Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to make backup copy from Workbench?  (Read 5778 times)

Description:

Offline SilverZguruTopic starter

• Show only replies by SilverZguru
How to make backup copy from Workbench?
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:29:28 PM »
Hi guys!
So I got an original Workbench 1.3 for amiga. Now I want to copy it to empty floppy. How can I do that?

Thanks -Eemil
Just some beginner stuff: 2 Amiga 500s, external FD, 512kb expansion mem, RGB Scart, some random joysticks :lol:, Amiga mouse (Tank model) and some floppies... And a dead Commodore 64C with Datassette cassette drive and RGB->composite wire. And some tapes, self made with computer and normal recordable cassette deck :)

Online Thomas

Re: How to make backup copy from Workbench?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
Insert the empty disk, wait until its icon appears then drag the Workbench icon over the empty disk's icon. If you have only one floppy drive you will need to change disks very often.

Another option is to use a copy program like X-Copy.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;680078
Insert the empty disk, wait until its icon appears then drag the Workbench icon over the empty disk's icon. If you have only one floppy drive you will need to change disks very often.

Another option is to use a copy program like X-Copy.

Not working! When dragging Workbench1.3 icon to empty, it's giving following error message: "Error while opening SYS:System/DiskCopy: 205". And I don't have any other apps like X-Copy.

What now?
-Eemil
Just some beginner stuff: 2 Amiga 500s, external FD, 512kb expansion mem, RGB Scart, some random joysticks :lol:, Amiga mouse (Tank model) and some floppies... And a dead Commodore 64C with Datassette cassette drive and RGB->composite wire. And some tapes, self made with computer and normal recordable cassette deck :)

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:55:56 AM »
Quote from: SilverZguru;680090
"Error while opening SYS:System/DiskCopy: 205".
What now?
-Eemil

Error 205 means the DiskCopy program can't be found.  Some possibilities: 1] It's not in the expected location (SYS:System/), perhaps it has been moved to some other directory.  2] It's been removed from the disk, maybe to make room for other applications.  3] The disk is corrupted.

Is DiskCopy  on any of your other disks?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:07:18 AM by Tenacious »

Offline pVC

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:42:15 AM »
If you can't find that diskcopy program and want to make backup with only WB disk available...

I think you had external floppy drive too, so:

1. insert empty disk in the external drive (df1) and format it
2. type in shell "install df1:"
3. insert original WB disk in the internal drive (df0)
4. type in shell "copy df0:#? df1: all clone"
5. wait until it copies everything and it's done

And in any case, keep your original Workbench disk write protected. Never let anything make changes into it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:44:37 AM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »
Oh, got it working!
DiskCopy was in wrong folder, so I copied it to System folder. But i am trying to write to PC DD floppy, but I always get an error at the end. Is it  because of floppy size? I know that amiga floppy size is 880kb and PC DD is 720kb? Should I try an HD disk?

PS. I have 1MB ram and external disk drive.

Thanks -Eemil

Offline zipper

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:46:49 AM »
Quote from: SilverZguru;680154
Oh, got it working!
 But i am trying to write to PC DD floppy, but I always get an error at the end. Is it  because of floppy size? I know that amiga floppy size is 880kb and PC DD is 720kb? Should I try an HD disk?

Nope. The disks are the same - there's no "Amiga" or "PC" floppy. They all are "1 MB " DD floppies; the difference is the file system written onto the floppy. MACs did btw 800 Kb AFAIR.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
Oh I did successful copy. Just wrote disk with internal drive :lol: External one can write HDs better but it's failing with DDs :hammer:

-Eemil

Offline Tension

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »
Quote from: SilverZguru;680158
Oh

People like you have killed the amiga. Dont you realise that you have just killed the developers family by doing your disgusting action. You dont deserve to live. I bet you lile torturing cats.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:10 AM »
Quote from: Tension;680161
People like you have killed the amiga. Dont you realise that you have just killed the developers family by doing your disgusting action. You dont deserve to live. I bet you lile torturing cats.

What's your problem??? :angry: I have the original copy of Workbench, so I just did a backup copy from my old and original Workbench 1.3.2!! So just shut up!

Offline spaceman88

• Show only replies by spaceman88
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 01:00:35 PM »
Quote from: SilverZguru;680163
What's your problem??? :angry: I have the original copy of Workbench, so I just did a backup copy from my old and original Workbench 1.3.2!! So just shut up!

err...I think that was a joke ;-0.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
Quote from: spaceman88;680166
err...I think that was a joke ;-0.

I don't know. There in finland, we actually don't understand english jokes very well. Sorry if it was. :sealed: :shocked: It's better that I ask questions from my local forums :lol:
But one more time... sorry :)

-Eemil

Offline paul1981

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »
Quote from: SilverZguru;680172
I don't know. There in finland, we actually don't understand english jokes very well. Sorry if it was. :sealed: :shocked: It's better that I ask questions from my local forums :lol:
But one more time... sorry :)

-Eemil

He's Irish, that was an Irish joke, so not very funny at all.
I thought Tension was quite insulting and it was totally uncalled for.
Don't let people scare you off, you're welcome here anytime... :)

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;680178
He's Irish, that was an Irish joke, so not very funny at all.
I thought Tension was quite insulting and it was totally uncalled for.
Don't let people scare you off, you're welcome here anytime... :)

Yeah!  And don't confuse Tension with Tenacious. (My jokes are better.)  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:44:17 PM by Tenacious »

Offline Tension

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
I apologise for that absurd outburst.

I would just like to say, this is the most humble day of my life.