Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore trademark has a new daddy  (Read 24049 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Commodore trademark has a new daddy
« on: December 30, 2011, 06:13:30 AM »
News from digitex via http://www.commodore-amiga.org/

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/27-commodore-usa/11229-commodore-trademark-has-a-new-daddy--#11229

(News article from site reprinted below for your convenience)

After months of hard work and international legal filings, I am thrilled to finally announce that Commodore Holdings (C Holdings), which is the corporate entity that owns and holds the trademark IP "Commodore" is no longer a part of or a division of Asiarim Corp. The stock in Commodore Holdings was pledged as collateral years ago, and 100% ownership of that company is now in the hands of a new group (wonder who that can be?). Additionally, a ruling came down this afternoon from the Netherlands court that has formally put Commodore Licensing B.V. into involuntary bankruptcy. This bankruptcy proceeding was initiated by this same group. Asiarim and whatever else is left of it will shortly be following suit. The Netherlands court will be appointing a receiver for the bankrupt parties within the next day or two.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Commodore USA.....and btw, this news has NOTHING to do with our major announcements that will be forthcoming shortly.

Happy New Year everyone. I wish each and every one of you, our customers, supporters and forum members, health and happiness in 2012.

Barry
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:55:28 AM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline tasmanian guy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by tasmanian guy
    • http://www.amigaformat.com
Re: Commodore trademark has a new daddy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 06:49:36 AM »
What new major announcement?

So Commodore is no longer Commodore USA?  

I am so confused in this whole saga.  One of the best computers ever released hardly gets a mention in any of the retrobooks I've been reading of late.  They just focus on Apple, IBM, Atari, Sega, Nintendo it was as if the Amiga never happened....perhaps it is just a dream and I'll wake up to find Bobby Ewing in my shower!
Amiga 1200 1U Rack project

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 07:03:28 AM »
Quote from: Transition;673538
News from digitex via http://www.commodore-amiga.org/

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/27-commodore-usa/11229-commodore-trademark-has-a-new-daddy--#11229

After months of hard work and international legal filings, I am thrilled to finally announce that Commodore Holdings (C Holdings), which is the corporate entity that owns and holds the trademark IP "Commodore" is no longer a part of or a division of Asiarim Corp. The stock in Commodore Holdings was pledged as collateral years ago, and 100% ownership of that company is now in the hands of a new group (wonder who that can be?). Additionally, a ruling came down this afternoon from the Netherlands court that has formally put Commodore Licensing B.V. into involuntary bankruptcy. This bankruptcy proceeding was initiated by this same group. Asiarim and whatever else is left of it will shortly be following suit. The Netherlands court will be appointing a receiver for the bankrupt parties within the next day or two.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Commodore USA.....and btw, this news has NOTHING to do with our major announcements that will be forthcoming shortly.

Happy New Year everyone. I wish each and every one of you, our customers, supporters and forum members, health and happiness in 2012.

Barry

This implies that Transition is really Barry? I hope this isn't true.

Yeah i don't understand the saga either but I'm hoping this will mean CUSA will be worse off and not gain from it. They are not worthy of getting more than what they already have. Exactly what does this mean.

As for the big announcement, do we get a prize if we guess what it is? Don't expect me to reply to anything you say as i'm shunning you until you prove you are not Barry/digitex   :razz:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Krischan76

• Show only replies by Krischan76
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:51:11 AM »
@CUSA/C=: Unlaid eggs. Nothing substantial so far.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 08:37:21 AM »
Well I read that to mean that CUSA now own the commodore trademarks and IP rather than just having a licence to use them.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Tension

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
So the trademarks are now officially owned by Nicholas then? This is excellent news! Thank goodness for that, someone we can actually trust for once.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »
Quote from: tasmanian guy;673541
perhaps it is just a dream and I'll wake up to find Bobby Ewing in my shower!

Which is why one should have a camera at hand all the time, even when taking a shower.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 11:52:34 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;673542

Yeah i don't understand the saga either but I'm hoping this will mean CUSA will be worse off and not gain from it. They are not worthy of getting more than what they already have. Exactly what does this mean.

it means they own the IP now.   As for being worse off don't count on it.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline digitex

• Show only replies by digitex
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;673542

As for the big announcement, do we get a prize if we guess what it is? Don't expect me to reply to anything you say as i'm shunning you until you prove you are not Barry/digitex   :razz:

Well, we got 'mo!
On Dec 22, 2011 Commodore USA, LLC and Amiga Inc. signed a new contract granting us EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to ALL format computers branded with the Amiga trademark IP. These registered trademarked logos include the BOING Ball, TIC/Check mark, letter A and the word AMIGA logos. Form factors include, but are not limited to Desktop, HTPC, Tower AIO/ Keyboard etc. This contract will run through Dec 31, 2018, with optional renewals. Additionally we have been granted the right to enforce the Amiga trademark IP, in instances where we feel the trademark property has been either used in an unauthorized manner or in a form not allowed under current international and US law. We look forward to releasing our initial Commodore Amiga branded computers beginning by the end of the first quarter 2012.

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 03:00:06 PM »
Personally, I won't buy it unless it has an Amiga-like OS on it. But that't me and my narrow-minded views of what an Amiga is...
Ed.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 03:01:54 PM »
It's good that all the Commodore and Amiga branding is united under one roof again.....

.. as long as the names aren't just used to stick on generic PCs as leverage to sell machines anyway.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »
Most probably it will be 10 games in a joystick kind of thing.

Offline Krischan76

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
Quote from: digitex;673599
Additionally we have been granted the right to enforce the Amiga trademark IP, in instances where we feel the trademark property has been either used in an unauthorized manner or in a form not allowed under current international and US law.

This may turn out to be the Devil's hoof for some, I'm afraid.

Offline digitex

• Show only replies by digitex
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »
Quote from: Krischan76;673605
This may turn out to be the Devil's hoof for some, I'm afraid.

????????

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=devil's%20hoof

Offline Krischan76

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »
Oh crap - I translated from my native language directly without consulting a dictionary. Funny meaning still.