Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Transfer files from PC to Amiga 500  (Read 4111 times)

Description:

Offline RollyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Rolly
Transfer files from PC to Amiga 500
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
Hi, you'll have to excuse me if the answer to this already is to be found at this forum, I tried to search with no luck though.

What I wonder is how I can transfer files from my PC to my Amiga 500 with a nullmodem cable. I started out trying Amiga Explorer but then I discovered I had to have the Amiga Explorer on my Amiga as well on my PC, which I don't have.

I also checked out the "adf sender terminal" but didn't quite figure out how to use it.

Anyone got a very easy step by step way of doing it?
If there is even ANY easier way of doing it I'm thankful for feedback :)

I'd appreciate any help that would solve my problem once and for all :)

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
Re: Transfer files from PC to Amiga 500
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »
that has been answered many times. iirc, you'd need at least some software on Amiga. unless your PC can write Amiga floppies (unlikely). Do you have Workbench? extras?

I'd use ZMODEM with programs like terminus.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline k4lmp

• Show only replies by k4lmp
    • http://www.k4lmp.org
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »
Right click on the Amiga Explorer icon on your PC, and run "Setup".  It explains how to transfer AE to your Amiga over the null modem cable.  Very easy to do.

Check out my post on this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66691  I explained to another person how to do the AE transfer.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:44:06 PM by k4lmp »

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
Thanks for answering. I do have Workbench yes, not sure 'bout extras. I'll check it out and sorry for the redundant question :sealed:

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
Quote from: Rolly;717098

Hi, you'll have to excuse me if the answer to this already is to be found at this forum, I tried to search with no luck though.

What I wonder is how I can transfer files from my PC to my Amiga 500 with a nullmodem cable. I started out trying Amiga Explorer but then I discovered I had to have the Amiga Explorer on my Amiga as well on my PC, which I don't have.

I also checked out the "adf sender terminal" but didn't quite figure out how to use it.

Oh - it's been a while since I fired up one of my A500s and tried to exchange data with other computers - but what I remember is this:
Using a nullmodem cable you will transfer the data via serial interface.
I always prefered data transfer via the parallel interface for transfer speed reasons.
For this you need a PARnet cable and the PARnet software (or this version: PARnet software).
That way data transfer between old low spec Amigas is quiete convenient.

But perhaps today in the modern times it could also be a solution to get hold of a clock port expansion for the A500 (I have a weak remembrance that once there was a hardware add-on for the A500 offering an A1200-compatible-clockport, but can't remember the name a.t.m.. There you could (in theory) connect one of E3B's USB cards for clockport(Algor/Subway), that can be operated with Anaiis USB stack for low-spec Amigas.
Now you can connect USB-keyboard and USB-mouse. Possibly also a 10 mBit network interface card works? That should allow for the fastest possible file transfer with old, low spec Amigas...

But I never tested the USB solution - therefor I wrote "in theory". I don't know for sure if a network card works with Anaiis - but you could ask Gilloo:
Contact address
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Any mail, comments, suggestions, documentations are welcome!

Please send a mail with the title "ANAIIS" at the following mail address
gilles dot pelletier at voila dot fr

Enjoy USB on old classic Amiga.
And remember: Only Amiga makes it possible!
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
I used Dos-2-Dos for transfers between my PC and A500.
Check this post
CD32
A500

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »
I'm grateful for the feedback, still I haven't been able to do it. Must admit I'm a bit confused, there seems to be so many ways of doin' it but I don't seem to understand any of them.

With my last try, I used ADF Sender Terminal. Tried to transfer a file called "transwarplong", before that i should type "type ser: to ram:transwarp" in the shell on the amiga. The transfer seemed to work on the pc, but then I should hit ctrl+c on the amiga... but nothing happens....

Feels so strange this should be so difficult when so many knows how to do it...
I really don't care about the speed, I just want connection and be able to load adf-files to diskettes for use on the amiga.

If there is such a thing as a straight forward, easy, step-by-step instruction on how to do it with just an amiga 500, a nullmodem cable and pc I would be a happy man.

I do have Workbench 1.3 available and downloaded ADF Sender Terminal.

:cry:

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:19:16 PM »
Where are you located?
Might be able to send you a floppy with the software on it already..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
I'm located in Norway, I'll be happy to pay you for a floppy disk though, If I could pay via Paypal :)

Offline desiv

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »
Quote from: Rolly;717846
I'm located in Norway, I'll be happy to pay you for a floppy disk though, If I could pay via Paypal :)
I could and would be willing..
But Norway is a bit away from Oregon...

Maybe someone closer could help out?

If not, let me know and I'll post one......
(No idea how much postage would cost; never shipped out of the country...)

desiv

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
Quote from: Rolly;717686
With my last try, I used ADF Sender Terminal. Tried to transfer a file called "transwarplong", before that i should type "type ser: to ram:transwarp" in the shell on the amiga. The transfer seemed to work on the pc, but then I should hit ctrl+c on the amiga... but nothing happens....

Feels so strange this should be so difficult when so many knows how to do it...
I really don't care about the speed, I just want connection and be able to load adf-files to diskettes for use on the amiga.

If there is such a thing as a straight forward, easy, step-by-step instruction on how to do it with just an amiga 500, a nullmodem cable and pc I would be a happy man.
Oy, this brings back some memories. For starters, have you verified that the null-modem connection is working? Try simply type ser: on the Amiga and send some text from the PC - does it show up correctly? If not, double-check that the serial settings are identical on both.

If that's working, then the transwarplong method should work just fine...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »
Now I have actually managed to transfer Transdisk to the workbench disk... so, it really works... but now what? What do I do? I have not been able to figure that out so far... Should I copy it from there to a new disk?

Offline desiv

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »
Quote from: Rolly;717938
Now I have actually managed to transfer Transdisk to the workbench disk... so, it really works... but now what? What do I do? I have not been able to figure that out so far... Should I copy it from there to a new disk?
Definitely, you want a copy..  (maybe a few)  ;-)

OK, I usually use transwarp, which is similar, but not exactly the same, so I googled for the command line and options to transdisk.

If you've copied transdisk to your df0:, you'd do something like this:

c:transdisk -w ser: -d trackdisk 1

That will write the image to a floppy in your external drive. (df1)
(Well, it will ask you to start the transfer from ADF Sender Termninal, and then it should start writing to DF1)

If you don't have an external, use "trackdisk 0".  In that case, I'd copy transdisk to RAM from whatever floppy you have it on, so you can call it with "ram:transdisk" and not have to worry about swapping that disk in and out and/or overwriting the wrong floppy.  ;-)

Also, I believe transdisk uses your Amiga WB serial prefs, so you need to set those.
For the first transfers, I'd suggest 19,200.  I had good luck with that baud rate.  If you have troubles, 9600 is a slow but safe bet.
Just make sure that ADF Sender Terminal is using the same baud rate (and other settings (8N1)).

Good Luck!

desiv
(If you can do 9600 but not 19,200, try lowering the resolution (interlace off) and number of colors for your WB.  It can actually make a difference. )

Offline nickoteen

• Show only replies by nickoteen
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »
Quote from: Rolly;717098

Had the same problem some six months ago when I first started playing with my A500 and AExplorer.

To make the long story short, it all comes to this:

1.) You need AExplorer setup on PC
2.) You NEED AExplorer executable (file) on Amiga side as well

I've tried EVERYTHING to make AExplorer transfer itself to real Amiga and failed numerous times. Followed instructions to the letter of every word, changed numerous null-modem cables, made an exact null-modem cable compliant to AExplorer specifications ... nothing worked. The file NEVER sucesfully transfered itself to the Amiga side. That is ... until !

I changed my KS version from 1.3 to 2.04 (A500+). For some reason, under KS 1.3, transfer of AExplorer Amiga component was a no go for me.

After KS change (when you run AE on PC it asks you what KS you have. 1.3 or higher), everything worked like a charm, regardless of the cable. Even with a generic (non AE compliant) null-modem cable, the transfer went like intendent.

So .. KS 2.04 is 10 dollars more or less on ebay (I'd go for 3.1 if you decide to change your 1.3. Around 20 bucks a piece if I remember correctly).

Once you have AExplorer on the Amiga disk (Amiga side), you can transfer ADFs just like that.

Hope this helps.
Amiga 500: 1MB chip/8MB fast/Ide68k - 2GB SD/KS 3.1/MC68010/FULL ECS

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
Quote from: desiv;717945
If you've copied transdisk to your df0:, you'd do something like this:

c:transdisk -w ser: -d trackdisk 1

When I try that command I get error code 121

"Unable to load c:transdisk: error code 121"

:huh: