Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Monitor required.  (Read 2889 times)

Description:

Offline thesnapman44Topic starter

• Show only replies by thesnapman44
Monitor required.
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »
Firstly, i would just like to say hello.
I have just joined, and i am overjoyed by doing so. Apart from a solitary few, i didn`t think the Amiga was alive anymore. The joy, when i did an intensive internet search, and found this site. It warms me to know that the beloved Amiga is still loved.
Twelve years ago, i emigrated to the U.S.A, where i reside now. I was from England. I brought with me my Amiga A1200 and everything i owned concerning the Amiga, and always felt at home. However, recently my monitor decided that more than twelve years of service was sufficient, and it died. I am at a lost because i have not been able to play my Amiga games for more than a month now.
Like i said, i found this site, and was delighted to see that Amiga lovers help Amiga lovers, so i am hoping that someone can help. I require a replacement monitor, and i would like to ask, if anyone knows anyone who has one. It would be great if the seller was in the U.S.A, but if i have to shop outside the states, i will consider that.

Thank you, and thank you for being here. Keeping the Amiga alive.

Offline danbeaver

Re: Monitor required.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »
Do you need a PAL capable monitor like an A1084?  A SCART multipurpose monitor like a Samsung 940MW?  Or have you looked at upgrade solutions for VGA or DVI output?

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:54:48 AM »
Thank you for your reply.
I really don`t have much knowledge about the monitor i was looking for, but what i can tell you, is that i have a SCART cable that was with the old monitor, and one of the cables fitted very well. Please forgive my ignorance on this matter, and like i said, i think a monitor attached via SCART would be ideal.
Thank you.

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:13:52 AM »
Where are you located?

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »
u.s.a

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:39:54 AM »
[ATTACH]2649[/ATTACH]
this is how the last monitor was attached

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 04:32:55 AM »
Depending on your budget you may want to look at a product like the Indivision (allows you to hook up any modern monitor to your system).  I just got one a few days ago and love it!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »
Thank you for that advice.
It seems to be the best bet ( the Indivsion AGA MK2 ), and it just hooks up to a modern day monitor/tv (with SCART).
I watched a Youtube video showing the very easy steps of fitting the Indivision into an Amiga 1200, and it really doesn`t call for much technical work to be done. Probably the only other thing i will need is a t.v with SCART. By the way, if anyone is selling one, you know where i am :).
Thanks again for the help.

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
Quote from: thesnapman44;724780
Thank you for that advice.
It seems to be the best bet ( the Indivsion AGA MK2 ), and it just hooks up to a modern day monitor/tv (with SCART).
I watched a Youtube video showing the very easy steps of fitting the Indivision into an Amiga 1200, and it really doesn`t call for much technical work to be done. Probably the only other thing i will need is a t.v with SCART. By the way, if anyone is selling one, you know where i am :).
Thanks again for the help.

Indivision AGA MK 2 doesn't hook up via scart, it works via VGA (not very well at the moment) or DVI.  

If you want Scart, just use a cheap RGB to Scart lead (about £8 on ebay).

Indivision AGA 2 is off-sale at the moment though due to the high number of complaints about the lack of config tools for it, 9 months and waiting.  :/  It will be great when it eventually arrives, but it's pretty pricey (£100+) if you just want to play a few games of Lemmings.  The HiGFX modes are great for workbench though, but a lot of users are finding they have banding on their displays or uncentered screens that go off screen borders, these problems cannot be fixed without the config tool.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 02:47:09 PM »
Okay, so let me  ask you this, as i am not technical minded.
What would you suggest for the better? All i do is play games with my Amiga, nothing else. So basically, i just need a monitor, yes?
How would you go about curing this problem, if it was you?
Let me worry about the price. Just show me where to go, and what i need.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »
If I was u I would just buy a Commodore 1084 RGB monitor.  That monitor is the way Amiga games should be played.  All Amiga games were designed with that monitor in mind.  It has BRILLIANT saturated colors.  And the colors are not all screwey like so many LCD monitors.  Also the 1084 monitors can flip ALL the pixels on the screen from any color to any color instantly!  Most LCD monitors cannot do any such thing!  It is futuristic black magic for so-called "modern" monitors.

Also when u use a 1084S there is no delay added to the display.  Most so-called "modern" LCD monitors will add a lag to the display.  Everything you are seeing on the screen already happened 1 or 2 frames ago.  It ruins all games that depend on instant reflexes an pixel perfect precision.

A modern LCD monitor can only display ONE resolution correctly.  All others are displayed incorrectly and laggily.  A 1084S can display many resolutions correctly.  A 1084S is also nice to use with a Dreamcast if u have one.

There was a guy on here a month or 2 ago begging ppl to take his 1084S monitors FOR FREE.  Just pay the shipping.  I was going to take them since nobody else wanted them.  He was going to throw them in the trash if I did not get them.  I guess he was getting thrown out of his house or something.  I wanted to save them from oblivion.  Its stupid to let valuable Perfectly Working monitors get destroyed.  But I am horribly ill and I could not reply to his msgs for a while and.... I guess they are destroyed now.  I am feeling depressed about the whole thing. :(

If you want an instantaneous high speed gfx, brilliant color monitor then you need a 1084 or there was a Magnavox monitor that was a clone, it was just as good as a 1084 or even a bit better.  I gave my Magnavox to my mom and  she just threw it away rather than give it back to me.  I went to the courthouse and Disowned my mother and have never spoken to her since.

If you are playing a turn-based strategy game such as Total Chaos AGA then the lagginess of LCD monitors does not matter so you could happily use an LCD for that purpose.

If you are playing highly advanced HIRES INTERLACED 640x512 games on your A1200 (such as Total Chaos AGA) then getting a high quality flickerfixer and using a high resolution monitor such as an LCD monitor or a 19" multisync CRT (like I am on right now) would be a good deal for you.  I own several CRT monitors that connect to my PC and my A1200+FlickerFixer simultaneously and they support all NTSC and PAL Amiga modes!!  And they are CRT monitors so they have instantaneous pixel changing without lag.
The one I am using right this second is a 19" ViewSonic UltraBriteA90f+.  I certify this to work with NTSC and PAL modes on a Real Amiga with FlickerFixer.  I have other models by other manufacturers in the other room if u really need to know others.

The color on all my 31Khz expensive multisync CRT monitors is not as good as any 1084S.  1084S beats them all in color.  1084S is just lower resolution.  But Amiga games ARE low resolution so its great for Amiga gaming.
The only monitors I have ever seen with color as good as a 1084S are: DLP monitors and Plasma monitors.

A Plasma monitor could be a good choice for you as you get great colors and high speed pixel changes but I donno how u would find one that is compatible to PAL mode.  Its just stupid to use a monitor for old Amiga games that does not support PAL mode.  DO NOT BUY ANY MONITOR FOR AMIGA GAMING THAT HAS SABOTOGED THE PAL MODES TO NOT WORK.  SUCH MONITORS ARE A RIPOFF.  The PAL modes are supposed to work!  If they don't work then they are ripping you off on purpose!  Do not give them your money!
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;724810
I gave my Magnavox to my mom and  she just threw it away rather than give it back to me.  I went to the courthouse and Disowned my mother and have never spoken to her since.

You are kidding, right?
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about the situation you are in, being ill. I pass my best onto you.
If anyone can shed some light as to wether the guy got rid of all those monitors(looking back at past thread posts), it would help a great deal, as i would certainly take one or two of him.
I browsed the Internet on the advice you gave me, but even on Ebay, these thing`s are getting tough to find.
My email address is available to anyone who comes across a monitor, or has information  regarding some useful info (items that are available and can be shipped),, and that will help me out, so that i can start to reuse my beloved Amiga.
Thanks.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
I have just spotted this after searchung, was this the guy who had the monitors?

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61734

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
Quote from: thesnapman44;724815
I have just spotted this after searchung, was this the guy who had the monitors?

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61734

That is not the guy I was talking about.  But see, you can find them if you look. :)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA