amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion My 500+ Project

Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion This forum is dedicated to the discussion and resolution of issues related to Classic and Next Generation Amiga hardware. Got a problem with a piece of hardware? Click to speak.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #361
djos
Cult Member
Points: 5,438, Level: 47 Points: 5,438, Level: 47 Points: 5,438, Level: 47
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Default Re: My 500+ Project

Geez, been a long time between updates! I had a run of sh!tty luck, got retrenched from HP in July last year and found that the Adelaide Job market had tanked, largely IMO due to a certain very dishonest Polly running around crying debt and deficit and budget emergency for 3 years.

Anyway after being out of work for 7 months and getting only 2 interviews I gave up on Adelaide and moved my little family to Melbourne where I found a job in 5 weeks - just in time too as we'd pretty much run out of money and credit!

Anyway we are all settled now and finding our feet! I even have a dedicated desk for my Commodore gear now!

My little girl loves DP IV AGA on my a1200:

My latest project involves 10x 512kb EEPROM's that managed to get hold of ... Stay tuned!

PS, Im also planning on making a chip-ram config switch for my HxC equipped a500 so I can switch from stock 512kb slow/512kb chip + 4mb fast to 1mb Chip + 4mb Fast ... just for fun. :-)

Last edited by djos; 05-23-2014 at 04:58 PM..
djos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #362
Epsilon_
VIP / Donor - Lifetime Membership
Points: 1,864, Level: 25 Points: 1,864, Level: 25 Points: 1,864, Level: 25
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Hi djos,

I understand the IT situation well in Adelaide - it is really terrible. I was unemployed in 2012 for 8 months and found the same thing you did - I am sure it hasn't got any better since I was lucky enough through contacts to find another senior IT role job here.

I completely understand why you moved to Melbourne - if I lose my job here I may have to consider the same thing. I was in Melbourne with my wife over Easter and it just feels so much better there than last time I was there 10 years ago - vibrant and a city going places, without all the negativity everyone here (especially pollys and media) in Adelaide seems intent on pushing out to everyone everyday...quite gloomy.

I have lived here 20 years and never seen the job market for IT workers in Adelaide as bad as it is right now.

Best of luck in Melbourne, and glad your Amigas are back up and running again. I am toying with the idea of installing my hxc in the Amiga 600 but have no idea where and how to dremel cleanly, and having one case means one shot. You can follow my Amiga 600 project on http://classicamiga.blogspot.com.au if you are interested!

I finally picked up a CDTV to play with too! I found a CDTV scsi card for it, and thinking about putting in a hard disk to it to run my original A2000 hard disk wb1.3 :-)

I was going to ask you to help me with the hxc install actually since I knew you were in Adelaide, but I guess that is no longer an option!

Catcha,
Epsilon
Epsilon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #363
djos
Cult Member
Points: 5,438, Level: 47 Points: 5,438, Level: 47 Points: 5,438, Level: 47
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Hi Epsilon, it's pretty dire and really doesnt help when HP fire close to 200 staff!!!

I just couldnt fathom how someone with my experience couldnt find a job even doing sh!tty desktop support for half my normal wage! And yet in Melbourne I got a contract for $600 a day doing simple Incident Management!

I actually really enjoy living here in Melbourne too, so much on and so many more opportunities, Adelaide is pretty dead by comparison. The worst part for us is having to sell our brilliant Adelaide home knowing full well that we wont be able to afford anything like it anytime soon here.

Re your a600, you should be able to install the LCD in line with the cooling slots prolly to the left of the FDD. I promised I'd build a set of HxC extension cables for another Adelaide Amigan but im really not sure how i'll find the time atm, having a 3 year old and 1 year old doesnt leave us with much time to ourselves.
djos is offline   Reply With Quote