amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Operating System Specific Discussions AROS Research Operating System Aros coming to Rasberry Pi Video Introduction

AROS Research Operating System Your place for AROS discussion chatter.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
AmigaClassicRule
Cult Member
Points: 7,492, Level: 57 Points: 7,492, Level: 57 Points: 7,492, Level: 57
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Default Re: Aros coming to Rasberry Pi Video Introduction

WOW! I do not think I need to buy any AmigaOS 4.1 or morphOS this is it and I can use it on my PC without buying extra hardwares! I have some questions to ask:

1) Where can I download this version of AROS?
2) Does it work with any PC hardware, including supporting wireless connection or am I still restricted to a certain hardware PC type?
3) Can it be installed on a 64 bit motherboard or am I still forced to install it on a 32 bit hardware?

4) Can it be dueled with windows XP or do I need a fresh physical hard drive for it?
5) Does it support USB devices?

6) If I develop apps for the AROS can I easily compile it for other Amiga platforms?
AmigaClassicRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
Rebel-CD32
Technoid
Points: 8,569, Level: 62 Points: 8,569, Level: 62 Points: 8,569, Level: 62

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32

You can download the latest Icaros Desktop ISO from here - http://www.icarosdesktop.com/dl.htm

It has the Odyssey web browser included.

It still requires specific hardware but a lot of common cards and shipsets are covered these days. Best just to try it on your system and see what works.

Thanks to the Poseidon USB stack, it supports USB devices very well and is more configurable than other OSs you're probably used to (unless you're used to AmigaOS3, then it's the same).

If you develop in C for Aros it takes very little effort to port to other Amiga OSs.

Last edited by Rebel-CD32; 03-09-2012 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Forgot the stupid name of the browser
Rebel-CD32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #23
bbond007
Defender of the Faith
Points: 10,304, Level: 67 Points: 10,304, Level: 67 Points: 10,304, Level: 67
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaClassicRule View Post
WOW! I do not think I need to buy any AmigaOS 4.1 or morphOS this is it and I can use it on my PC without buying extra hardwares! I have some questions to ask:

3) Can it be installed on a 64 bit motherboard or am I still forced to install it on a 32 bit hardware?

6) If I develop apps for the AROS can I easily compile it for other Amiga platforms?
I know it can be run on a 64BIT MB as I have run it on mine, however I believe it is a 32bit binary and may not even benefit if it was recompiled 64bit anyway. Also, that might interfere with porting apps... having a 64bit integers and pointers by default.

I'm just learning the Intuition API and getting my sea legs there, so maybe I'm not the best to answer, but I'm running into AROS documentation quite a bit and the API's calls I'm using are pretty much identical. Screens, ViewPorts, RasterPorts, Windows, etc... I would think (for me anyway) the biggest challenge would be switching to gcc vs SAS, and I think gcc is probably more relaxed.. you'll just use gcc for classic so you won't run into any issues. I did get something for MorphOS to compile for AOS 3.X and the biggest issues I ran into were with MUI... unrelated I guess...

also if your app start out writing something like a new physics engine on AROS, then port to classic 68K, I think you are going to have some issues with performance.

Last edited by bbond007; 03-09-2012 at 04:35 PM..
bbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
AmigaClassicRule
Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
You can download the latest Icaros Desktop ISO from here - http://www.icarosdesktop.com/dl.htm

It has the Orygin web browser included.

It still requires specific hardware but a lot of common cards and shipsets are covered these days. Best just to try it on your system and see what works.

Thanks to the Poseidon USB stack, it supports USB devices very well and is more configurable than other OSs you're probably used to (unless you're used to AmigaOS3, then it's the same).

If you develop in C for Aros it takes very little effort to port to other Amiga OSs.

Can you point out to me what is the best hardware compatible for AROS? Even if by eBay it is better. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
minator
Cult Member
Points: 10,283, Level: 67 Points: 10,283, Level: 67 Points: 10,283, Level: 67
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_X View Post
The Raspberry Pi is small enough to fit in an A500.
I think you could fit a small army of them in an A500 case!
minator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #26
Rebel-CD32
Technoid
Points: 8,569, Level: 62 Points: 8,569, Level: 62 Points: 8,569, Level: 62

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32

Quote:
Can you point out to me what is the best hardware compatible for AROS? Even if by eBay it is better. Thanks in advance.
I'm not the best person to ask about PC hardware, but from what I can remember NVidia graphics cards are the best supported for both 2D and 3D. Might not want to get the latest cards in case they're not supported.

I know these USB Wireless adapters definitely work though http://www.ebay.com/itm/320786270882

A lot of people are happy running Aros on their Acer Aspire netbooks too, since all that hardware is supported.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
AmigaClassicRule
Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
I'm not the best person to ask about PC hardware, but from what I can remember NVidia graphics cards are the best supported for both 2D and 3D. Might not want to get the latest cards in case they're not supported.

I know these USB Wireless adapters definitely work though http://www.ebay.com/itm/320786270882

A lot of people are happy running Aros on their Acer Aspire netbooks too, since all that hardware is supported.
Wait..hold on....a second!! Is that USB Wireless adapters you should me up there works on Amiga 1200 USB port too???! If not which is the best USB wireless adapter for the A1200 again?

Are you seeing any of these notebooks should be fine with aros too?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #28
NovaCoder
Premium Member
Points: 10,769, Level: 68 Points: 10,769, Level: 68 Points: 10,769, Level: 68

I think this is a great idea, AROS and Raspberry Pi should go great together (I might even buy one myself).

AmiWolf AGA, AmiSpear AGA, BOOM AGA, ZDOOM AGA, Odamex AGA, AmiQuake AGA, AmiQuake 2 AGA
NovaCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #29
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith
Points: 11,528, Level: 70 Points: 11,528, Level: 70 Points: 11,528, Level: 70
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

In my experience aros works on ANY x86 computer, so long as you have the following easy to find on ebay parts :

Soundcard = sblive Networking intel pro 100 video : nvidia fx (550,650) series.

To me its worth 30 or 40$ in cheap easy to find parts to save yourself the hassle. Yes some onboard video/sound/net cards work, but in my experience its not worth the hassle trying to do that, just get any pc with 3 pci slots and you'll be fine with these easy to find parts...

My current machine is a 2ghz machine. Its fine for most everything (games, browsing, writing, whatever my day to day needs are)

AROS on PI will be nice, but remember, I don't think 700mhz will be beefy enough to play classic games. I think performance will be usable on native apps but slow on anything emulated.

Steven
haywirepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #30
HenryCase
Cult Member
Points: 5,872, Level: 49 Points: 5,872, Level: 49 Points: 5,872, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Quote:
Wait..hold on....a second!! Is that USB Wireless adapters you should me up there works on Amiga 1200 USB port too???! If not which is the best USB wireless adapter for the A1200 again?
Your best bet with regards to wireless Internet on classic Amigas is to use something with the Prism 2 chipset in. Driver is now free:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60248

I've not used wireless on classic Amigas though, so couldn't personally recommend any particular hardware device, but if you read through these threads you should get some clues on what to buy:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/tags.php?tag=prism2

Quote:
Are you seeing any of these notebooks should be fine with aros too?
A list of the best supported netbooks can be found here:
http://sites.google.com/site/arosasp...out-aspire-one
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #31
_ThEcRoW
Cult Member
Points: 8,061, Level: 60 Points: 8,061, Level: 60 Points: 8,061, Level: 60
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywirepc View Post
In my experience aros works on ANY x86 computer, so long as you have the following easy to find on ebay parts :

Soundcard = sblive Networking intel pro 100 video : nvidia fx (550,650) series.

To me its worth 30 or 40$ in cheap easy to find parts to save yourself the hassle. Yes some onboard video/sound/net cards work, but in my experience its not worth the hassle trying to do that, just get any pc with 3 pci slots and you'll be fine with these easy to find parts...

My current machine is a 2ghz machine. Its fine for most everything (games, browsing, writing, whatever my day to day needs are)

AROS on PI will be nice, but remember, I don't think 700mhz will be beefy enough to play classic games. I think performance will be usable on native apps but slow on anything emulated.

Steven
It still refuses to boot on my eeepc700 and eeepc900hd.
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.0 Registered
_ThEcRoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #32
klx300r
Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
Points: 10,927, Level: 69 Points: 10,927, Level: 69 Points: 10,927, Level: 69
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

awesome video as always Steve! Awesome news that AROS will be running on this cool little computer & looking forward to seeing all the nifty case mods for it
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
-AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE ***
klx300r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #33
lou_dias
Defender of the Faith
Points: 13,580, Level: 75 Points: 13,580, Level: 75 Points: 13,580, Level: 75

Send a message via AIM to lou_dias Send a message via Yahoo to lou_dias

I have downloaded 1.4!
Some bugs still exist. On my PC with an NVIDIA gpy, using a resolution of 1650x1050 causes screen corruption. Dragging the screen down a few pixels seems to fix it...as long as I don't move my mouse to the bottom of the screen.

Changing to this resolution gets rid of the "start" bar.

Also, on my other PC with an ATI card, the default resolution doesn't display correctly. It attempts to open a 1920x1440 screen in 4:3 mode when my monitor is 1920x1080p... Because of this, I can't see the start bar at all. Also, the left and right edges are actually cut off about about 16 pixels in this mode even though I can move my mouse to those cutoff areas.

Also, the hard drive install failed. I have 4 drives in my computer.
Unit 1 master: SSD
Unit 1 slave: 320GB HHD
Unit 2 Master: empty 80 GB HHD (this is the one I want for AROS)
Unit 2 Slave: BluRay/DVD combo drive

The unit that comes up for partitioning is unit 4. This doesn't make sense to me but I thought it found the "empty" hard drive automatically. Either way, it failed.

Also, when are the ATI drivers going to be updated? Seems those have lagged and all the focus is on NVIDIA...

Thoughts?
lou_dias is offline   Reply With Quote