Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: owb on real amiga!!  (Read 3214 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzonTopic starter

owb on real amiga!!
« on: November 16, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »
here we go!! yesterday night i managed to get aros owb 68k version working on my aros68k test install on my miggy!

the config in question is
a4000d
mediator4000di (currently only zorro boards are usable under aros)
stock csppc060/50-128mb (ppc isnt being used under aros68k of course)
x-surf
cybervision64

the machine is attached to my router via x-surf lan running under copy of miamidx. arostcp stack doesnt seem to be functional on 68k yet, but miami is. browsers like aweb or netsurf work anyway.

owb in question is the genuine and actually abandoned aros owb port by szymczyk. its not the odyssey browser by fab, ported by deadwood.
the browser needs few minutes to load. if it takes ages then its likely parsing too many ttf fonts. the overall speed is not paricularly overwhelming but much better than i expected, simple pages load in few seconds, aorg has taken longer. complex pages like bbc.co.uk get stuck. many others like google do not load. the memory requirement is acceptable, ive been always left with more than 90 megs free when browsing. due to endian problems owb retrieves urls on a wrong port which has to be addressed every time a page is attempted to load. just append ":20480" to the url. also graphics are shown in wrong colors which is an endian issue. i guess there are quite few more of them..  

but so far i think its a great development.

edit: here is the appropriate thread on aros-exec:
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7745&post_id=75719#forumpost75719
thanks to toni willen and __amigan for instructions.

there is a particularity about the fonts installation before anybody tries to duplicate my achievement. read about it there.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:12:25 PM by wawrzon »

Re: owb on real amiga!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »
endiannes problems corrected, here aros owb displaying bbc.co.uk on my a4k/060/xsurf/cv64:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »
Looks good. How well does it handle different picture formats.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
owb must currently be set to handling images via datatypes. internal decoding causes illegal memory accesses and crash. there is possiblility to set usage of bmp, png, gif and jpg dadatypes in owb prefs. i have an impression that aros gif datatype is not finished, but as you see the web content usually is rendered correctly.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
That is remarkable!
Congratulations.
Don't let anyone belittle this by making foolish comparisons to, say, web browsing with a C64.

With some work, this could actually be used.
As AROS68K, FPGA, and Legacy Amiga hardware improve this might adequately work.

That is SO cool!
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
congratulations must solely go to jason mcmullan, who enabled compiling of c++ code for aros 68k, enabled owb and necessary libraries to build and fixed the endiannes errors.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »
Awesome!  How is the rest of Aros-m68k looking?  I've been wanting to put it on my A4000D, but is the stock processor adequate?  

I'm still working on my Radeon resolutions so they don't randomly lock up after loading some programs (it's perfectly stable if I don't do anything, but as soon as I start loading things up, like Genesis and then amIRC, it locks).

Would love to replace OS3.9 with Aros-m68k, as soon as it's ready / stable.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »
@slaapliedje
it sounds like you let your application decide what screen to open. when using mediator you shouldnt use different endian resolutions at the same time, it doesnt necessarily crash your system at once but it might be risky.

aros doesnt currently support amiga pci bridges. it recognizes the devices on my mediator but thats it. what concerns stock a4000 processor whether you talk of 030 or 040 id consider them too slow to have fun, especially you are restricted to 16 mb slow fast ram on motherboard or similarly slow zorro card.

i would advise you to keep waiting till it has improved, except you have programming or debugging knowledge and can contribute to aros somehow.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 01:38:54 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;715739
endiannes problems corrected, here aros owb displaying bbc.co.uk on my a4k/060/xsurf/cv64:

Wow!   Great stuff!!!

I believe Meditaor graphics card support is planned, so I'm not about to rip my CV643D out of my A2000 and shove it in my A4000 to test it, but when I can use the Radeon in my A4000 then I look forward to testing this.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 01:52:15 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;715796
Wow!   Great stuff!!!

I

That what I've been saying. Good times for 68K.
Hey, you'd be the one to know.
Could the Arcade with an '60 handle something like this?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 02:00:23 AM »
so far i know jason demoed aros68k on fpga arcade on amiwest, but its nowhere to see. there is some incompatibility in ide implementation on fpga core, so it isnt available yet.

furtherly i can confirm that thanks to jason endian fix arostcp stack started working on my a4k with the genuine xsurf.device. it seems slower than miamidx, that ive installed to substitute it as long as it was broken, but it works now.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 02:04:14 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;715804
so far i know jason demoed aros68k on fpga arcade on amiwest, but its nowhere to see. there is some incompatibility in ide implementation on fpga core, so it isnt available yet.

furtherly i can confirm that thanks to jason endian fix arostcp stack started working on my a4k with the genuine xsurf.device. it seems slower than miamidx, that ive installed to substitute it as long as it was broken, but it works now.

Nice to  know we move closer to a day when we own the OS.
We kept this stuff alive, why shouldn't it be ours?

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »
Nice to know we move closer to a day when we own the OS.

if you have aros in mind we already own the os, we just need to make it better than the original in all aspects which it isnt yet.
We kept this stuff alive, why shouldn't it be ours?

exactly.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;715801
That what I've been saying. Good times for 68K.
Hey, you'd be the one to know.
Could the Arcade with an '60 handle something like this?

Well I havce the FPGA Arcade, but I don't have the daughterboard yet.  I would expect the result to be even better than a 68060 on a Classic due to to the improved RAM performance and if we have the 68060 clocked at 100MHz then even better!  :)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
@darrin: dont forget zorro bottleneck zo rtg board. btw i have not yet tried if aros owb works on amiga native screens, does fpgaarcade provides some sort of rtg emulation? if so the question would be and aros driver for it. winuae has its native p96 emu, and real amigas use a p96 wrapper under aros68k to access zorro rtg cards.