to the mouse although clicks would work (left and right).

The mouse pointer itself can still be moved around with the keyboard and the machine could be operated with the keyboard like this but as you can imagine it's not pleasant.

I believe this could be a 'cap' problem. I also note the mouse pointer itself has become 'jaggier' although it doesn't affect its movement.

In addition, on bootup, there's a message saying the system can't find the Battery Backed up clock.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Or is it an easy fix for an enthusiast?

Offline Zetr0

• Show only replies by Zetr0
Re: A4000 EC030 mouse pointer issue
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »
@Greenfield

Hello there, it does indeed sounds like your A4000 is a little poorly.

Sadly I am sure to suspect that your on-board battery has leaked - as such it has caused damage to your A4000 Motherboard.

With the symptoms you have described I am sure that a couple of IC's will need to be replaced as well as some capacitors - not to mention the removal of the battery and motherboard clean up.

At this juncture I would suggest you open your A4000 and remove (gently) the Battery - from this I would use some lemon juice on the motherboard - be liberal - and let it rest for about 10 minutes - again gently - with a toothbrush have at the motherboard (primary area will be the side of the Battery - but get as much as you can.

Once you have done this I would recommend IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) and be liberal when you apply this to the motherboard - gently work this in and then give it 30 minutes dry time.  

Make sure the rest of the board is dry.

Now, this WONT repair the problems but it will ensure that it doesn't get any worse.  The motherboard will need some serious repair at this stage - it will require SMD reworking - soldering skills.  

do you know anyone local in your area ?

If not you could ask here, there are also members whom offer repair services on www.amibay.com

I hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »
Quote from: Zetr0;733066
@Greenfield

Hello there, it does indeed sounds like your A4000 is a little poorly.

Sadly I am sure to suspect that your on-board battery has leaked - as such it has caused damage to your A4000 Motherboard.

With the symptoms you have described I am sure that a couple of IC's will need to be replaced as well as some capacitors - not to mention the removal of the battery and motherboard clean up.

At this juncture I would suggest you open your A4000 and remove (gently) the Battery - from this I would use some lemon juice on the motherboard - be liberal - and let it rest for about 10 minutes - again gently - with a toothbrush have at the motherboard (primary area will be the side of the Battery - but get as much as you can.

Once you have done this I would recommend IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) and be liberal when you apply this to the motherboard - gently work this in and then give it 30 minutes dry time.  

Make sure the rest of the board is dry.

Now, this WONT repair the problems but it will ensure that it doesn't get any worse.  The motherboard will need some serious repair at this stage - it will require SMD reworking - soldering skills.  

do you know anyone local in your area ?

If not you could ask here, there are also members whom offer repair services on www.amibay.com

I hope that helps.

Thanks indeed for your quick response, I feared it might be a bit complicated.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
and that's not the complicated part(s).
Does you machine still show the correct amount of RAM on the Workbench screen? If I remember right, the chip RAM is usually affected first.
After cleaning, start checking traces, SIMM sockets and chips. But by all means get that battery out of there, and clean it! Today!
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;733096
Does you machine still show the correct amount of RAM on the Workbench screen? If I remember right, the chip RAM is usually affected first.
After cleaning, start checking traces, SIMM sockets and chips. But by all means get that battery out of there, and clean it! Today!

Well, I think it's been like that for years to be fair and it's not got worse in that time. Chip RAM is 2Mb, other ram is 14Mb (total of 16Mb I think). I will be opening the case soon to take some pics.

Offline Castellen

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:32:23 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;733096

The fast memory can be affected if U891 (part of the fast memory data bridge) becomes corroded, which is fairly common as it is right beside the RTC battery.  The outer fast memory SIMM sockets, tracks and SIMMs themselves can become corroded causing further fast memory issues.  It's less common for the chip memory to be influenced as the SIMM and the interfacing components are further away from the typical corrosion affected areas.

But yes, remove the battery first, then replace all of the corroded bits and repair the damaged tracks/vias.

I've written repair guides on it here and here.  If you can't find anyone local to fix it, then I'm happy to have a look in November when I'm back in the real world.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 12:35:27 AM »
Quote from: Castellen;733115
The fast memory can be affected if U891 (part of the fast memory data bridge) becomes corroded, which is fairly common as it is right beside the RTC battery.  The outer fast memory SIMM sockets, tracks and SIMMs themselves can become corroded causing further fast memory issues.  It's less common for the chip memory to be influenced as the SIMM and the interfacing components are further away from the typical corrosion affected areas.

But yes, remove the battery first, then replace all of the corroded bits and repair the damaged tracks/vias.

I've written repair guides on it here and here.  If you can't find anyone local to fix it, then I'm happy to have a look in November when I'm back in the real world.

Hopefully this image will embed:

Does it look bad?

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »
The battery's leaking badly and needs to be removed asap. Then the board will need some cleanup and if you're lucky that's about it.

As to the mouse: sounds like +5V power is missing in the mouse port.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »
Quote from: Greenfield;733098
Well, I think it's been like that for years to be fair and it's not got worse in that time. Chip RAM is 2Mb, other ram is 14Mb (total of 16Mb I think). I will be opening the case soon to take some pics.

Believe me when I say, it will got worse in that time. It may not have any more symptoms, but these things only get worse, never better.

Get rid of that battery before it's completely toasted the A4000!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »
Quote from: Zac67;733230
The battery's leaking badly and needs to be removed asap. Then the board will need some cleanup and if you're lucky that's about it.

As to the mouse: sounds like +5V power is missing in the mouse port.

Is the mouse issue a consequence of the leakage? And is there a repair possible?

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;733255
Believe me when I say, it will got worse in that time. It may not have any more symptoms, but these things only get worse, never better.

Get rid of that battery before it's completely toasted the A4000!

Just snip the legs off the battery and remove it, right?

Offline spirantho

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 10:25:33 PM »
Yes, just cut the metal bits off that are holding the battery to the board, it's quite easy to do.
Can it cause a mouse problem? To be honest, it can cause all sorts of problems... but even if it doesn't cause this problem, it'll cause others.

It is repairable, though - I just repaired an A1500 with battery damage which didn't boot at all (black screen). These machines you can usually repair one way or another with a skilfully placed wire and a copy of the schematics!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!