Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Retrobrite Experience (UK)  (Read 1824 times)

Description:

Offline GadgetUKTopic starter

• Show only replies by GadgetUK
Retrobrite Experience (UK)
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »
Hi,

Just thought I would post this feedback to help people like me who want to remove that case and key yellowing but live in the UK and wonder about UV light requirement.

Despite having next to no direct sunlight, you can achieve a perfect result, but be prepared to have an A1200 case in your bath for 2 weeks lol

I started quite feebly using 200ml of 35% H2O2 mixed with like 2 inches of bath water = fail, it did downgrade the yellow by 20 or 30%, after soaking in the bath for a week.

Then moved onto 12% cream peroxide, this brushes on.  After roughly 3 lots of treatment, with one of those treatments outside for 1 hour in a teeny bit of sun, the A1200 now looks NEW.  You've got to look closely as some keys or parts of case can take longer to do than other bits.

Also did the mouse and floppy button.  The difference is quite staggering.  If you attempt this, use rubber gloves and eye protection, oh and remove those white clips on the back of shift, tab, return keys before sticking them in the bath - 2 of mine went missing, presumed down plug hole.

I will post before and after images later.

Edit: Regards qty, 1 litre of 12% cream peroxide has done an entire 1200 case, keys, mouse, and 50% of an a500 case.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:54:51 AM by GadgetUK »

Offline hese7

Re: Retrobrite Experience (UK)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
How many hours you kept the case under cream peroxide treatment?

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »
Quote from: hese7;728890
How many hours you kept the case under cream peroxide treatment?

Good question, excluding the week to start with, which was pointless as the % when I diluted with bath water was probably less than 0.5%...

First application of creme, put on at lunch time, left in bath over night and cleaned off the following morning to check results.  80% yellowing removed, mouse was still bad on its back, keys mostly perfect, space bar still pretty yellow on one side.

Second application done outside (clowdy, no direct sun), left outside for an hour, then moved (on a tray) to the bath and left overnight.

Final application same as the last, but only 3 hours in bath before washing off to confirm the last few keys perfect and 2 spots on case perfect.

Edit: don't forget 1 teaspoon of Oxy action mixed into the creme before you start.  And if you are doing the keys, pop them off the keyboard (dont stick the whole keyboard in lol), and obviously remove all the electronics from the case, obvious I know but there's bound to be someone out there...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:40:09 AM by GadgetUK »

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:18:54 AM »

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »
Here are the before and afters - please note that the before was actually around 20 or 30% BETTER than when I started, ie. it was all as yellow as that mouse seen in the before pic.   That mouse isnt shown in the after picture but its the same white as the case and keyboard now.

Offline vince_6

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
That was a great experiment mate. I know there is a problem there with the sun.
Come visit us in Greece :-D and bring your gear.
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project