Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigaworld.net Server Outage over  (Read 1948 times)

Description:

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
Amigaworld.net Server Outage over
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
News brought to you by Sibbi from amigaworld.net

Hey there people,

We suffered some kind of issue yesterday morning which caused the amigaworld.net server to become unresponsive, I haven't had time to look at exactly what went on, but I'll dig into it and see if it's something that we can prevent in the future.

Davey had the server rebooted after which the server did not come back up. The issue was a simple misconfiguration with regards to networking which caused the network interface to not be brought on line and the server was therefore not reachable.

After running a rescue procedure and then getting console access to the server, I was able to fix the error and bring the server back online.

We apologize for the extended amigaworld.net outage

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
Re: Amigaworld.net Server Outage over
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »
Looks like the MooBunny spammer was full of **** that he bought it down.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Zerohero

• Show only replies by Zerohero
    • http://www.zerohero.se/
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
@takemehomegrandma

Of course it was, AmigaWorld.Net is an important player in the Amiga community.
Is that all you got? I\\\'ll take your best shot!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676194
"We had three separate threads about this now, so I've combined them."

Was there *really* a need for a fourth?

There were 3 threads relating to the site being hacked/down. There was only one after I merged them. I don't see there being a problem with sharing the news that it's up again in a new thread.
int p; // A

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
Quote from: Zerohero;676197
@takemehomegrandma

Of course it was, AmigaWorld.Net is an important player in the Amiga community.

Cleaning up the main page is nothing new. Usually when doublet, triplet or quadruplet threads about the very same same subject is started, all but one of them are closed (or they are merged) by the moderators. Common practice, nothing unusual, and a good way of keeping the browsing experience clean and tidy for the benefit of the site's visitors. When that happens, it's usually required that further posts on the subject is being made *within* that merged thread, and no new threads about the same subject is being started. I think this is a good thing; while I can understand some people's urge to start new threads as soon as CUSA breaks wind, there is no reason to why these posts couldn't be collected into one single thread (not wanting to single out CUSA in a negative way, it's just one example of where multiple threads has been common).

You are an AW.net moderator, and I know for a fact that you have merged threads and closed doublets many times. This time a moderator had cleaned up the site by moving multiple threads into a single one. After a such a clean-up by a moderator, wouldn't it be better to direct all further posts of the same subject into *that* thread? Is it *really necessary* to start yet another thread?

"Of course it was" you say, "because of AW.net's importance"?! Well, then I guess you think that because of AmigaWorld.Net's importance, Karlos was *wrong* in grouping the multiple threads about the very same subject into a single thread in the first place? You think they should be restored to their four individual threads again? And would four threads about this important subject really suffice, or maybe a *fifth* thread should be started as well? I honestly don't think you as an AW.net moderator would make the same judgement on a CUSA thread, but I guess some subjects simply calls for double standards, right...? :rolleyes:

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »
@takemehomegrandma

Eh, massively overreact much?
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;676203
There were 3 threads relating to the site being hacked/down. There was only one after I merged them. I don't see there being a problem with sharing the news that it's up again in a new thread.

Well of course, You're The Boss, Boss!

I look forward to see this new practice being applied to *other* subjects/threads here on Amiga.org in the future. I would never have thought it would be OK, but I guess we users will have to learn the rules as we go...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676214
Well of course, You're The Boss, Boss!

I look forward to see this new practice being applied to *other* subjects/threads here on Amiga.org in the future. I would never have thought it would be OK, but I guess we users will have to learn the rules as we go...

Allegedly, you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time. Sometimes, I wonder if you only exist to prove it's impossible to please at least one person any of the time :lol:

Seriously, you are making an issue out of what, exactly?
int p; // A

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
Quote from: Daedalus;676210
@takemehomegrandma

Eh, massively overreact much?

No not really, it's not a big thing at all. Just trying to figure out the ways of the "new" amiga.org here ("post-Wayne"). We have one moderator taking some cleaning moderation actions by funneling multiple threads into one single, just to have another mod (the site onwer even?) happily disregarding this by starting yet another thread about the same subject. There is no reason to why "AW.net is up again" couldn't be at the end of a "AW.net is down" thread. It would even make sense, for history consistency.

I'm merely trying to understand how the rules are changing, which is becoming more and more difficult. Not long ago, the bigger part of a multi-page thread was completely wiped out by a moderator here, for no reason, without any warning, and to many people's great surprise. Moderation is always kind of precedent-setting, and the increasing ad-hoc moderation we have been experiencing "post-Wayne" is making it tougher and tougher to grasp what's OK and what is not.

The conclusion I have drawn about *this* subject:

Question: "Is it OK to start multiple threads about the same subject at amiga.org?"
Previous answer: "No. If a thread about the subject is already active, use that instead!"
Current answer: "It depends..." (I guess 'Question 1b' would be: "depends on *what* exactly?")

The fact that a moderator from AW.net expressed his opinions that double standards in moderation is OK if "the right" subject is being discussed, is hardly surprising. That was kind of expected after all, and was more of a side-note really. ;)

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;676216
I wonder if you only exist to prove it's impossible to please at least one person any of the time :lol:

Well I am very good at pleasing myself, and I can prove it any time! :p

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676220
Well I am very good at pleasing myself, and I can prove it any time! :p

:lol: Thanks, that won't be necessary. I'll take your word for it.

-edit-

As regards your rather deterministic view of how things (should) work, you are overlooking that moderator discretion applies in all matters except when a clear violation of the TOS occurs. People were turning up and basically asking the same thing repeatedly in new threads.

In your view, the announcement that it's back up should have been made in the same thread. I have no problem with that view. However, it was also an announcement rather than a repeat thread asking the same question and as so the converse case can also be made that it deserved it's own. I have no problem with that view either. So, I don't really see the problem *shrug*
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:24:54 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline kamelito

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »
While I can browse AmigaWorld.net when I'm not logged in, once logged the only thing I see is a grey page. On Ipad, Iphone, IE or Firefox.
I live in France.

Kamel

Offline zipper

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »
Out again a couple of hours ago - and now back...

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;676299
While I can browse AmigaWorld.net when I'm not logged in, once logged the only thing I see is a grey page. On Ipad, Iphone, IE or Firefox.
I live in France.

Kamel

Snap. I can't see anything other than the front page when logged in. The rest is just blank grey screens. :(