Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SCSI CF Card Reader  (Read 3034 times)

Description:

Offline k4lmpTopic starter

• Show only replies by k4lmp
    • http://www.k4lmp.org
SCSI CF Card Reader
« on: June 07, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »
I have one of the Mechware SCSI CF card readers that I use for my primary HD.  I don't use the PCMCIA adapter, but instead, plug the CF card straight into the CF slot.  What I'm wondering, is if I can use the PCMCIA adapter, with a CF card inserted in the adapter, as another drive.  Say, boot up without it installed as usual, then, if it is hot-swappable, insert it into the PCMCIA slot, and use it as just a drive to move files back and forth from my PC.  If not hot-swappable, if I insert it at bootup, I am hoping the A2000 will see it as a not-bootable device, and go ahead and boot from the normal CF slot as usual.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline mechy

Re: SCSI CF Card Reader
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:16:32 PM »
Yes, the scsi card readers are hotswappable on all slots,  i recommend  leaving the boot drive in the cf slot,and then use the pcmcia adapter as the swappable slot.

If you don't want the machine to boot off it,either set the partitions as non bootable or set the boot priority different than the boot drive in Hdtoolbox.

You can do many things with them. You can have 5 separate boot drives,use other slots for backups,put macos/pctask on seperate cards so no chance of corrupting sys partitions.boot multiple os's off seperate cards which is available in the early boot menu etc. by staggering the boot priority in the partitions,you can select them in early boot menu and still have the main card boot the os.

I just received some PCD=47B card readers in that are 4 slot and do not use luns. they take up 3 scsi id numbers and although slower than the pcd-50b,are very useful for some picky music samplers as well as older amiga scsi controllers that cannot use SCSI LUNS properly. It gives a good way to go solid state.
The PCD-47B will allow booting off a card in the cf/SM slots directly without the pcmcia adapter on machines that cannot use luns.

Mech
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:19:38 PM by mechy »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
You know, it just friggen blows my mind when people come up with gadgets like this. Stuff that nobody would have thought possible in 1990 :)

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »
OK, so I finally got around to testing this.  Here are the scenarios.  With the OS CF plugged into the CF slot, and a non-bootable CF plugged into pcmcia slot with adapter, tries to boot from non-bootable, and stops and I get the insert bootable disk screen.  With OS CF in pcmcia, and non-bootable CF in CF slot.  Boots immediately from pcmcia OS CF, and never sees the non-bootable.  Booting with OS CF in CF slot, and non-bootable not plugged in, then plugging non-bootable into pcmcia slot with adapter after bootup:  I go into "mounter" and mount the non-bootable, it mounts successfully, and mounter shows it up as DH3, which is correct.  Never shows up on desktop, and if I go into shell and try to change to DH3:, it says insert disk into volume DH3:.  The non-bootable is formatted, and contains files.  Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline psxphill

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
Quote from: k4lmp;696464
The non-bootable is formatted, and contains files. Any suggestions.

What file system? If it's FAT then it won't be DH3

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
Amiga formatted with SFS

Offline Castellen

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »
Does your SCSI card reader use one bus ID and then every card in the reader then have its own LUN?  Never used one of these card readers before, but they sound good.

Just a silly theory, but is it something such as the Amiga only wanting to boot from the first LUN?  What cards can you see from the early startup menu?

Because you're cold booting from OS3.1 ROM then it'll be using the older scsi.device or whatever the A2091 uses.  Does it make any difference once the machine is running from the OS3.9 ROM?  i.e. enter early startup menu with 3.9 and see if any of the other card LUNs are available.

Offline jsixis

• Show only replies by jsixis
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 12:48:01 AM »
seems to me (been a long time since I have played with a new scsi device) you need to use scsi prefs and set up the device as non bootable

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
It uses LUNS.  I got it to recognize the CF card, by booting, inserting the CF card/pcmcia adapter in the reader, and mounting twice with "mounter".  Don't know why I had to mount it twice, the first time, it showed up as DH3, which is correct, I then highlighted it again, and hit the mount button, and it showed up.

Jeff

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
Have been trying to get mine to work with just the cf card, but wont boot. Only had luck so far with the adapter.
Have to tried the post on eab about setting switch 4 to on but still no luck.
Will have another go once my sick 500 is back on it's feet :-( Waiting for parts is painful just happy I could find parts :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
Well, if you use the CF slot instead of the adapter, it takes it about 30 seconds to a minute to boot up.  It has to scan all SCSI devices, including LUNs.  I use a 2091 with rev. 7.0 roms, and an upgraded controller chip from Mechware, and mine works fine this way.  If  it is going to work, it could take up to a minute or so.  My HD activity light flashes, as it checks each device/LUN.  Try giving it a bit more time before giving up on it and turning the computer off.  Also, make sure that you have LUNs enabled on your controller or it will not work in the cf slot.  With LUNs disabled, it will only work in the PCMCIA slot with the adapter.  Hope this helps.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:33:40 PM by k4lmp »

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »
I predicted the time it takes to scan LUNs would slow down booting but I didn't expect 30 sec. or more! It looks like the PCD-47B is the best all around choice for now.

Offline desantii

• Amiga Addict!
    • Show only replies by desantii
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »
I have two of these, one in my 3000T and one in my A2000. Haven't used the A3000 in a while but in the A2000 it is definitely not 30sec to start booting with just the CF card, I would say more like 10 sec, if that

It is connected to a GVP 030
Amiga 1200/030 50mhz, 64mb ram

Amiga 2000, 030 25mhz, 7mb ram, A2320,  SCSI2CD

Amiga 3000/030 25mhz, CF SCSI card

Amiga 4000/ 040 33mhz 274mb ram

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
Quote from: desantii;696990
I have two of these, one in my 3000T and one in my A2000. Haven't used the A3000 in a while but in the A2000 it is definitely not 30sec to start booting with just the CF card, I would say more like 10 sec, if that

It is connected to a GVP 030

Well, I don't have the GVP, (I wish I did) :)  I have the A2091.  If I use the CF card alone, in the PCMCIA adapter, prolly 10 seconds or so to boot.  BUT, if you use the CF card in the CF card slot, on my reader, with LUNs enabled, it takes about 30 seconds.  I don't know anything about the GVP, other than it is a better card than my A2091. :)