Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A500 disk drive stopped!  (Read 6091 times)

Description:

Offline LaughyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Laughy
A500 disk drive stopped!
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »
Hello,
Wondered if anyone can help. I just dug out my old A500, checked it worked on a friend's compatible TV, it was fine. Took it home waited a couple of days, while trying to scrounge a TV off anybody I could!
Anyway, set it up, all good. Put one of the same disks in as I had checked it with, it failed to load! Got a little way then power light flashed. That's it!

Had a look on you tube for tips on cleaning disk drive, took Amiga apart, disk drive out. Couldn't get it completely out of casing, not having proper size tiny screwdriver, so cleaned as much of the fluff out of it, and the reading heads as I could with cotton buds and alcohol. Put it back, loads a bit more but not properly.

The other thing is I couldn't tune it in to the TV. Controller doesn't seem to be working, even with new batteries. I'm going to get an RGB to SCART cable as I have found out that TV is compatible.

Any help is much appreciated, as I don't know anything about fixing computers!
Thanks

Offline Dr.Bongo

• Show only replies by Dr.Bongo
    • http://www.c64radio.com
Re: A500 disk drive stopped!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
The power light flashing means the machine crashed. It probably has nothing to so with the floppy drive. To help you further, can you say whether it's a 500 or a 500+ , or if it comes up with a white or purple screen with no disk inserted. Also, what game(s) made it do this? trust me, it's all relevant.
38911 BASIC BYTES FREE, less when I`ve had a drink!

*** http://c64radio.com *** Commodore 64 Radio 24/7 for free!

Offline GadgetUK

• Show only replies by GadgetUK
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
Quote from: Laughy;729553
Hello,
Wondered if anyone can help. I just dug out my old A500, checked it worked on a friend's compatible TV, it was fine. Took it home waited a couple of days, while trying to scrounge a TV off anybody I could!
Anyway, set it up, all good. Put one of the same disks in as I had checked it with, it failed to load! Got a little way then power light flashed. That's it!

Had a look on you tube for tips on cleaning disk drive, took Amiga apart, disk drive out. Couldn't get it completely out of casing, not having proper size tiny screwdriver, so cleaned as much of the fluff out of it, and the reading heads as I could with cotton buds and alcohol. Put it back, loads a bit more but not properly.

The other thing is I couldn't tune it in to the TV. Controller doesn't seem to be working, even with new batteries. I'm going to get an RGB to SCART cable as I have found out that TV is compatible.

Any help is much appreciated, as I don't know anything about fixing computers!
Thanks

Hi,

A couple of things first!  You need to count how many times the power light flashes, and is it consistent?  Ie. happening at same point or various random times?  Are you getting a picture at all, you mentioned your remote isnt working?  At this stage it could be (off the top of my head) the PSU, floppy drive (some models have surface mounted caps that fail related to rotation speed), CIA or worst case RAM (not socketted, hard to remove).

Simple things you can do to start with are to remove RAM expansion and retest, take cover and shielding off and make sure all socketed chips are firmly in place.  If its an a500+ you could have a leaked nicad battery, the same battery issue occurs in the 512Kb RAM expansions also.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:04:52 PM by GadgetUK »

Offline Dr.Bongo

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »
Quote from: GadgetUK;729559
Hi,

A couple of things first!  You need to count how many times the power light flashes, and is it consistent?  Ie. happening at same point or various random times?  Are you getting a picture at all, you mentioned your remote isnt working?  At this stage it could be (off the top of my head) the PSU, floppy drive (some models have surface mounted caps that fail related to rotation speed), CIA or worst case RAM (not socketted, hard to remove).

Think he means the TV remote ;) also, he stated that it 'loads but not properly' so it seems like the machine kick-up ok. Think we're onto a compatability or dead disk issue.

Offline GadgetUK

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:17:45 PM »
Quote from: Dr.Bongo;729560
Think he means the TV remote ;) also, he stated that it 'loads but not properly' so it seems like the machine kick-up ok. Think we're onto a compatability or dead disk issue.

Yes, i thought he meant he'd not got it working with the TV because the remote isnt working?  Why else mention the remote?  Hopefully its the drive.  He mentioned the game worked previously so it can't be the KS version, logically it's going to be the disk, the drive, loose chips, leaked battery, CIA, or RAM - I would check in that order.  Btw, you can swap the 2 x CIA chips around to see if the behaviour changes - if it doesnt you can rule that out.

One of the most common chips i've seen fail in 500's and 2000's is the CIA, and it normally follows movement of the machine, static, and or removing devices whilst the a500 is on - design fault, something to do with different ground levels.

Offline Dr.Bongo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
Quote from: GadgetUK;729561
Yes, i thought he meant he'd not got it working with the TV because the remote isnt working?  Why else mention the remote?  Hopefully its the drive.  He mentioned the game worked previously so it can't be the KS version, logically it's going to be the disk, the drive, loose chips, leaked battery, CIA, or RAM - I would check in that order.  Btw, you can swap the 2 x CIA chips around to see if the behaviour changes - if it doesnt you can rule that out.

One of the most common chips i've seen fail in 500's and 2000's is the CIA, and it normally follows movement of the machine, static, and or removing devices whilst the a500 is on - design fault, something to do with different ground levels.

+1 (including memory expansion)

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »
If there's a memory expansion in the trapdoor slot remove it and see if it changes anything. Usually, they've got a battery inside which leaks and eats up the board. If the fuzzy stuff has already spread to the board it'll need a good cleaning at best.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »
Wow, Thank you all for your replies! I will try to answer all your questions!

Thankfully it's an A500 not the 500+! Have seen the damage caused to the motherboard from the leaking clock battery. When machine turned on, it does make the normal clicking noise from the empty drive, so I assumed it will have the screen with the hand and disk. No way yet to confirm this yet as I can't seem to find the signal from the amiga using the RF cable. It was fine on friends TV just days before I tried it at home.
I have tried everything I could think of on the controls on the TV itself (changing input on EXT, AV, VCR, etc) I was hoping that if I get the RGB to SCART cable I have seen recommended on this site, that the TV will recognise it, and I won't have to tune it. Works fine with a dvd player. Just thought there would be more options and ease of use with the TV remote.

I will go through all that you suggest and get back to you all.

Thanks again!

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
The 500 doesn't output RF, it's only got (monochrome) composite and - much preferable - RGB. (Plus digital RGBI, but you wouldn't want that either.)

For RF you'll need an A520 modulator but as long as your TV has any way of directly inputting a video signal you won't really want that.

Try connecting the RCA jack on the left edge to your TV's AV input (any RCA cable will do). There's no color but you should be able to see something.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »
Quote from: Zac67;729621
The 500 doesn't output RF, it's only got (monochrome) composite and - much preferable - RGB. (Plus digital RGBI, but you wouldn't want that either.)

For RF you'll need an A520 modulator but as long as your TV has any way of directly inputting a video signal you won't really want that.

Try connecting the RCA jack on the left edge to your TV's AV input (any RCA cable will do). There's no color but you should be able to see something.

I've got the 520 Modulator, perhaps that has stopped working, as I put the RCA cable into the mono output on the Amiga, as you suggest and yes, I can see the usual screen with hand and disk! Fuzzy and not stable!

I tried the Workbench 1.3.2 disk, just to see what happenend, it did load a bit, but stopped..

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
Quote from: Dr.Bongo;729557
The power light flashing means the machine crashed. It probably has nothing to so with the floppy drive. To help you further, can you say whether it's a 500 or a 500+ , or if it comes up with a white or purple screen with no disk inserted. Also, what game(s) made it do this? trust me, it's all relevant.

On checking again it just crashes, power light just goes dim, no flashing. Though I could swear it did flash a couple of days ago (prior to taking apart and attempted cleaning).
It's a 500, with white screen. Games I played the other day which were fine, and not now : Turrican 2, Nitro and Project X.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »
Quote from: Zac67;729580
If there's a memory expansion in the trapdoor slot remove it and see if it changes anything. Usually, they've got a battery inside which leaks and eats up the board. If the fuzzy stuff has already spread to the board it'll need a good cleaning at best.

No battery on this trapdoor expansion, it looks absolutely clean, no damage. Have taken it out.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:46 PM »
Quote from: GadgetUK;729559
Hi,

Simple things you can do to start with are to remove RAM expansion and retest, take cover and shielding off and make sure all socketed chips are firmly in place.  If its an a500+ you could have a leaked nicad battery, the same battery issue occurs in the 512Kb RAM expansions also.

Socketed chips all firmly in place, the whole motherboard is in good condition. I can get the screen, followed suggestion from Zac67, without using the 520 Modulator.

Offline GadgetUK

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
Quote from: Laughy;729634
Socketed chips all firmly in place, the whole motherboard is in good condition. I can get the screen, followed suggestion from Zac67, without using the 520 Modulator.

Just to be clear, have you removed the modulator when using the black and white composite signal?  maybe you plugged the modulator in whilst it was powered up or something?  If video output is faulty it could be a problem with hybrid.  Could be denise but unlikely I think.  Try swapping the 2 x CIA chips around and check behaviour, if swapping them around changes behaviour it will be faulty CIA - i've got several spares.

Edit: when you swap them make sure they are installed the correct way around.

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »
Quote from: GadgetUK;729643
Just to be clear, have you removed the modulator when using the black and white composite signal?  maybe you plugged the modulator in whilst it was powered up or something?  If video output is faulty it could be a problem with hybrid.  Could be denise but unlikely I think.  Try swapping the 2 x CIA chips around and check behaviour, if swapping them around changes behaviour it will be faulty CIA - i've got several spares.

Edit: when you swap them make sure they are installed the correct way around.

Modulator was unplugged when using the mono output. Just tried it again, get a picture both connected and unconnected. Just not through the modulator.
Had a go at removing the CIA chips, but they are well in and am a little worried that I will damage the chip and/or motherboard taking them out. I will have to get one of those PIL tools to grab both ends at the same time. It's going to take quite a bit of force in any case though.