Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SCSI disks in this day and age?  (Read 5174 times)

Description:

Offline NorthWayTopic starter

• Show only replies by NorthWay
SCSI disks in this day and age?
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
In my continuing adventures to revive and piece together my old A4000 I really need to replace those horrible drives with a single drive with 10G+ size.

Are there any good webshops that sell something a CyberStorm/SCSI will be happy about?
I have been trying to find some local shops, but if they happen to have SCSI it is so far out more expensive than SAS it is boggling. And way bigger than I need anyway (and price seems to scale linearly with size anyway).

(Some IDE<->memory card device is a worst case solution if I can't find anything else...)

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
Re: SCSI disks in this day and age?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:10:24 PM »
I don't know any stores that still sell that small SCSI drives but should not be that hard to find on ebay, PM me tomorrow and I can check my basement if I still have an old SCSI2 drive, if i have you can have it for free :)

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »
Have a look at those SCSI <--> P-ATA bridges and those for S-ATA.

Otoh, SCSI-1, SCSI-2 is not so much in use. So it's being phased out..
But you can always build something.. ;)

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:49:30 AM »
Quote from: NorthWay;703339
In my continuing adventures to revive and piece together my old A4000 I really need to replace those horrible drives with a single drive with 10G+ size.

Are there any good webshops that sell something a CyberStorm/SCSI will be happy about?
I have been trying to find some local shops, but if they happen to have SCSI it is so far out more expensive than SAS it is boggling. And way bigger than I need anyway (and price seems to scale linearly with size anyway).

(Some IDE<->memory card device is a worst case solution if I can't find anything else...)

Where are you based? I have some 2GB and 4GB SCSI drives for sale if you're interested.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:37:03 AM »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:42:58 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;703371
http://www.pricewatch.com/search?q=scsi+2+hdd&gallery=1

Merry Christmas! ;P

That's a good reference.
All I have left are Ultra160 and Ultra320s.
And I'm pretty sure they aren't backward compatible that far.
They will run with SCSI2 controllers, but even earlier controllers seem unlikely.
After all, LVD drives didn't exist when your controller was made.

Pity they can't be used as 10K rpm 75GB U320 drives can be had cheap (I got two a few months ago for $15 each).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:48:51 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;703380
That's a good reference.
All I have left are Ultra160 and Ultra320s.
And I'm pretty sure they aren't backward compatible that far.
They will run with SCSI2 controllers, but even earlier controllers seem unlikely.
After all, LVD drives didn't exist when your controller was made.

Pity they can't be used as 10K rpm 75GB U320 drives can be had cheap (I got two a few months ago for $15 each).

I do all my price shopping first, with pricewatch. Sadly, you can't really find any Amiga items on it. ;)

Most of these are probably refurbs, but you might get warranties with a few. I didn't bother to check.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 04:53:04 AM »
I've found SCSI drives in surplus Mac and Sun stuff from the Amiga era.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 05:17:35 AM »
Quote from: JimS;703389
I've found SCSI drives in surplus Mac and Sun stuff from the Amiga era.

Yup.  That's where I found my IBM 18GB 50-pin drive.  I used that on my WarpEngine.  When I upgraded to a CyberStorm I replaced it with an 18GB 68-pin and now the narrow drive is in a Sun 211 box attached to my 2000's Blizzard 2060.

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 06:50:48 AM »
I bought a new Maxtor Atlas 15k_18WLS 16GB 68 pin hard drive for $10 U.S. a couple of years ago off E-bay. It works great and is really fast. It doesn't even get hot with the AmigaOS unlike a certain other OS that thrashes the hard drive constantly. It's used with a Cyberstorm MK3 cybppc.device 44.71. I would get a Guru on bootup with SFS but PFS works great.

Offline Damion

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 07:23:38 AM »
I just got a NOS 36GB 10k Fujitsu on ebay to try with a Fastlane, but the SOB is so loud there's no way in heck I'll run it. It's supposed to be relatively "quiet" for a SCSI drive, too.

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
Of course you can use U320 drive with SCSI2 etc.. BUT the cost won't likely make it worthwhile.
But do consider that the SCSI2 SE interface is quite basic to interface with.

However with Ethernet etc.. you could put the harddrive anywhere and put the noisy harddiscs where you don't have to listen to them.

Offline desantii

• Amiga Addict!
    • Show only replies by desantii
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 02:43:26 PM »
I have moved away from hard drives. The benefits of CFs cards such as noise (or lack of..) and reliability outweigh anything else.

On my 4000T I was getting about 9mb/s on the built in SCSI controller
Amiga 1200/030 50mhz, 64mb ram

Amiga 2000, 030 25mhz, 7mb ram, A2320,  SCSI2CD

Amiga 3000/030 25mhz, CF SCSI card

Amiga 4000/ 040 33mhz 274mb ram

Offline AAACHIPSET

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
Quote from: NorthWay;703339

dunno if this  helps...i used a couple  older mac  external scsi  drives on my a500  ..cheap 8 gig  15.00 dols  ..an you can pull apart  if you wanna install internally...had to format on my pc  then the amiga ..but  work  well an good price  ..
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline motrucker

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
There are still loads of older SCSI hard drives available. Look through Mac stores and/or ebay and pricewatch. I just bought a 2Gb IBM SCSI2 hard drive for $9.00 including shipping through ebay (it works great!). Also just bought a SCSI CD ROM drive for my A2000.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+