Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Babylon 5: Previously unreleased concept art and interviews with 16 FX artists  (Read 3461 times)

Description:

Offline TripleFTopic starter

• Show only replies by TripleF
Hi,

Given the obvious connection with the Amiga getting the whole thing started (and it’s mentioned in a couple of the interviews with the co-founders of Foundation Imaging) I’m surprised I never posted about this on here when it was first put together. I checked with the site mods before posting who suggested this forum.

So, as there’s no easy way to introduce this subtly.

After contacting Ron Thornton, to find out who designed one of the ships on Babylon 5, one thing led to another, and a quick exercise in learning how to code up a web page turned into a unique reference site. (5 years, 15 FX artists and one producer later). Among those contacted included Steve Burg, Everett Burrell, Eric Chauvin and Kevin Kutchaver.

The site isn’t going to stay up forever, It was just a hobby, a one off, so I made it downloadable for anyone to keep – no strings, popups, adverts or anything else attached. Just a lot of frank, revealing, wide ranging and occasionally funny interviews from a bunch of artists with enough Emmys between them to field a couple of football teams (that answer a lot of questions and bust a few myths) and a fair bit of previously unreleased concept art, like this.

It’s not so much about the show, but the artists, the art and the technology. Steve Burg (who recently designed the Prometheus for the Ridley Scott movie) described what we talked about as the most in-depth examination of his methodology and approach to design ever carried out. Which, considering Steve’s career, came as a bit of a surprise.

This is a link to a facebook page highlighting the site.

http://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls

If you read the top post you’ll see why I joined FB and set it up that FB page, and why I’m pointing there. It’s far from ideal (a lot of folks aren’t on facebook), but it was the best idea I could think of to let as many know as possible, before the site disappears.

If anyone’s curious, and ain’t on facebook, here’s a link to the website itself.

http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm

Though if you can ‘like’ that Facebook thing, that would be helpful in letting others find the info a month from now.

Cheers
Tom

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
How coincidental; I was just reading a post over at the onion av club where they've started a subforum just for watching B5 beginning to end, with recommendations by one of the "TV Club" reviewers.

(He recommends skipping lots of episodes in the 1st season, and rightly so...)

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-gathering,75659/
Back away from the EU-SSR!

There’s a not so long story attached to why season 1 was a bit different from the others. ; )

Unfortunately, I’m sorry to say, that came under the heading of off the record.  Can I recommend you take a shifty over this.  It’s the first of a two part review that you might find of interest, and explains one part of that story.

http://www.republibot.com/content/hidden-evolution-babylon-5

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
Their Amiga's had 2meg!!

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Quote from: TripleF;695184
There’s a not so long story attached to why season 1 was a bit different from the others. ; )

Unfortunately, I’m sorry to say, that came under the heading of off the record.  Can I recommend you take a shifty over this.  It’s the first of a two part review that you might find of interest, and explains one part of that story.

Thanks for this.

I recommend B5 to a lot of colleagues who are into sci-fi but missed out on its original airing as I did.  Personally, I have a habit of picking things up late and really liking them: "Babylon 5," "Stargate SG-1," "Battlestar Galactica," which I started watching in the fourth, eighth, and second seasons, respectively.  I never got to see earlier seasons of B5 until just recently when Hulu and then The WB had them online.  I really wish I had gotten to see the series in its entirety back in the 90s.  (I've recently been secretly watching for a chance to buy the DVD collection on the cheap.)

But, yeah, the first season was just harsh.  Differences between 90's and today's visual effects qualities notwithstanding, I imagine it would have not survived the first season these days.

But I'm glad it did.  And reading this article on the first season births in me deeper thoughts on the series as a whole.  I find it to be a treasure as it touches and excites me deeply.  Though I am slightly disappointed with the accelerated ending to the series and the giant leap forward in time.  And I have to say that I was rooting for Lando and hoped he would find a way to break free to save his people rather than sacrifice himself as the galactic face of evil.

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
Nice! B5 rules.. I've just been watching the whole series all over again last year. It's still better than most of the crap on tv nowadays.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Quote from: TripleF;695184

Thank god they did what they did, although at least that take on it would have spared us the dreadful 5th season, made all the worse by the introduction of the "Byron" character.  Ugh, ugh ugh.  Just...bad.  Blech.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Yeah, the plans for the show that were kicking around during season one were pretty dire.  But it at least explains a few things.  I just wanted to kick ‘Byron’, repeatedly.  As well as Steve Burg, another B5 connection with Ridley Scott’s Prometheus is the guy who played Byron, played the voice of the ship’s computer.

Just a FYI type thing.  Those hosting the site renewed their agreement last year, so it should stay up for the next two.  Plus I just added an update, new interview as well as new production concept art.  

[FONT="]The links at the start of this thread still work. ; )[/FONT]

Offline ferrellsl

I wish they'd release the series on BluRay.....some of the DVD5 versions are of extremely poor quality.

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
Quote from: LoadWB;695191
Thanks for this.

.  (I've recently been secretly watching for a chance to buy the DVD collection on the cheap.)

Keep an eye on Best Buy. I managed to get the entire series at $20/season over a period of time by waiting for sales. Haven't seen it there recently, but it may still be around.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline LoadWB

Quote from: JimS;731592
Keep an eye on Best Buy. I managed to get the entire series at $20/season over a period of time by waiting for sales. Haven't seen it there recently, but it may still be around.

Roger that.  Thanks.  I'm keeping an eye out for B5 and ST:TNG everywhere.  Sam's Club had all but one seasons of B5 for $15 each and three movies together for the same, but I missed out due to end-of-year money blues.

Offline Justicar

• Show only replies by Justicar
I would like to have seen the Vorlon/Shadow War take all of Season 4, the Earth Civil War take all of Season 5, scrap just about everything done with the produced/aired version of Season 5, and had Season 6 deal with Londo's salvation.

Offline LoadWB

Quote from: Justicar;731610
I would like to have seen the Vorlon/Shadow War take all of Season 4, the Earth Civil War take all of Season 5, scrap just about everything done with the produced/aired version of Season 5, and had Season 6 deal with Londo's salvation.

I can dig this.  The story line ended rather abruptly for my liking.

Offline LoadWB