Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Icaros 1.4.5 can run M68K software  (Read 3334 times)

Description:

Offline paoloneTopic starter

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
Icaros 1.4.5 can run M68K software
« on: July 18, 2012, 09:51:49 PM »
Version 1.4.5 of the popular AROS distribution Icaros Desktop has been released. Biggest news for this release are the initial support for M68K integration, the inclusion of Hurrican, Cinnamon Writer, Ignition and many others.

M68K integration is a little great milestone for Icaros Desktop. Even if not yet fully-functional, the new extension to AmiBridge already allow running most classic desktop applications for the Amigaâ„¢ computer without the need of its boot ROMs and original OS anymore. Classic software is handled by AROS itself, compiled for the Motorola 68000 processor, running in coherency mode under Janus-UAE with JIT. Purists will still be able to integrate Amiga Forever for better results, however this initial release already shows the strenght and potential of AROS M68K.

Cinnamon Writer is a fully Amiga-NG oriented application available for both AmigaOS 4.1 and AROS, while Hurrican is an amazing action-packed remake of the classic Turrican game from Rainbow Arts. People who loved programming games on Amiga with AMOS will be happy to find both AMOS Pro and XAMOS included into the distribution. For more informations, screenshots and download links, just visit Icaros website at

http://www.icarosdesktop.org
p.bes

Offline Matt_H

Re: Icaros 1.4.5 can run M68K software
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:26:54 AM »
Neat. Thanks for your work! I'm a bit confused about the difference between AmiBridge and J-UAE. Can you explain?

Offline mihcael

• Show only replies by mihcael
    • http://brutalamiga.mikendezign.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 06:37:08 AM »
J-UAE is the emulator, it does all the actual running of 68K programs.

Ami-Bridge is a series of scripts and configs which facilitate loading programs from AROS directly in the J-UAE emulator, providing near seemless operation in most cases once it is configured.

Offline tft666

• Show only replies by tft666
    • http://www.po-rno.fi
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:18:30 AM »
When will more hardware be supported? Doesn't work on my

Laptop: Sony Vaio VPCEA2S1E
Notebook: Acer ApireOne 533

Seems pretty random what laptop it works on. Like why only some AspireOnes, and the older ones at that.

Got this old DELL Latitude D830 at work where it works.

The Hardware Compatibility in the manual makes no sense to me.

The Vaio has Intel Core i3-350M and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145
The manual says it supports i3 and ATI Radeon  (however not specific the 5000 series.)

The AspireOne 533 has Intel Atom Dual-Core N455 and  Intel GMA 3150 Graphics
The manual says is supports Atom and derivates and GMA3100
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:38:46 AM by tft666 »
A1200TOWER . Apollo1260-66Mhz 32Mb
====================================
www.po-rno.fi -  wcgraff.blogspot.com - blog.darklite.org

Offline ncafferkey

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
Quote from: tft666;700638

When will more hardware be supported? Doesn't work on my

Laptop: Sony Vaio VPCEA2S1E
Notebook: Acer ApireOne 533

When you say "doesn't work", do you mean they don't boot? If they partly work, you need to be more specific.

Seems pretty random what laptop it works on. Like why only some AspireOnes, and the older ones at that.

Yes, it is. Manufacturers like to make their laptops with random hardware, and there aren't enough AROS developers to create drivers for all components.

The Hardware Compatibility in the manual makes no sense to me.

The Vaio has Intel Core i3-350M and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145
The manual says it supports i3 and ATI Radeon  (however not specific the 5000 series.)

The AspireOne 533 has Intel Atom Dual-Core N455 and  Intel GMA 3150 Graphics
The manual says is supports Atom and derivates and GMA3100

It would be rare if the CPU itself and VESA mode graphics aren't supported. And if GMA3150 isn't working in native mode, it would probably be an easy fix if you were willing to do some tests.

Offline tft666

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »
I boot from the CD.
After selecting any of the gfx modes under bootup I get the Cat with the message "No bootable media"

As it was the same thing on the Acer and Sony, but not the Dell, I assumed it was some display issue.

I'm glad to do some tests :)

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »
Quote from: tft666;700652
I boot from the CD.
After selecting any of the gfx modes under bootup I get the Cat with the message "No bootable media"

Yup. This means that for some reason AROS stops using your DVD to boot up. This may be due to:

1) the DVD drive is attached to a SATA controller which isn't recognized by the AROS kernel, hence it stops booting

2) the DVD drive is attached to a USB controller which isn't well supported by Poseidon

3) there is a memory card fitted in a drive somehow preventing the system to continue booting

May you be more specific about your  most probable configuration? Is the DVD drive internal or external? Is your SATA controller configured to be used like a AHCI/RAID one, or as IDE? The latter configuration is more friendly to AROS but beware of changing it: if you have Windows already installed on another partition of the drive, it may stop booting until you set it to AHCI again.
p.bes

Offline trekiej

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
Thanks.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:24 PM »
Pretty cool Paolone, you have been a busy man! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline tft666

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 10:52:02 PM »
Quote from: paolone;700661
1) the DVD drive is attached to a SATA controller which isn't recognized by the AROS kernel, hence it stops booting

AspireOne does not have a DVD drive, so using an internal SATA drive from a stationary PC, which I connect via SATA to USB connection.

VAIO has internal DVD, can not figure out how to change it to IDE. Little optiones to change anything in the Bios. Only the Boot sequence and some functions that don't lead to anything looking like SATA/IDE settings.
2) the DVD drive is attached to a USB controller which isn't well supported by Poseidon
Only the AspireOne goes thru USB. Don't know anything about if the controller is not well supported.
3) there is a memory card fitted in a drive somehow preventing the system to continue booting
Not that I know of. You mean like a CF card via IDE thing often used on Classic Amiga?
May you be more specific about your  most probable configuration? Is the DVD drive internal or external? Is your SATA controller configured to be used like a AHCI/RAID one, or as IDE? The latter configuration is more friendly to AROS but beware of changing it: if you have Windows already installed on another partition of the drive, it may stop booting until you set it to AHCI again.

See answers above. Is there a easy way to make a USB boot disk? Like one can with windows install CD?
Or do you know how to change the DVD drive to IDE on a Sony VAIO?

Shall we continue this "Icaros for Dummies" here, or at another suitable forum, like at support.icarosdesktop.org?  :)

Offline ncafferkey

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:29:49 AM »
Quote from: tft666;700721
Is there a easy way to make a USB boot disk? Like one can with windows install CD?

Yes, it's easy to do on a PC that does boot AROS, such as your work laptop. Run the installer and select USB installation. You could also do this in a VM such as VirtualBox, but it's sometimes tricky (make sure only USB1.1 is enabled in VBox prefs).

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:41:18 PM »
Quote from: tft666;700721
AspireOne does not have a DVD drive, so using an internal SATA drive from a stationary PC, which I connect via SATA to USB connection.

Shall we continue this "Icaros for Dummies" here, or at another suitable forum, like at support.icarosdesktop.org?  :)

1) change USB port. My AspireOne A150 behave quite differently if I use one of the two right side ports, and the one on the left side. I generally install from one of the right side ports.

2) no problem at all, the more we talk about Icaros everywhere, the better (and I will rule da world mbhhuauhauhuahuhauhauhauha! ...er... ehmmm)
p.bes

Offline tft666

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 01:05:01 AM »
Quote from: paolone;700788
1) change USB port. My AspireOne A150 behave quite differently if I use one of the two right side ports, and the one on the left side. I generally install from one of the right side ports.

That actually worked when trying the "External-Internal" DVD Drive from my stationary on the Sony Vaio. So that works now :=
Could not however get the AspONE 533 to work on any of the USB ports.
But I will continue trying. If I manage to install it on a USB pen,I can try that on the AspONE. Am I correct with that assumtion?
You don't need the DVD ISO to install on other computers with different hardware, as soon as you install it once on a USD Pen drive, you can try that USB on any computer?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:08:43 AM by tft666 »

Offline ncafferkey

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
Quote from: tft666;700850

You don't need the DVD ISO to install on other computers with different hardware, as soon as you install it once on a USD Pen drive, you can try that USB on any computer?

Yes, AROS is self-replicating :-)