amiga.org
     
iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga News and Community Announcements Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Notices

Amiga News and Community Announcements If you have a news item, or want to announce something to the entire online Amiga Community, this is the forum in which to place your announcement.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
saib0t
Merely Curious
Points: 400, Level: 7 Points: 400, Level: 7 Points: 400, Level: 7
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Post Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Due to 10000 char limitation I have to split this text into two parts.
Here is part 1:


* Can you tell us a bit about yourself.

Well, this pretty typical question gets pretty typical answer. I'm 39
years old, live in Bialystok, Poland. I work at local technical university
as a technican. Married, two children. Nothing special. I guess anyone
just skips it to read more interesting questions ;-), so let's go
and answer them.

* Tell us a bit about your computer history.

Hmm, it started about 1987 as far as I remember. I had an opportunity to
use a Timex 2048 at school, also someone from my family has got an Atari
65 XE. At the same time I've read all about computers I could get. There
were some popular paper magazines in Poland like "Bajtek", "Iks" and some
other. I've mostly played on computers I had access to, but some day I
have impressed my family by writing a program in Atari Basic playing some
music. Unfortunately my parents could not afford a computer for me. Then
being in the last class of a college I've got some prize from the
school so I was able to buy an Atari 65 XE with XC12 tape recorder. It was
in 1992, so the stuff was a bit obsolete already, but well. Later I've
bought a floppy drive (it was more expensive than the computer itself).
I've started to program my Atari in Basic, but after some time I have
switched to 6502 assembler... I've learned to program the chipset: Antic,
Pokey, GTIA. In the meantime I've finished the college and entered
university. I've started to think about getting an Atari ST.

* When did you first get in touch with Amiga and later MorphOS?

Fortunately some of my mates at university had relatively modern
computers. I visited some of them, trying PC/AT and Amiga 1200. I may say
I fell in love with Amiga. Of course A1200 was way too expensive for me
those days, but in 1994 I could buy a second hand Amiga 500. The first
program I've tried was ProTracker 1.1A. It took a few sleepless nights
;-). Anyway while I like to compose some awful music ;-), I'm mostly
programmer. My first program on Amiga has been written in Amiga Basic and
was some boring university problem. As I like low-level programming I
have learned 68000 assembler and got some books on Amiga chipset
programming. Two years later I've discovered C language, started to
learning the Amiga operating system, got a harrdisk and Kickstart 3.0,
experimented with Amiga E a bit. After working through 1997 holidays as a
construction worker, I could afford an Amiga 1200, followed quickly by
Blizzard 1230-IV... Let's skip a few years and we have 2002, I'm selling
my A4000 with CyberStormPPC, UW-SCSI hard disk and Prometheus, because
Pegasos I from Genesi is waiting for me at customs.

After being an AmigaOS 4 betatester for a few months (it was at times when
some future AmigaOS 4 components were still 68k, so I've tested them on
my A4000), I've been approached by Genesi via Jacek Piszczek. They had a
job proposal for me, which I've accepted. While still working on A4000
I've written a completely new sound.datatype for MorphOS and a set of
sub-datatypes. What is really funny I've written them as 68k code, then it
has been recompiled for MorphOS by Genesi. As they were satisfied with my
work, they decided to send me a Pegasos. Then since 2002 I'm one of
MorphOS developers.

* What do you do when your not working on MorphOS?

I very like programming, so I often spend 14 or more hours a day with
computers. There are also usual family duties... My other activities are
biking and composing some music. I also like to read a good book,
especially on quantum physics or cosmology, but also criminal stories and
political fiction. I must admit however, my life is dominated by computers
and programming.

* What are your part in the MorphOS development?

In the MorphOS Team there are no strict assignments. We identify needed
development, then during some discussions we decide who takes given task.
Of course all of us have areas of experience and interest. My area is
digital signal processing. Then it is no surprise that my main
contribution to MorphOS is Reggae - an object oriented media processing
framework. On the other hand I also did many smaller things unrelated to
Reggae.

* Can you give us some examples of things you have been involved in?

Reggae is the big thing for me. The whole concept and most its classes are
mine. Lately Michal Zukowski added many image decoders and encoders.
Another big project is my Lua language port. Sounds easy, but it is not
just a plain port, I would call it system integration. It has MorphOS
native dynamic module loader, support for ARexx ports. I also plan to
implement MUI module, so Lua will become not only versatile scripting
language, but also easy to use general purpose language for less demanding
applications.

Looking at minor things - I've for example implemented bugraport.library,
largely contibuted to charsets.library (including a shell command
ConvertText), wrote an extensive, updated documentation for
utility.library and so on. There are also a few things in progress.

* What is the biggest challenge you have been facing when developing MorphOS?

Lack of free time. Fortunately bounties give me some freedom, as I can
reject some part-time work and code for MorphOS instead. I guess, you've
asked for programming challenges however. In fact there are none. Of
course there are problems to solve, but it is everyday programmer's
bread, so I see nothing challenging in it.

* Are you working on some features that we will se in MorphOS in the future?

You can expect more Reggae classes and functionality. I also plan to add
MUI module (and maybe Reggae module) to Lua.

End of part 1
saib0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Templario
Cult Member
Points: 5,795, Level: 49 Points: 5,795, Level: 49 Points: 5,795, Level: 49
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
 
Templario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Palencia (capital of the mythical Vaccean Kingdom) - Spain
Posts: 703
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Bah, it is how an interview with one taliban, he is no OS4, no Hollywood programs, a "good example" of Amiga user.
For example a good opinion about Hollywood programs:
http://www.morphzone.org/modules/new...ryid_2006.html
__________________
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9 running on Intel Atom board.
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 + Update 6..
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.5.1.
Templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Iggy
Energizer Bunny of Babble
Points: 16,270, Level: 81 Points: 16,270, Level: 81 Points: 16,270, Level: 81
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4,058
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templario View Post
Bah, it is how an interview with one taliban, he is no OS4, no Hollywood programs, a "good example" of Amiga user.
For example a good opinion about Hollywood programs:
http://www.morphzone.org/modules/new...ryid_2006.html
I have absolutely no idea what Templario is going on about.

But I enjoyed the article.
As one of the users favoring a retention of our PPC ISA (at least for now), its nice to hear it reaffirmed that this is one course thats still under consideration.
__________________
Sinner no more - sold the tablet.

Purchased a 2.7 GHz G5 PowerMac for now (and I have 2.3 PCI-E G5 PowerMac for future revisions of MorphOS).

Also I still have a 1.42 GHz iBook (with MorphOS 3.4).

Finally I still have an old A2000 for the days I'm into pain.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin

"I'm a hard worker." - George W. Bush

"Guess I'll have to change my way of livin..."

Kenny Downing is my God.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Boot_WB
Defender of the Faith
Points: 12,282, Level: 72 Points: 12,282, Level: 72 Points: 12,282, Level: 72
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%
 
Boot_WB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kingston upon Hull, UK
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I have absolutely no idea what Templario is going on about.

But I enjoyed the article.
As one of the users favoring a retention of our PPC ISA (at least for now), its nice to hear it reaffirmed that this is one course thats still under consideration.
Templario has read Krashan's brief review as some sort of withering criticism, and then gone on a rampage about it apparently.

I my opinion Krashan was actually saying that despite having the same disadvantages as many other Hollywood-written applications (compared to natively developed applications using the provided API for menus, localisations, etc) there are some interesting features which are worth looking at. If there is any criticism there it's of Hollywood's limitations as a programming language, not AHIW as a program (in fact he praises its good points).
__________________
www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.1
Powerbook 5.6 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.1, OSX 10.5.8

Windows-free since 2011!
Boot_WB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
kickstart
Cult Member
Points: 10,007, Level: 66 Points: 10,007, Level: 66 Points: 10,007, Level: 66
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 955
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templario View Post
Bah, it is how an interview with one taliban, he is no OS4, no Hollywood programs, a "good example" of Amiga user.
For example a good opinion about Hollywood programs:
http://www.morphzone.org/modules/new...ryid_2006.html
os4 isnt a good example of "amiga user"... youl talk about hollywood to real os developers? sounds silly.
__________________
A1200,BLIZZARD1260@50MHz
kickstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
wawrzon
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,192, Level: 64 Points: 9,192, Level: 64 Points: 9,192, Level: 64
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,705
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Quote:
Bah, it is how an interview with one taliban, he is no OS4,
says who? a new born christian? actually krashan supports os4 with his software, so this imputation is already completely wrong, but it wasnt intended to be true anyway.
Quote:
no Hollywood programs,
bet why, if one is able to use proper programming languages that do not append 2mb runtime to each compiled executable. hollywood is great to have but it isnt c.
Quote:
For example a good opinion about Hollywood programs:
first off, this review is about particular program not about hollywood in general. secondly, it tries to be balanced but positive, however if ones english abilities are below average its easy to misunderstand it and fill the gaps with own paranoid expectations.
wawrzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Duce
Off to greener pastures
Points: 7,007, Level: 55 Points: 7,007, Level: 55 Points: 7,007, Level: 55
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Enjoyable read, cheers for posting!
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Krashan
Technoid
Points: 8,643, Level: 62 Points: 8,643, Level: 62 Points: 8,643, Level: 62
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Krashan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Białystok, Poland
Posts: 205
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templario View Post
Bah, it is how an interview with one taliban, he is no OS4, no Hollywood programs, a "good example" of Amiga user.
It is difficult to answer this. As others pointed out, it seems you have misunderstood my news on MorphZone, so chances are high you will go to wrong conclusions with this post too.

I'm sorry if you feel offended by the news item. This was not my intention. Note however that without my news A.H.I.W. could go unnoticed on MorphZone. I've pointed out its unique features, as well as disadvantages. However after receiving your harsh reaction I doubt I will ever write a news about your future programs on MorphZone.

As a programmer, you should be prepared to constructive criticism. It is an important part of user feedback. It just means users are genuinely interested in your work and want you to make it better. In fact I appreciate constructive criticism to my programs more than just easy "great work" posts. If you don't like it and prefer to insist that your programs are ideal - well, let's be it, I will simply leave them alone.

While your argument "non-ideal programs are better than no programs" is valid, there are also things like GUI consistency and style guide. Hollywood has been designed as an engine for multimedia presentations, not as general purpose programming language. It evolved later in this direction (with MUI Royale, being the largest step), but it still carries its load.
__________________
Homepage MorphOS Files DigiBooster 3
Krashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
klx300r
Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
Points: 11,115, Level: 69 Points: 11,115, Level: 69 Points: 11,115, Level: 69
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%
 
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,930
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

@ saib0t

thanks for posting this great interview as I always like to read about the 'real' people behind our favourite computer. reading it though did make me sad to think of all the time wasted with the old red vs blue wars as addition is always better than division in my books
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________________
c64-dual sids, A1000, A1200-060@50
Indivision AGA & Catweasel MK4+= Amazing
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
-AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE ***
klx300r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
wawrzon
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,192, Level: 64 Points: 9,192, Level: 64 Points: 9,192, Level: 64
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,705
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

@krashan
dont even bother to clarify, you have just experienced the guys usual reaction upon a review of his strip slideshow or whatever.
what concerns the interview it is awesome that you came to the amiga so late, at the point you have joined i was giving up on it as a main system, and i was already late. it amazes me how much enthusiasm the obviously dying brand/standard was still able to generate. i see very lively amiga scene in poland, mostly mos but also aros. it might be because we had to wait so long to lay our hands on a computer we otherwise have heard so much about, and we need to compensate for it.
wawrzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
eliyahu
Lifetime Member
Points: 4,284, Level: 41 Points: 4,284, Level: 41 Points: 4,284, Level: 41
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
 
eliyahu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterbury, Connecticut (USA)
Posts: 391
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

@usual suspects

just to be clear: this thread will under no circumstances become some nonsense blue vs red thing. the second it does is the second it gets locked. oh, and remember no personal attacks of individual members or groups are allowed around here.

@saib0t / @krashan

great interview of a great amigan! i hope it's the first in a series of many.

-- eliyahu
__________________
Check out the latest on next-generation Amiga computing at IntuitionBase.com!

Last edited by eliyahu; 01-26-2013 at 04:18 PM..
eliyahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #12
Templario
Cult Member
Points: 5,795, Level: 49 Points: 5,795, Level: 49 Points: 5,795, Level: 49
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
 
Templario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Palencia (capital of the mythical Vaccean Kingdom) - Spain
Posts: 703
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashan View Post
It is difficult to answer this. As others pointed out, it seems you have misunderstood my news on MorphZone, so chances are high you will go to wrong conclusions with this post too.

I'm sorry if you feel offended by the news item. This was not my intention. Note however that without my news A.H.I.W. could go unnoticed on MorphZone. I've pointed out its unique features, as well as disadvantages. However after receiving your harsh reaction I doubt I will ever write a news about your future programs on MorphZone.

As a programmer, you should be prepared to constructive criticism. It is an important part of user feedback. It just means users are genuinely interested in your work and want you to make it better. In fact I appreciate constructive criticism to my programs more than just easy "great work" posts. If you don't like it and prefer to insist that your programs are ideal - well, let's be it, I will simply leave them alone.

While your argument "non-ideal programs are better than no programs" is valid, there are also things like GUI consistency and style guide. Hollywood has been designed as an engine for multimedia presentations, not as general purpose programming language. It evolved later in this direction (with MUI Royale, being the largest step), but it still carries its load.
No is for my program, because as I said I make Frikiware, is for the criticism about Hollywood, Ok this language isn't perfect and it isn't C, but Hollywood has its Pros and Against, but as I wrote in the post I know that my software isn't perfect, because I haven't time to make big programs in C, Hollywood is as Flash language system.
And we read other cases the antiHollywood tendency in MorphOS, when I do not agree because I'm user of MorphOS, AmigaOS4, Amiga OS3.9 and Windows, and I think that we are make positive post even the strange softwares programmed in any language, AmiBlizt, BliztBasic, PortablE, Amos, C, ASM, etc.
__________________
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9 running on Intel Atom board.
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 + Update 6..
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.5.1.
Templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #13
Templario
Cult Member
Points: 5,795, Level: 49 Points: 5,795, Level: 49 Points: 5,795, Level: 49
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
 
Templario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Palencia (capital of the mythical Vaccean Kingdom) - Spain
Posts: 703
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

For all, I want that the main theme will be my program, I want and like that the Amiga users give ideas to improve our systems, programming languages, programs, games, etc., no convert the post in a manner to get points in the different forums.
We need ideas no points.
__________________
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9 running on Intel Atom board.
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 + Update 6..
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.5.1.
Templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
persia
Banned
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,753
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

We need more pointless ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templario View Post
For all, I want that the main theme will be my program, I want and like that the Amiga users give ideas to improve our systems, programming languages, programs, games, etc., no convert the post in a manner to get points in the different forums.
We need ideas no points.
persia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
pampers
Too much caffeine
Points: 4,064, Level: 40 Points: 4,064, Level: 40 Points: 4,064, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 141
Default Re: Interview with Grzegorz "Krashan" Kraszewski, part 1

Hollywood - AMOS for NG Amigas
pampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
grzegorz , interview , krashan , kraszewski , part
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump