amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga News and Community Announcements Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini

Notices

Amiga News and Community Announcements If you have a news item, or want to announce something to the entire online Amiga Community, this is the forum in which to place your announcement.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #76
commodorejohn
VIP / Donor
Points: 10,617, Level: 68 Points: 10,617, Level: 68 Points: 10,617, Level: 68
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%

Default Re: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by persia View Post
When I look at Berry of C=USA I am reminded more of Ron Popiel than Steve Jobs.
What a terrible thing to say about Ron Popeil...

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #77
warpdesign
Technoid
Points: 4,788, Level: 44 Points: 4,788, Level: 44 Points: 4,788, Level: 44
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Quote:
But being truly different (even if only some geeky AOS way) should have some meaning to some people.
We didn't like the Amiga because it was "different". Actually it wasn't much different by then: most every personal computers were using the very same 68000 (Atari ST, Mac, most consoles,...). Other computers had custom chips as well, doing kinda the same things: blits, scrolls, sprites.

We liked the Amiga because it was more powerful than anything else: more colors, faster graphics, better sound,...

And add to that the quite advanced OS by then.

Now, producing a kinda different PPC motherboard that adds nothing at all more powerful than other computers has very little sense to me. And having some kind of underpowered Xena chip (which usage has yet to be demonstrated outside embed stuff) or a slightly modified PCIe Xorro port doesn't make it more Amiga than any standard x86/powerPC machine.

Seeing how fast the market moves and the money that's spent by the big companies like Nvidia, Intel,... I don't think it's possible to have anything more powerful than what they are doing, so what's the point of wasting resources doing it ?

The only interesting difference that can be made is in software. Or with (truely) Amiga-like hardware like the Natami: that can bring fun, and people...
warpdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #78
Tripitaka
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,603, Level: 65 Points: 9,603, Level: 65 Points: 9,603, Level: 65
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdesign View Post
Well, with their "Amiga" computers they already have created a community that's maybe 10-50 times the size of the war field you're calling "Amiga community".
Back it up big mouth! You say something like that I need to see proof. So do it, show me that CUSA have actually got a "community" that is at least 10 times the size of existing AmigaOS, AROS, and MOS user base. I'm getting real sick of people using made up figures to back up wild opinion that they put forward as fact. If your going to say something like that then let's see the numbers.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #79
AmiDelf
Cult Member
Points: 12,687, Level: 73 Points: 12,687, Level: 73 Points: 12,687, Level: 73

I would comment that the person who wrote this, is a wise person. CUSA is making shame of Amiga. Its sad, how they just dont care about the community. CUSA could help AEON with production of AmigaOne X1000 instead, or making an PPC Amiga into the Amiga Mini box they have made. MacMini runs MorphOS nicely etc. To be able to run AmigaOS4 is great and refreshing.

"Amiga Will never Die! Never!"
Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #80
Middleman
Lifetime Member
Points: 2,186, Level: 28 Points: 2,186, Level: 28 Points: 2,186, Level: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiDelf View Post
I would comment that the person who wrote this, is a wise person. CUSA is making shame of Amiga. Its sad, how they just dont care about the community. CUSA could help AEON with production of AmigaOne X1000 instead, or making an PPC Amiga into the Amiga Mini box they have made. MacMini runs MorphOS nicely etc. To be able to run AmigaOS4 is great and refreshing.

Well I wouldn't put it that way....there is still light at the end of the tunnel...

It's not like Leo hasn't tried before.....he has. I remember speaking to him last year about how things were getting on, and he said he had been in touch with the relevant Amiga parties including Jerri Elsworth and Aeon to work on things. With Aeon there were certain issues that they came across which prevented them from going ahead using their boards, and that was to do with the yields that were coming out of the X1000 board manufacturing. Unfortunately for the numbers CUSA was requesting, they weren't consistent enough in terms of quality for 'modern day' public consumption level (where factories in Asia fare better in terms of yield), so CUSA was hesitant to go ahead with it. Small numbers Aeon was fine with, but larger numbers they encountered problems. It may be better now I don't know, but that's what I had heard...
Middleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #81
redfox
Cult Member
Points: 10,166, Level: 67 Points: 10,166, Level: 67 Points: 10,166, Level: 67

Regarding original post ... Well said.
redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #82
Middleman
Lifetime Member
Points: 2,186, Level: 28 Points: 2,186, Level: 28 Points: 2,186, Level: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post
Regarding original post ... Well said.
Yes I agree she has a point...the original Amiga was a tough act to follow....and still is. Even Commodore themselves had a problem getting it replaced....think about that!
Middleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #83
swoslover
Technoid
Points: 6,742, Level: 53 Points: 6,742, Level: 53 Points: 6,742, Level: 53

Send a message via MSN to swoslover

Why the anonimity?

Is an internet forum not anonomous enough?

If a guy had written this there would have been far less interest.

For all that the CUSA machines can never satisfactory be called an Amiga until they come with an Amiga OS they have provided something concrete in the past and if they can somehow unite with say hyperion it could be quite exciting.
swoslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #84
Iggy
Desperately needs a life
Points: 15,578, Level: 80 Points: 15,578, Level: 80 Points: 15,578, Level: 80
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiDelf View Post

Well there is a definite split between those of us who are using PPC based NG OS' and the X86 camp.
Obviously, AROS would run on the new "Amiga Mini". And many of you have pushed for X86 ports of OS4 and MorphOS (and have been told that the former isn't happening and the latter isn't happening soon).
I don't think CUSA's market would be very large with a PPC based system.
Barry's just trying to make money.
I don't think that our community factors into his equations significantly.

Purchased a 2.0 GHz G5 PowerMac for now (and I have 2.3 PCI-E G5 PowerMac for future revisions of MorphOS).

Also I still have a 1.42 GHz iBook (with MorphOS 3.4).

Finally I still have an old A2000 for the days I'm into pain.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

"I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

"Guess I'll have to change my way of livin..."

Kenny Downing is my God.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #85
dammy
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 21,013, Level: 91 Points: 21,013, Level: 91 Points: 21,013, Level: 91

Default Re: Takers - Cecilia's? Opinion of the Amiga Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoslover View Post
Why the anonimity?

It's not like it's hard to guess who it is and she hasn't been friendly to C=USA for a long period of time, if ever. If she had posted it under her name, then it would have been a normal anti C=USA poster rant. By going as anonymous, the (Amiga.org management) give her a possible air of credibility that she wouldn't get under her normal Amiga Community nick.

www.arixfoundation.com
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.
dammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #86
Iggy
Desperately needs a life
Points: 15,578, Level: 80 Points: 15,578, Level: 80 Points: 15,578, Level: 80
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

@ Dammy

We already know your opinion.
In the past, I've been willing to give Barry the benefit of the doubt.
But Mint Linux is not an Amiga operating system.

Purchased a 2.0 GHz G5 PowerMac for now (and I have 2.3 PCI-E G5 PowerMac for future revisions of MorphOS).

Also I still have a 1.42 GHz iBook (with MorphOS 3.4).

Finally I still have an old A2000 for the days I'm into pain.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

"I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

"Guess I'll have to change my way of livin..."

Kenny Downing is my God.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #87
commodorejohn
VIP / Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman View Post
It's not like Leo hasn't tried before.....he has. I remember speaking to him last year about how things were getting on, and he said he had been in touch with the relevant Amiga parties including Jerri Elsworth and Aeon to work on things.
Yes, they did say they had talked with Jerri - evidently nothing ever came of that (assuming "we talked with her" doesn't simply mean "we sent off an email and want to make that sound grandiose.") Leo is...better than Barry, at least, but although he at least understands that maybe alienating half the Amiga community isn't a good thing, he's merely running damage control for all the stupid things Barry says and does. Ultimately he's stuck playing Information Minister to Barry's banana-dictatorship antics; even if he does care for the community, it's not like he can actually achieve anything working for a guy who expressly doesn't give a damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoslover View Post
Why the anonimity?

Given some of the reactions, I presume the OP simply didn't feel like dealing with all the "OMG A GIRL ON THE AMIGA FORUMS" posts in person...

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #88
smerf
Defender of the Faith
Points: 12,464, Level: 73 Points: 12,464, Level: 73 Points: 12,464, Level: 73
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripitaka View Post
Back it up big mouth! You say something like that I need to see proof. So do it, show me that CUSA have actually got a "community" that is at least 10 times the size of existing AmigaOS, AROS, and MOS user base. I'm getting real sick of people using made up figures to back up wild opinion that they put forward as fact. If your going to say something like that then let's see the numbers.
Hi,

@Tripitaka,

Don't go getting your panties in a tightwad, does it really, really matter. Yes we are all sad about what happened to Amiga, but we have to look at things with a realistic view. The sad truth is, that maybe back in 1992 we could of had the Amiga pulled out, but today with everything modern day computers can do, there is hardly any new innovation to bring out. I mean my gosh, my son just bought a 3D monitor with a couple of 3D games, the games just jump out at you, and yes the PC world is now going 3D gaming, with sound so realistic that I can hear the noisy guy trying to sneak up behind me trying to cut my throat. I turn and look and get ready to fight, and the 3D knife that swings at me makes me want to jumpback in fear, it is that realistic. So tell me exactly what you want from the new Amiga. I mean for gosh sakes I just altered my dogs head with a pancake on it in about 5 minutes, using Linux open source paint programs. The Amiga at one time was the leader in high tech computers, how long do you think it will take MorphOS, AROS, Natami, etc. to get up to where the Amiga was, then think "How long will it take to catch up to where Linux is at today. We aren't even talking about Windows with it's professional software or Macs with its professional software.

So just maybe CUSA's Linux/Amiga pack isn't really that bad, it gives you a pretty up to date Linux software package with the ability to use Amiga software.

I won't buy one basically because I am computer literate in about several systems, old and new, and my computers have the same thing CUSA is doing and you know the average Joe out there who dropped Amiga and C64 years ago just might buy it for the memories of back then, but wouldn't buy a new Amgia today because of his doubt about where it will go and who is supporting it.

smerf

smerf

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better
smerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #89
smerf
Defender of the Faith
Points: 12,464, Level: 73 Points: 12,464, Level: 73 Points: 12,464, Level: 73
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

hi,

@Iggy,

[But Mint Linux is not an Amiga operating system]

I agree it is not an Amiga OS, but Amiga OS was an off shoot of Unix, and Linux is also an off shoot of Unix.

So they are all related and are as one.

smerf

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better
smerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #90
commodorejohn
VIP / Donor

You know what, though? If it's really true that the only worthwhile goal for the Amiga is to be on the technological bleeding edge, and it's really so impossible for it to achieve that goal and still be at all Amiga-like, then frankly it's just time to lay it to rest, not to flay the skin off the corpse and parade something else around dressed in it.