Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cinemaware is Back on AmigaOS!  (Read 5123 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Cinemaware is Back on AmigaOS!
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »
January 28, 2013

Cinemaware in cooperation with Hyperion Entertainment are proud to announce the re-distribution of its classic Amiga 68K Cinemaware titles. Through the magic of emulation and genuine Amiga ROMs, you can once again play titles such as Defender of the Crown® on PowerPC-based AmigaOS systems with a simple double click of the mouse. Everything you need to run these classic Cinemaware games is already included in AmigaOS 4.1. There is even an option for using an original joystick via the Catweasel joystick driver for a truly nostalgic experience.

All registered AmigaOS owners now have access to these Cinemaware games at www.hyperion-entertainment.biz in the downloads section. Customers can simply choose the games they are interested in and click download. Manuals are also included for a majority of the games.

AmigaOS has evolved from its humble beginnings on those original 68k systems and so has Cinemaware. Cinemaware not only has a brand new web site at www.cinemaware.com, but Cinemaware titles are also available for iOS such as Defender of the Crown® and the upcoming The King of Chicago™. You can expect many more classic Cinemaware titles to be available on a portable device near you soon! Also keep an eye out for Cinemaware Kickstarter projects which will reboot your favorite titles with HD graphics and new gameplay content!

Hyperion Entertainment is offering these games as a free bonus for all its AmigaOS customers, and is distributing these games with the full cooperation of Cinemaware. Issues may be posted at support.amigaos.net where we will do our best to help you.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

edit: Cinemaware have also announced this re-release on their website, their twitter account, and their facebook page. Always nice to see some publicity for the Amiga from outside the community!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:31:08 AM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Cinemaware is Back on AmigaOS!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »
@thread

a couple of quick notes here. first: these are not just ADF files, but nicely packaged games which launch from an icon and include scans of the original manuals and even the reference cards that came in the packaged games back in the day. second: these are designed to run on AOS 4.1u6. not on earlier versions of the OS, so if you have a back-level amiga NG, get updating! third: there are quite a few available, including:

• defender of the crown
  • it came from the desert
  • antheads: it came from the desert 2
  • the king of chicago
  • lords of the rising sun
  • rocket ranger (both german and non-german editions)
  • S.D.I.
  • sinbad and the throne of the falcon
  • the three stooges
  • tv sports: baseball
  • tv sports: basketball
  • tv sports: football
  • wings

yes it has been possible for some (if not all) of these to be downloaded from the cinemaware site before, but not as nicely packaged as this. so if you have a modern amiga running OS4.1, go for it. if not, use the ADF files easily found. either way it's nice that cinemaware (in its current incarnation) supports amigans of whatever flavor, so let's all be happy and have fun. :)

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:06:43 PM by eliyahu »

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;724561
@thread
  • tv sports: basketball

EPIC!  Oh how I played that game to death back in the day...

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
Nice! Thanks, lads. This is worth major karma points.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »
Nifty package.

What I'd like to see though is something like AB3D running on a custom emulator (since the source is a mess) with custom controls that fit today's gamer's need, I.E. better configuration for keyboard and mouse/dual analog joystick. One thing I noticed is that no matter how many times I try to tweak the configuration I can never Strafe and Turn at the same time which really kills the game play for me.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Templario

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
Thanks to Hyperion and Cinemaware, again we can enjoy the classic games of Amiga on the new Amigas.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »
Who "said they don't make nostalgia like they used to"* ? A few old favourites there :)

*Well, actually, I do remember that featuring in Pulse by Nerve Axis...
int p; // A

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »
Just had a go with Wings, man I suck, I used to be a lot better.

But having said that, the game runs fine, just click and play :)

Offline Wilse

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;724645
Who "said they don't make nostalgia like they used to"* ?

My old boss, back in the early 90's, was a Londoner who had a number of vaguely humorous sayings, one of which was, "Ahh, nostalgia ain't what it used to be, is it?"

He also referred to the Olympic equestrian event of dressage as "horse poofing" but that's for another thread....

Offline ssolie

• Show only replies by ssolie
    • http://www.solie.ca/
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »
Of course you can source the games from elsewhere including the Cinemaware web site itself (http://www.cinemaware.com). Where do you think we got them from in the first place? D'uh... ;)

The point of this effort was to create nice packages in single archives, include an icon to double click on, PDF manuals, reference cards, etc. You just download and double click and the games go.

And everything was done with the full cooperation of the copyright owner. This should make it easier to establish deals with other copyright owners as it proves we can respect the rights of owners and still have some fun at the same time.

I'm not sure why some are going out of their way to find something negative in this news on other sites. I suppose having fun with Amigas is not really why they still hang around.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline Plaz

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 03:46:03 AM »
Hmm, and they had a kickstart project for a HD remake of Wings. [But] it was unsuccessful. Better advertising next time maybe.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-directors-cut

Plaz
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:36:04 PM by eliyahu »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »

Better advertising next time maybe.

apparently some deal with team17 may come up. they even starting to answer calls.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
seems removing comments starts to be a habit around here.

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »
Why they approached hyperion instead of cloanto?. Aiming for classics willget more widespread.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 03:01:12 PM »
Quote from: _ThEcRoW;724801
Why they approached hyperion instead of cloanto?. Aiming for classics willget more widespread.
if i remember correctly it was the other way around. someone approached cinemaware to see if they would be willing to allow hyperion to re-release the games for their customers. maybe @ssolie can confirm that; if i remember correctly he did quite a lot of the legwork on getting these games nicely packaged for us. it's been a real treat.

since cinemaware already have the ADFs available for classic-compatible platforms, who knows? maybe cloanto would be interested in including them in their next amigaforever release? i think you've got a good idea there. i'm very happy with the re-released packages since i get the manuals and everything and the games launch from the workbench like any other. maybe you could contact cloanto to see if they can build RP9 versions of the cinemaware games, too?

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:03:31 PM by eliyahu »