Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Amiga Group formed for london, who's with me?  (Read 3935 times)

Description:

Offline MightyzorlacTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mightyzorlac
    • http://www.mhftech.net
New Amiga Group formed for london, who's with me?
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:31:32 AM »
I was a member of an Amiga group in North London years ago, I want to start an new Amiga group for London and the UK to promote the Amiga platform , meet up for gaming on classic systems, start new Amiga hardware projects, advice, keeping the Amiga community  alive for the 21st century  etc .

There are only 2 other's I know who still love and play Amiga in London , so support is pretty thin on the ground. Anytime I go to PC or apple show and start talking to people about Amiga, I just get weird looks. I want to reach out to anyone interested in attending our meetings every 2 weeks or who want to help.

Who's with me in keeping the dream alive? I know this is probably not the place to post this,and it might piss some people off(I'm sorry:o)  but we have to start to build up small Amiga groups up and down the country , thus build:D support and awareness of a truly great platform. And who Knows it might build and build into something much bigger?We have to start again from some where.  I have thought about A-ON sponsoring us and have sent an email. How many people in the uk are members of this site? would be good to get a headcount of these cool free thinking lot.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:34:30 AM by Mightyzorlac »

Offline chris

Re: New Amiga Group formed for london, who's with me?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »
Quote from: Mightyzorlac;714765
I was a member of an Amiga group in North London years ago, I want to start an new Amiga group for London

ANT is still going.  http://www.amiganorththames.co.uk
If you can get to Enfield I'd suggest joining ANT rather than starting your own group.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 04:40:46 PM »
It sounds like a good idea! Of course, I've done some searches recently and only found the Amiga North Thames group with their dedicated website. I live in central London. Unfortunately, although I made plans to attend this meeting, I've always failed to make it so far. One of the reasons I didn't make it was due to the fact that I have no real idea what I'd find once I got there. This is due to the simple fact that in spite of their impressive looking website, Amiga North Thames have failed to provide any means of contacting them! Questions I wanted to ask them included "Do you stick to the meeting times listed on your website, or if I only managed to arrive an hour before the end might I find you've already left or are just finishing packing up?", as well as "Do I have to pay an admission fee or membership fee to gain entry, or not until before I decide whether or not to come back?".

I hope you'll be providing these details about your meetings in advance to anyone who would be interested in turning up.

Offline Multivac

• Show only replies by Multivac
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »
Quote from: AmigaBruno;715983
It sounds like a good idea! Of course, I've done some searches recently and only found the Amiga North Thames group with their dedicated website. I live in central London. Unfortunately, although I made plans to attend this meeting, I've always failed to make it so far. One of the reasons I didn't make it was due to the fact that I have no real idea what I'd find once I got there. This is due to the simple fact that in spite of their impressive looking website, Amiga North Thames have failed to provide any means of contacting them! Questions I wanted to ask them included "Do you stick to the meeting times listed on your website, or if I only managed to arrive an hour before the end might I find you've already left or are just finishing packing up?", as well as "Do I have to pay an admission fee or membership fee to gain entry, or not until before I decide whether or not to come back?".

I hope you'll be providing these details about your meetings in advance to anyone who would be interested in turning up.

ANT usually sticks to the published dates and times. If there is something special about the meeting eg demo of a new Amiga, OS etc then the extra info will be posted on a forum or more.

We usually stay to the end as some of our regulars have a habit of turning up well after 13:00.

Come along to the next meeting and see what you think. Refreshments including cakes are provided (Yum!).

Offline Mikey_C

• Show only replies by Mikey_C
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 07:59:27 AM »
Amiga users are very welcome to Amiga North Thames - As long as you can get down to us, there is no need to worry where you are based.

Myself and one other member hail from North Cambridgeshire, Another occassionally drops in from Southampton way, couple from the far reaches of east essex, etc, so as you can see, not everyone is local. Lucky people who live in London, they can get there relatively easily, what with all that public transport and what not.

Amiga North Thames is into its 13th Year (14th in January)

Cheers all.
YNWA!

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Quote from: Multivac;716010
ANT usually sticks to the published dates and times. If there is something special about the meeting eg demo of a new Amiga, OS etc then the extra info will be posted on a forum or more.

We usually stay to the end as some of our regulars have a habit of turning up well after 13:00.

Come along to the next meeting and see what you think. Refreshments including cakes are provided (Yum!).

OK, but you've still failed to tell me if there's an admission or membership fee which I have to pay before I decide whether or not I want to come back.

Apart from this, why are there no contact details on your website?!

Offline Mikey_C

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
The email - contact list should have been there, it used to point to a joint email box, I will get it back up and running.

We have mentioned it before when advertising an event to the club. In essence....

1st time attendees are admitted free, there is no charge, donations to club funds are welcome however. :-)

There is no membership fee, its pay as you go -£4.00 ukp per meeting.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:18:39 PM by Mikey_C »
YNWA!

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 06:44:50 AM »
Quote from: Mikey_C;716085
1st time attendees are admitted free, there is no charge...

I can attest to that.  I visited the club in 2011, and everybody was very accommodating.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Offline Mikey_C

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 10:06:27 AM »
Quote from: AmigaBruno;716071
OK, but you've still failed to tell me if there's an admission or membership fee which I have to pay before I decide whether or not I want to come back.

Apart from this, why are there no contact details on your website?!

Okay, now all your questions are answered, I take it we can expect you at the next meeting? :-)
YNWA!

Offline Mikey_C

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
One Final note, A contact us link (Mailto) and details of how much it costs to attend has now been added to the website.

I notice from the Poll that 10 people are interested, I hope those 10 people who are interested in starting a usergroup in London will at some point attend one of our meetings. We don't bite honest!!
YNWA!

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
I think there's one in Essex too which is quite close to East London.

It's always great to meet people into the same thing, be it Star Trek or Amiga :)

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »
Well, I finally went to an Amiga North Thames meeting on December 9! I actually arrived early, hung round outside for a little while, then went in 8 minutes before it was due to start. I don't own an Amiga at the moment, but have owned an A500, A600, and A1200. I think there were 10 other people who attended who all seemed to know each other already. I forgot to count all the Amigas, but they seemed to be mainly ACube Sam systems. I also saw two Amiga A1200s and one A4000. I think all but the classic Amigas were running AmigaOS 4.1. There was no sign of MorphOS or AROS. There were also a couple of laptops running MS Windows! I wondered why they weren't running Linux, because AmigaOS and Linux are both descended from UNIX. There was also a Mac Powerbook running Mac OSX, which is partly based on UNIX.  I had a good look at two Amigas running AmigaOS 4.1, both running the Origyn web browser. I had a conversation with a programmer who creates utilities using PortablE, based on the earlier language Amiga E. He also edited some Javascript code to enable YouTube videos to be viewed after a recent change by YouTube. During my time at the meeting, I noticed that the machines running AmigaOS 4.1 all booted up by displaying a text screen first of all, like with a PC BIOS ROM, unlike classic Amiga Kickstart ROMs or Apple Mac ROMs. I also noticed that there was an X Windows server, as with Linux but not with Android which is based on Linux. I wonder if AmigaOS 4.1 is compatible with Linux up to a point? I found a game called Super Tux, which had been ported from Linux, but it crashed, bringing up a Guru Meditation and a Grim Reaper error. MP3 music and AVI files were played. Users could swtich between AmigaOS 4.1 and UAE, as well as DOSBox to run MS-DOS games. I certainly saw a lot during my time there and it was well worth the visit!

Offline chris

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »
Quote from: AmigaBruno;718312
I had a good look at two Amigas running AmigaOS 4.1, both running the Origyn web browser.

I will make a point of showing you NetSurf next time. :)

I had a conversation with a programmer who creates utilities using PortablE, based on the earlier language Amiga E. He also edited some Javascript code to enable YouTube videos to be viewed after a recent change by YouTube.

That was Chris H, actually he wrote PortablE.  I'm the other Chris who was there btw.

During my time at the meeting, I noticed that the machines running AmigaOS 4.1 all booted up by displaying a text screen first of all, like with a PC BIOS ROM, unlike classic Amiga Kickstart ROMs or Apple Mac ROMs.

That's U-Boot.  It loads Kickstart off disk which then boots as you'd expect.

I also noticed that there was an X Windows server, as with Linux but not with Android which is based on Linux. I wonder if AmigaOS 4.1 is compatible with Linux up to a point?

It has some POSIX compatbility.  The X Windows server is AmiCygnix, it's quite good for making easy UNIX ports but not very integrated with the native GUI.

I certainly saw a lot during my time there and it was well worth the visit!

Glad you enjoyed yourself!
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »
Quote from: chris;718399
I will make a point of showing you NetSurf next time. :)

That was Chris H, actually he wrote PortablE.  I'm the other Chris who was there btw.

That's U-Boot.  It loads Kickstart off disk which then boots as you'd expect.

It has some POSIX compatbility.  The X Windows server is AmiCygnix, it's quite good for making easy UNIX ports but not very integrated with the native GUI.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

I think I clicked on NetSurf, but I don't think anything happened.

Having a name for something (i.e. U-Boot) doesn't make it alright, as in "OMG, that bouncer's beating the **** out of that clubber!", "Don't worry, that's called He-Boot". I fail to see why U-Boot starts with a text screen, which harks back to the days before the original Apple Mac, that came out in 1984, as well as before its ancestor the Apple Lisa in 1983. PC BIOS ROMs were designed to be compatible with the original IBM PC, which came out in 1981 without any graphics. The classic Amigas always displayed graphic boot screens AFAIK. I recently searched for videos of an Amiga A1000 booting up, but they didn't display a text screen like this, although they had to load Kickstart from disk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O-TJENe7a4 .

It seems that there's currently a waiting list to buy any kind of AmigaOne computer and the minimum price may be  €999.99. The hardware seems fairly similar to a Power Mac G4, but I get the impression that U-Boot is installed in ROM, and checks the exact hardware used to prevent AmigaOS 4.1 from running on a Mac. BTW, I have got a Power Mac G4, which I managed to pick up for nothing from http://www.freecycle.org , but I found out that it's not compatible with the much later Mac I use in a recording studio, because apart from being slower and having less RAM, it has a Power PC CPU instead of an Intel CPU. Although Apple Mac OS X can run Power PC software on an Intel x86 CPU, there's no system for running Intel x86 software on a Power PC. This means I can't bring it up to date and it's a perfect candidate to run an Amiga type Power PC OS.

BTW, after the meeting I found a post on another forum announcing that this was the Christmas ANT Meeting, so be prepared to buy some food. I can't reply to this post on that forum because my registration hasn't yet been validated. I think the announcement should have been on the ANT website, because then I'd have read it in time. Before I left for the meeting, I made sure I'd already had enough to eat, because I didn't know if there would be anything to eat there. Thanks for the pizza slice(s) and chicken strips. Just that amount was enough, as I'd already eaten.

I'm not 100% sure if or when I'll be attending an ANT group meeting again. I stopped using the Amiga when it became clear that it would take lots of expensive upgrades to get onto the Internet, although it was cheaper just to buy a PC, due to mass production by various companies instead of just one company.

There was a feature on the BBC programme Click some time ago, pointing out that nowadays computers are being used mainly as communications devices, instead of for computing, so that made me think about all the things I used to do on the Amiga, actually working things out, programming, and graphic art. It included Comms as it was then called and I visited various BBS systems, but this wasn't my main activity.

I also produced some art on the Amiga using Deluxe Paint and Photon Paint. I found that MS Windows graphics programs were quite different and I couldn't do much with them. I recently discovered a program called GrafX2 for Linux, which is a Deluxe Paint clone, so I hope this will enable me to do some more computer art.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 06:36:41 PM »
Quote from: AmigaBruno;718886
Having a name for something (i.e. U-Boot) doesn't make it alright, as in "OMG, that bouncer's beating the **** out of that clubber!", "Don't worry, that's called He-Boot". I fail to see why U-Boot starts with a text screen, which harks back to the days before the original Apple Mac, that came out in 1984, as well as before its ancestor the Apple Lisa in 1983. PC BIOS ROMs were designed to be compatible with the original IBM PC, which came out in 1981 without any graphics. The classic Amigas always displayed graphic boot screens AFAIK.[/url]

There's no need to qualify 68K Amigas with the term "classic", they are Amigas. The "classic" designation was created by OS4 users to try to muddy the waters and give the impression that the AmigaOne is somehow a continuation of the Amiga. The PPC hardware you saw at the meeting are AmigaOnes, a completely different computer and not related to the Commodore Amiga in any way, as you seem to have noticed.