Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: S-Video to Y/C cables - they do exist  (Read 1689 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

S-Video to Y/C cables - they do exist
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:22:57 AM »
Can't remember which thread it was in, but there was a discussion a few weeks ago about breaking an S-Video cable into its component signals or vice versa. I think someone was getting ready to wire up his own cable, but lo and behold, I came across this on retail shelves today. You could use this to plug an S-Video device into a 1084S, or, with some gender changers, to plug a C64 into a slightly more modern display.

Offline Ami_GFX

• Show only replies by Ami_GFX
Re: S-Video to Y/C cables - they do exist
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:12:12 AM »
S-Video and Y/C are one and the same. Y/C is the older term.

The luma(light)and chroma(color) signals are on separete wires in s-video/YC while in composite video they are merged. The 1084 has seperate luma and chroma inputs and on rca jacks and you need this cable to adapt the standard 4 pin mini din plug to it's input. Signal wise, they are identical, it is just a cabling difference.
A2500 owned since 1993 with A2630/DKB 2632, DKB Megachip, GVP EGS Spectrum, A2320 and GVP HC+8 on the inside and a DCTV on the outside. A4000D with CSPPC, Cybervision 64 and a Flicker Magic flicker fixer. A4000T Toaster Flyer & CSMKII. All systems completly retro and classic and mostly used to do geometic art as in my avatar.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
Matt
In that thread you refer to I posted that these cables exsist. In fact I have one!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline k4lmp

• Show only replies by k4lmp
    • http://www.k4lmp.org
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
I actually made a cable that goes from the DIN on my C64 and C128 to an S-Video connector.  It uses the chroma and luma from the Commodore, and connects to the S-video on an LCD TV.  Works great!  Here is a link to what I used for the C64, it has the pinouts for the S-video cable.  If you know what the pinouts are on the Amiga, just match them up.

http://radagast.bglug.ca/C64_svideo/C64_Svideo.html

Jeff

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »
Just saw this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-S-video-male-to-3-RCA-Female-video-adapter-cable-/280729878173?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item415ccdfe9d

It's s-video to RCA..
Not sure if the right wires are wired to the right spots, but for $2, figured I'd give it a shot.
Worst case, more fun stuff for my junk drawer..  ;-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
@ magnetic

Guess I wasn't following that thread closely enough :)

Still, I suppose the more places this info is posted, the better. It definitely seems like there was a long period in popular electronics culture where Y/C was completely forgotten. I wonder what popular devices are out there these days that warrant mass production of these cables?

Offline tone007

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »
I found a brand new IEC cable (C64 to 1541 floppy drive, etc) at Micro Center a few months ago, a bit dusty but still in package.  Didn't need one, but I bought it anyway.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:21 AM »
desiv

thats a very cheap price and should work ok.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Ami_GFX

• Show only replies by Ami_GFX
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 03:52:20 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;695659
@ magnetic

Guess I wasn't following that thread closely enough :)

Still, I suppose the more places this info is posted, the better. It definitely seems like there was a long period in popular electronics culture where Y/C was completely forgotten. I wonder what popular devices are out there these days that warrant mass production of these cables?

Until HD video became the standard, s-video was the best analog video standard short of 15khz RGB. At the pro video level it tended to be called Y/C while consumer equipment labled it s-video or s-vhs.  A few years ago, all my video gear was s-video. These days it's hdmi/dvi and I use the analog s-video outs to feed my Toaster through a Kitchen Sync.
A2500 owned since 1993 with A2630/DKB 2632, DKB Megachip, GVP EGS Spectrum, A2320 and GVP HC+8 on the inside and a DCTV on the outside. A4000D with CSPPC, Cybervision 64 and a Flicker Magic flicker fixer. A4000T Toaster Flyer & CSMKII. All systems completly retro and classic and mostly used to do geometic art as in my avatar.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 03:59:41 AM »
Quote from: Ami_GFX;695679
Until HD video became the standard, s-video was the best analog video standard short of 15khz RGB. At the pro video level it tended to be called Y/C while consumer equipment labled it s-video or s-vhs.  A few years ago, all my video gear was s-video. These days it's hdmi/dvi and I use the analog s-video outs to feed my Toaster through a Kitchen Sync.

Oh, I know, I just thought everything post-1996 used S-Video mini-DIN rather than Y/C RCA plugs. I'm surprised to see a converter cable in an actual brick and mortar store these days.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 03:25:24 AM »
Quote from: desiv;695623
Just saw this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-S-video-male-to-3-RCA-Female-video-adapter-cable-/280729878173?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item415ccdfe9d
Yes, I'm talking to myself.
Got the cable and it doesn't work as is.
I'm sure I'll be able to rewire it, but it will take some recabling.
The luma is on the ground side of one of the RCA plugs.  
Didn't find Chroma initially, but I'm thinking it might be the center of the same plug.  Not sure tho..

I know, I should have multimetered it, but it was easier to just give it a quick try. ;-)

I already have a cable I made for that purpose.  Using it for my Amigamaniac s-video adapter to the 1701.  Looks pretty good.

But I want another cable for my 3DO, so I can use the lightgun.  
(The 3DO is on the LCD tv in the living room now, so no lightgun, but it has s-video.)

desiv
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:53:43 AM by desiv »
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 04:26:39 AM »
I have one that was made for some type of audio equipment.  It has a DIN plug on one end, and two female RCA plugs on the other.  The colours don't match up (white goes to red video, red goes to yellow video) but it works great.  I may have over-payed a bit at $5, but it's still cheaper than building it myself.