Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: G-Force 030 Again  (Read 2101 times)

Description:

Offline k4lmpTopic starter

• Show only replies by k4lmp
    • http://www.k4lmp.org
G-Force 030 Again
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »
So my G-force 030 is in and working.  I figured I would just start a new thread to deal with the issue I'm having.  So thanks to my new friend DutchinUSA, I now have 13 meg of memory on my board, thanks again Dutchin.  If I boot up and run SysInfo, it shows up with 13 meg of 32-bit fast ram, starting at $01000000.  If I put my A2058 board in, with it set to 2, 4, or 8 meg, the machine will not boot, but I get the black w/red text software error or failure screen, and it reboots, again, and again.  So, with the 2 meg of chip ram, and 13 meg of 32-bit fast ram, can I not have any regular 24-bit fast ram.  I was thinking that the regular 24-bit fast ram was mapped to a lower value, and that the reason the 32-bit ram started at $01000000 was to avoid conflict with the regular fast ram.  I thought this was considered extended fast ram.  So, the board I have is completely different to the book.  From what I have read, GVP was infamous for this on these boards.  It is an 030 running at 25 mhz, actually, it has a 22 mhz crystal, so that is the true speed.  What is the maximum ram I can have, and any suggestions on the jumper settings?  I attached pictures of the card.  Thanks.

Another note, it probably doesn't matter on the memory part, but I did upgrade the autoboot ROM to 4.15.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:58:25 PM by k4lmp »

Offline motrucker

Re: G-Force 030 Again
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »
That's the most basic 030 card GVP made. IIRC, you are stuck with what RAM you can use on that card - other RAM cards will not play with it.
If you do find a way around it - please let me know.... I have the 40MHz version of that card.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline orcish75

• Show only replies by orcish75
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
My GVP Geforce is the 33MHz version of your card, it also has the 68030 and 68882 soldered directly to the board. My board revision is rev. 3 and I see yours is rev. 4 but hopefully the jumpers are the same. I'm running 8MB 24-bit RAM on my HC+8 card and 16MB 32-bit RAM on my Geforce 030 together without problems. It shows 24MB on my workbench screen.

In order for it to work with your A2058 board, you'll need to set all your RAM on the 030 board to extended. According to my manual, you'll need to make sure that jumper J10 is shorted and jumper J13 is open. When your 32-bit RAM is set to extended, the address should start at $08000000. If it's lower than this it hasn't been set to extended properly.

The maximum RAM you can have on the 22MHz 030 board is 13MB as the RAM that is soldered on the 030 board is 1MB, so in addition to your 3 x 4MB SIMMs, you'll have a maximum of 13MB. The 33MHz and 50 MHz versions of this card had 4MB RAM soldered on the board.

The 4.15 ROM might bring up an interesting point about the RAM in terms of configuring it for the OS. I recall that when I removed the GURU ROM from my card, the 16MB 32-bit RAM was no longer automatically added to list of memory, it only showed the 8MB 24-bit auto-configured RAM. You might need to use the ADDMEM program to add in the 13MB extended RAM. I'll investigate this further for you on my system.

Once you get all your RAM configured, don't forget to use the SETCPU program to set your caches on the CPU and to load your kickstart ROM into 32-bit RAM for a huge speed increase.

Cheers

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 12:24:49 AM »
Thanks a bunch, I'll check on those two jumpers and get back with you.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:12 AM »
OK, so J13 is open, and J10 is shorted.  Here  are the other jumpers on the board:

CN7 Jumper on pins 2&3 On the pointed end
CN8 Jumper on pins 2&3 On the pointed end
J20 open
J4 open
J8 open
J9 shorted
J3 open
J6 open
J7 shorted
J19 shorted
J11 open
J12 shorted
J14 open
J16 open

Like I said, my manual is not the same as what is actually on my board, I don't know what is up with that.  Thanks a lot!

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:16:27 AM »
OK, more info.  It seems to be a problem with ClassicWB ADVSP.  I can boot from a workbench 3.1 floppy, and it shows over 20 meg fast memory free at the top, and 2 meg chip memory free.  If I try to boot it this way with the HD and ClassicWB, I get the software failure, and rolling re-boots.  The funny thing is, also, if I run GVPCpuCtrl FASTROM, which is the later version of SetCPU, it tells me I must have an 030 or 060 accelerator to run that software.  But, when I do get ClassicWB to run, without the A2058, using the Combo Card's ram only, it says ECS 030 at the top.  It is weird.  Of course the manual that I have isn't right, so this probably isn't the right software for this card, either.  I think this is a strange version of the card that isn't common or something.

Offline orcish75

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »
Ah OK! I'm running standard WB 3.1 without any add-ons etc. Still, seems strange that ClassicWB would cause such issues. Perhaps there's some other SetCPU or ADDMEM type program in your Startup-Sequence that's trying to put your extended RAM into Zorro-II space and causing the conflicts.

Go into your S: folder on your HDD and rename Startup-Sequence to Startup-Sequence.old or something like that. (Whatever you do, don't delete it!) Do the same for your user-startup file. Copy the Startup-Sequence in S: from your WB 3.1 floppy disk to S: on your HDD and do the same for your user-startup.

Have your WB 3.1 floppy handy just in case your Amiga doesn't want to reboot! Reboot your Amiga from the HDD and check that the memory displays the correct amount. Obviously ClassicWB and any other programs you had in your original Startup-Sequence won't load, but think of this as a "Safe Mode" for your Amiga.

If your Amiga booted up properly with all the memory showing correctly, then  rename the current Startup-Sequence to Startup-Sequence.original or something and then rename your Startup-Sequence.old to Startup-Sequence. Do the same for your User-Startup. Edit your Startup-Sequence and check for any lines that load a SetCPU or ADDMEM type program and edit it out by typing ; at the beginning of the line. Also check your User-Startup for any ADDMEM type programs.

Reboot and see what happens!

I'll set up my A2000 this weekend to be the same as yours, I have an A2058 in my other A2000 and install ClassicWB on it. I'll play around and see if I can replicate your problem. I'll also take note of all my jumper settings and let you know.

PM me your e-mail address, I've scanned my GVP 030 manual and I'll send it to you. Perhaps it's slightly different from your manual.

Cheers

If I remember correctly, I had issues with the  GVPCpuCtrl on my board and that's why I used SetCPU instead. Worth a try I guess.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:48:35 AM by orcish75 »

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 05:30:04 AM »
OK, I got an update.  I installed ClassicWB Lite on a CF card, and it works fine with the Gforce.  The SetCPU CACHE FASTROM command works fine.  No crashes, so it must be something with the ADVSP version.  I am going to try the Full version and see what it does.  Thanks.

Re: G-Force 030 Again ClassicWB
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 06:43:14 AM »
So, I found that everything I've tried on Lite works OK, except when I run Dopus, and click the C button to configure, then it goes to the same software failure.  Everything seems OK except for that.  On the Full version, it boots fine, and crashes on simple functions like opening a shell.

Re: G-Force 030 Again ClassicWB
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 07:34:40 AM »
So, I now have ClassicWB 68K loaded, SetCPU CACHE FASTROM command is in startup-sequence.  Machine boots up fine, is fast, and no problems so far, even when configuring Dopus.

Offline orcish75

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
Hi,

I spent most of last night and the early hours of the morning trying all sorts of combos to try replicate your problem. In fact, you managed to get further than I did with your setup! I have the 12MB 32-bit ram on my Geforce 030 card set as extended RAM at $01000000. I have the A2058 with 8MB autoconfig fastram at $00200000 and my 2MB Chipmem starting at $00000000. I have the GVP 4.15 ROM on the Geforce 030 card with jumper J9 shorted and Jumper J4 open to allow auto booting.

I preconfigured a SCSI HDD in WinUAE with ClassicWB ADVSP and tested with WinUAE to ensure that it was set up correctly. I then connected the HDD to the SCSI connector on the Geforce 030 board (ensuring termination, termination power etc was all correctly configured) and turned on my A2000. The HDD initialised, activity LED flashed but would not boot from the HDD. It just showed the purple insert floppy screen. I switched off and double checked everything, but with the same result.

I removed the A2058 RAM card and the A2000 booted perfectly, ClassicWB was perfectly stable with no crashes, all the programs I tried worked 100%. This is the same result that you had, except when I had the A2058 installed, it wouldn't boot at all, it didn't get as far as showing the red GURU text. I then tried every trick in the book that I could think of to try get it to boot with the A2058 installed. Absolutely nothing worked. Changed the RAM size on the A2058, all with the same results that you had, a no go!

I then replaced the A2058 card with my GVP A2000HC+8 with 6MB memory on board. Still the same result, it would just not boot if the autoconfig ram was installed. I then removed the HDD off the Geforce 030 SCSI controller and put it on the HC+8 SCSI controller. The HC+8 controller also has a GVP 4.15 ROM on it and I closed J4 for auto-booting. VOILA! The A2000 booted into ClassicWB without a problem and it showed 18MB fastram at the top. I also tested everything I could to get ClassicWB to crash, but it was 100% stable.

I then removed all the RAM out of the HC+8 and plugged in the A2058 as well. I set the jumpers on the A2058 to 8MB and switched on the A2000. It booted up again perfectly without issues, now showing 20MB fastram at the top. I then tried to get ClassicWB to crash, but it was still 100% stable. Ater a lot more fiddling, I discovered that the GVP 4.15 ROM was not needed in the HC+8 card as the A2000 was loading the driver from the 4.15 ROM on the Geforce 030 board. I discovered that the GVP 4.15 ROM definitely configures the extended RAM on the 030 board and makes it available to the OS. I worked it out by removing the ROM from the 030 board and plugging it into the HC+8 board only. When I booted it up in this configuration, it only showed 8MB fastram at the top and the machine was much slower, indicating that the 32-bit RAM was not being used.

After everything I tried last night, I concluded that if you want to use ClassicWB on your system, you'll need to either remove the A2058 completely or get another GVP series II SCSI controller in one of your Zorro slots and boot off that rather. (You must get a series II controller, unfortunately the series I controller you have won't work as the 4.15 ROM doesn't recognise it.)

I really tried everything I could to get it to boot off the Geforce 030 SCSI controller with the A2058 installed, but it just wouldn't do it, even with my WB3.1 installation. Hopefully someone else here has an explanation. :huh:

Cheers!

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 03:18:20 AM »
Well, thanks to Orcish75, everything works now on my A2000HD.  It was something with having Zorro II RAM installed, while using the SCSI controller on-board the 030 combo card.  I removed the A2058, and now have only the 13 meg 32-bit fast ram on the combo board.  I installed ClassicWB 3.5 and everything worked fine.  I was even able to burn a CD with MakeCD.  According to Orcish, if you were to use a different Zorro II SCSI controller, you can add the extra fast ram, but using the on-board controller, it crashes pretty much all ClassicWB.  I am using the on-board controller now, with no additional fast ram.  Thanks Orcish75 for all your help.

Offline orcish75

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »
Hi,

Glad to hear you've got it working properly now! (even if it's without the A2058 board) The only other thing I can think of is perhaps your A2058 board has a faulty RAM chip on it, if not, then I have no idea, Sorry! :(

Cheers