Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Utilities Unlimited EMPLANT card  (Read 5760 times)

Description:

Offline VCNWTopic starter

• Show only replies by VCNW
Utilities Unlimited EMPLANT card
« on: December 28, 2012, 01:07:46 AM »
Just got hold of Utilities Unlimited's EMPLANT card.

It is a version 1.5 (says on the board) or C, released on the 46th week of 1993( says on all the chips).

The following chips are installed..
P1-4693-2
P2-4693
P3-4693-C
P4-4693
P5-4693

Intrested to know if one of these chips is the optional e586 module?

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: Utilities Unlimited EMPLANT card
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:20 AM »
U don't need the chip numbers. the 586 chip goes in a specific socket
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:29:30 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;720488
U don't need the chip numbers. the 586 chip goes in a specific socket

And the specific socket is????

Offline magnetic

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »
Am I going to have to install it for you too? lulz..

Dont know man google is your friend ;)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com

Offline JimDrew

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by JimDrew
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
Quote from: VCNW;720486
Just got hold of Utilities Unlimited's EMPLANT card.

It is a version 1.5 (says on the board) or C, released on the 46th week of 1993( says on all the chips).

The following chips are installed..
P1-4693-2
P2-4693
P3-4693-C
P4-4693
P5-4693

Intrested to know if one of these chips is the optional e586 module?

P1 is replaced with a new version to allow e586 emulation.  You have the stock setup without the e586 emulation support.  The only difference the PEEL makes is enabling one of the three 6522 VIAs that was deliberately disabled, to be later used for the e586 emulation.  When e586dx was released, it supported the EMPLANT card but without requiring the updated PEEL (they are not PALs or GALs, they are PEELs).

I am not sure who wrote the information linked to above, but there are quite a few things wrong with that info.  The 4693 revision PEELs were the last version that we made.  These improved the timing to make the emulation faster, but they were not required.  There were no issues with other versions, they just slowed down the Zorro II bus timing affecting the SCSI and serial ports.  The LOGIC brand SCSI chip requires the slower timing for the Amiga side (not the Mac side), but I later took care of that in the empscsi.device driver so that the Mac emulation could run as fast as possible.  If your A4000 had a bad -5v regulator, then yes, the EMPLANT board would not work.  EMPLANT works with NTSC or PAL machines, and the Mac emulation knew which type of machine it was running on, just as a real Mac does.

Offline Pentad

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »
Jim:

I thought the Emplant was an amazing product when it was released.  People could not believe the Mac emulation on my Amiga.

I always wondered:

1.  How many Emplants were sold total?

2.  How many revisions of the software did you make?  I remember the first revisions were pretty rough and only ran in Chip Memory (I think).  However, it didn't take long for the software to really mature and work amazingly well.

3.  Did you ever get any flak from Apple on it?

4.  How well did the e586 sell?  I remember it being released but by that time I saw the Commodore ship sinking and jumped to another platform (Mac then Windows).  

5.  Did you ever consider selling Emplant without the board?  Especially after ShapeShifter appeared?

I have found memories of Emplant, thanks for such a great product!!!

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:02:48 PM »
Quote from: JimDrew;720536
P1 is replaced with a new version to allow e586 emulation. You have the stock setup without the e586 emulation support. The only difference the PEEL makes is enabling one of the three 6522 VIAs that was deliberately disabled, to be later used for the e586 emulation. When e586dx was released, it supported the EMPLANT card but without requiring the updated PEEL (they are not PALs or GALs, they are PEELs).

I am not sure who wrote the information linked to above, but there are quite a few things wrong with that info. The 4693 revision PEELs were the last version that we made. These improved the timing to make the emulation faster, but they were not required. There were no issues with other versions, they just slowed down the Zorro II bus timing affecting the SCSI and serial ports. The LOGIC brand SCSI chip requires the slower timing for the Amiga side (not the Mac side), but I later took care of that in the empscsi.device driver so that the Mac emulation could run as fast as possible. If your A4000 had a bad -5v regulator, then yes, the EMPLANT board would not work. EMPLANT works with NTSC or PAL machines, and the Mac emulation knew which type of machine it was running on, just as a real Mac does.

Thank you for the information. It looks like that I have the last revision made and it does not support the e586 emulation.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:05:05 PM by VCNW »

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 01:05:18 AM »
Jim,

I located another card and this one looks even newer. GAL1 & GAL3 have P1-0595-P labels which I will assume it is Version P, release in Feb, 1995. Most of the sockets (1-4) are populated with Apple chips.

Do you have a picture of this mysterious 586 chip?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:10:15 AM by VCNW »

Offline magnetic

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »
The apple chips on this new board are the Roms..

@ Jim Drew

Glad to see you posting here.. funny story for you, years ago in the mid to late ninties I got a scsi Zip drive for my Amiga. I called Iomega for some reason and talked to tech support. He asked me the platform I said "Amiga" he laughed and said they were running Amigas with Emplant boards doing Mac emulation or something like this..(cant remember it was years ago) but weird and true story
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 01:29:28 AM »
I forgot to add picture of the 0595 revision PEELs

Offline mdivancic

• Show only replies by mdivancic
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 02:03:12 AM »
Anyone know where to get the latest software for the EMPLANT card?
Mikey
Amiga 4000T (QuickPak), OS 3.9, QuickPak 060 w/128 MB, Picasso IV, A2065, AD516
Atari Falcon 030, CT-63 w/128MB @ 76MHz, 14 MB RamGizmo, SuperVidel + SVEthLANa
Atari TT030, CaTTamaran, 4 MB ST Ram, 16 MB TT Ram, ECL2VGA
Commodore 128D, 1084S monitor, RAMLink, 4GB CMD Harddrive
Commodore SX-64

Offline Pakrat

• Show only replies by Pakrat
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 02:17:25 AM »
I've got an Emplant card, bought secondhand several years ago (it looks to be in mint condition), but I've never done anything with it. I do have some original Mac II ROMS lying around here somewhere, but I can't currently do anything with the card as all my Amigas except my 1200 (and maybe my 1000) are dead and disassembled. My 1200 has an intermittent keyboard, so I'm not currently using it either, and my Amiga withdrawal has not eased at all since my 4000 died a couple years ago (I just don't have the money right now to get any of them fixed). I'm typing this on my Mac Powerbook G4, which for is me is preferable to using any version of Windows, but I'd still much prefer to boot my '060 4K into OS 3.9. That card has always struck me as an example of the incredible creativity that surrounds the Amiga.
Amiga 4000: OS 3.9, 136M FastRAM, Cyberstorm MK-III 68060/50, 18G UWSCSI Seagate Cheetah (10K RPM), 4G SCSI Seagate Barracuda, Cybervision 64/3D, IOBlix, Oktagon 2008, Ariadne II connected wirelessly to an Apple Airport Extreme, viewed with a 19" NEC Multisync 95 CRT in 1280x1024x64K colors *only Amiga makes it paw-sible*

Offline JimDrew

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by JimDrew
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 08:57:55 PM »
Quote from: Pentad;720548
Jim:

I thought the Emplant was an amazing product when it was released.  People could not believe the Mac emulation on my Amiga.

I always wondered:

1.  How many Emplants were sold total?

2.  How many revisions of the software did you make?  I remember the first revisions were pretty rough and only ran in Chip Memory (I think).  However, it didn't take long for the software to really mature and work amazingly well.

3.  Did you ever get any flak from Apple on it?

4.  How well did the e586 sell?  I remember it being released but by that time I saw the Commodore ship sinking and jumped to another platform (Mac then Windows).  

5.  Did you ever consider selling Emplant without the board?  Especially after ShapeShifter appeared?

I have found memories of Emplant, thanks for such a great product!!!

-P

1) More than 10,000 EMPLANT boards were sold.
2) A bunch!!  v2.6 was the last official, but there was a v2.7 available through our BBS before UUI went out of business.
3) No, Apple was impressed.  I demo'd it for Scully at their head quarters in Cupertino.  They pretended to be interested to see if we were violating any laws, which we weren't.
4) I know we had over 1,000 back orders when it was first released, but I don't know the final sales total.
5) We did!  After it was known that Shapeshifter was created from stolen Amax IV and EMPLANT code, I released several different versions.  MacII was one, and the last was FUSION (later to be FUSION-PPC for the Amiga PPC version and FUSION-PC for the PC version).  Both MacII and FUSION for the Amiga supported the EMPLANT board if you had one.

The P1-5095-P chip (sometimes colored RED) is the one required for the e586 support.

I have over 400 brand new EMPLANT boards sitting in storage that I will be putting up for sale on my new website that I am launching early next year.  The website will be selling all kinds of Commodore stuff, so it is appropriately named: www.cbmstuff.com

Iomega and several other Mac based companies used EMPLANT boards for setting up and duplicating hard drives.  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:42:12 PM by JimDrew »

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
Quote from: mdivancic;720584
Anyone know where to get the latest software for the EMPLANT card?

I found this on the other Amiga forum....Good luck...

English Amiga Board : The Zone

Emplant.rar with the following contents in The Zone!:
  • Emplant e586DX (1995)(Utilities Unlimited)[req. Emplant][WB].adf
  • Emplant e586DX v2.0 (1995)(Utilities Unlimited)[req. Emplant][WB].adf
  • Emplant v4.2 (1994)(Utilities Unlimited)[WB].adf
  • Emplant v4.6 (1994)(Utilities Unlimited)[WB].adf
  • Emplant v5.0 (1994)(Utilities Unlimited)[WB].adf
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:13:53 PM by VCNW »