Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bug on AmigaOS4/1 for Classic CD (and how to fix it)  (Read 2450 times)

Description:

Offline mousehouseTopic starter

Bug on AmigaOS4/1 for Classic CD (and how to fix it)
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:28:30 AM »
OK, this weekend I finally received my 50p-to-68p SCSI adapter so I could hook up a SCSI CDROM to my CyberstormPPC SCSI, one of the basic requirements to install "Amiga OS 4.1 Update 2 for Classic". You really need to set the SCSI properties for the CDROM!

Go into the Cyberstorm early boot menu by holding ESC while resetting your machine. When presented with the menu choose "CDFS" and disable the RDB scanning. Then go into the SCSI menu and select the SCSI ID you gave to your CDROM, and change the Auto/Mount to "Mount". Make sure the option below that says "No CDROM Mount". Otherwise it will not work. When a CD is present in the drive at boot, the Cyberstorm SCSI controller will mount it as a drive. It gets a boot priority of 10, remember that so you know which drive will boot by default.

After finally getting all the settings right for the CDROM I was presented with a nice error. Has many errors before this one, but this error was also presented when trying to boot from the boot floppy, and the same when launching the installer from a working AmigaOS 3.x install on my HD.

wtf?

After some investigation I noticed the typo, the error shows "Kickstat" instead of "Kickstart"! I spent some time digging around on the CD to disassemble the boot sequence. As I have zero experience with version 4, this took some time ;-)

What's life without "Scout" on your machine?

I found out that the typo is made in "System/Kickstart/KickLayout-A3000". As I have been unable to find any related posts to my problem I assume there are not many users out there trying 4.1 on an A3000 :roflmao:

Anyway, the fix is to copy the contents of your CD to a directory on your HD and editing the KickLayout-A3000 file. Change the Kickstat to Kickstart. Then lookup the script used to start 4.1 from a 3.x system and update the file paths there. If you need help for that drop me a PM and I will post the script I used (ugly, works).

After this nice evening of troubleshooting I am finally presented with the following screen!

Hurrah! OK, then I was too tired and went to bed...

NB. Maybe Hyperion can fix this in the next CD... makes life easier ;-)
A3000T

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: Bug on AmigaOS4/1 for Classic CD (and how to fix it)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:45:25 AM »
Well done!
A+
Extra credit!
Full Points!

I wish my playtesters would generate such elaborately detailed bugreports as this.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA