Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: EA Blames its Success on its Amiga Failures!  (Read 3920 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
EA Blames its Success on its Amiga Failures!
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:41:58 AM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116516-EA-Owes-Its-Success-To-Its-Failures

"There are two real cases in EA where I think we made bad choices, and ended up being brilliant choices," he told Gamasutra.

The first case was the Amiga. EA's Amiga games were almost universally terrible. Only Deluxe Paint managed to make any money, and that's stretching the definition of "game" a little bit.

"And so the Amiga, for us, taught us a whole bunch of new things," said Hilleman. "We had to get good at music, we had to get much better at art, we had to get better animation that wasn't all sprite animation, we had to do 3D for the first time - a whole bunch of things that we had to do."

"But how it paid it off is almost all of that stuff went straight to the [Sega] Genesis. And so really what happened for us is the Amiga was sort of a pre-run of what the Genesis business was for us."

Direct Link to Gamasutra Interview Below.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167201/Two_of_EAs_best_decisions_were_its_worst_in_disguise_.php
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline number6

Re: EA Blames its Success on its Amiga Failures!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »
Quote from: Transition;685760
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116516-EA-Owes-Its-Success-To-Its-Failures

"There are two real cases in EA where I think we made bad choices, and ended up being brilliant choices," he told Gamasutra.

The first case was the Amiga. EA's Amiga games were almost universally terrible. Only Deluxe Paint managed to make any money, and that's stretching the definition of "game" a little bit.

"And so the Amiga, for us, taught us a whole bunch of new things," said Hilleman. "We had to get good at music, we had to get much better at art, we had to get better animation that wasn't all sprite animation, we had to do 3D for the first time - a whole bunch of things that we had to do."

"But how it paid it off is almost all of that stuff went straight to the [Sega] Genesis. And so really what happened for us is the Amiga was sort of a pre-run of what the Genesis business was for us."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167201/Two_of_EAs_best_decisions_were_its_worst_in_disguise_.php

"Owes its Success" not
"Blames its Success"

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 02:52:34 AM »
Interesting.. Thanks for the link
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:52:55 AM »
Quote from: number6;685763
"Owes its Success" not
"Blames its Success"

;)

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:37:49 AM »
Quote from: Transition;685760

So they admit they screwed us? I bought all my C64 games, but pirated most of my Amiga games because of this exact attitude!

(they're one of many)

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:26:40 AM »
Wait, what? One on One, Skate or Die!, Mail Order Monsters, Bards Tale, Populous.... Mostly C64, but I played the heck out of Populous. I think what EA is really saying is that they didn't make real money until they sold their souls to the NFL and John Madden Football was released for the Genesis.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:30:06 AM »
Interceptor ftw!

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »
Why do they feel the need to tell us who loved their games that it was all crap, a lie? I LOVED Populous! One of my favorite games ever! I can hardly believe that they didn't make any money out of it. Maybe not as much than they got from the Genesis, but that must be because most people didn't yet have home computers.

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »
Seriously.

bp
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline Crisisdog

• Show only replies by Crisisdog
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
Interesting that they thought their games were "bad", as many of their Amiga launch titles (Archon, Arctic Fox, Instant Music, Marble Madness) seemed pretty good to me.  At least for a new platform that they were just learning how to program...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Nah, this is just a bit of revisionist history... Sneaking in a bit of truth, but ultimately trying to make the rather boring tale of a software company sound interesting, the just struggle against all the odds etc... :)

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »
They sang a different tune in 1985, in the premier issue of Amiga World. ;-)
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »
Seems a lot of people misunderstood this article.
By "bad" theyre talking about sales, not the quality of software.
Both the Amiga, and 3do while not money makers for them did end up as good lessons in producing software for new eras/standards in technology.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;685829
Seems a lot of people misunderstood this article.
By "bad" theyre talking about sales, not the quality of software.
Both the Amiga, and 3do while not money makers for them did end up as good lessons in producing software for new eras/standards in technology.
It's hard to take the quote any other way, but you are right there maybe a large context where terrible is referring to sales rather than the software (which is currently implied by the quote).

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »
Why not read article before making your wrong conclusions?

"When we built Amiga titles for the first time, we were coming out of the 8-bit world; we were building some IBM PC stuff, but for the most part it wasn't high quality, relatively high resolution high color stuff. And so the Amiga, for us, taught us a whole bunch of new things. We had to get good at music, we had to get much better at art, we had to get better animation that wasn't all sprite animation, we had to do 3D for the first time -- a whole bunch of things that we had to do."

Unfortunately, says Hilleman, "None of that paid off except Deluxe Paint, really, in the Amiga world."
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook