Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 broken pin on PCMCIA port  (Read 1120 times)

Description:

Offline mcnab69Topic starter

• Show only replies by mcnab69
A1200 broken pin on PCMCIA port
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:31:50 PM »
Hi just joined this forum. I recently had to clear out my loft and in part of the clean up, found my old 1200 up there. I've dusted it off and it all still works, so starting to appreciate what an amazing computer it is.
look forward to catching up on my knowledge by reading this forum :)

Anyway, its a working A1200 and I've just acquired a PCMCIA adapter from AmigaKit in the UK and bought a small CF card to go with it.

The other night after removing the card and inspecting the internal port, I happened to notice that one of the PCMCIA pins on the Amiga end were bent and I tried to bend it back carefully but it snapped off :(
However, despite my worst fears, the PCMCIA adapter still works fine and I'm able to transfer files as if nothing had happened. Did some research and found that the broken pin is number 35, its the bottom left one looking into the port, which I've found translates as the function GROUND.

As the PCMCIA card works, just wondering how much of a problem this would be with other peripherals? any of you guys know whether this Ground pin matters?

Thanks in advance chaps.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:35:11 PM by mcnab69 »

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
Re: A1200 broken pin on PCMCIA port
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
Ground is tied to a lot of pins so probably you're just fine!
You're unbelievably lucky of choosing GND to break lol :)
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
Yeah I noticed that on the pinout diagrams I have seen, so yes I guess I am lucky and should count my blessings :)

Offline mechy

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »
Quote from: mcnab69;678759
Hi just joined this forum. I recently had to clear out my loft and in part of the clean up, found my old 1200 up there. I've dusted it off and it all still works, so starting to appreciate what an amazing computer it is.
look forward to catching up on my knowledge by reading this forum :)

Anyway, its a working A1200 and I've just acquired a PCMCIA adapter from AmigaKit in the UK and bought a small CF card to go with it.

The other night after removing the card and inspecting the internal port, I happened to notice that one of the PCMCIA pins on the Amiga end were bent and I tried to bend it back carefully but it snapped off :(
However, despite my worst fears, the PCMCIA adapter still works fine and I'm able to transfer files as if nothing had happened. Did some research and found that the broken pin is number 35, its the bottom left one looking into the port, which I've found translates as the function GROUND.

As the PCMCIA card works, just wondering how much of a problem this would be with other peripherals? any of you guys know whether this Ground pin matters?

Thanks in advance chaps.

Looks like its just fine, i would never be so lucky!:nervous:

Mech

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
Quote from: mechy;678791
Looks like its just fine, i would never be so lucky!:nervous:

Mech

phew! cheers chaps :)