Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I received my Amiga 4000T and I am facing a problem with it...  (Read 3191 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
I received my Amiga 4000T and I am facing a problem with it...
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »
The guy who have given me the Amiga 4000T have the following specs:

1) Big-big tower case, it have the A4000T Video Toaster on the front end of the case.
2) It have build in CD-ROM player, a disk drive.
3) Six internal hard drives
4) A Video 4000 toaster
5) Two POWERFUL sound cards placed in the zorro slot
7) It have 2 MB Chip RAM and 128 MB Fast RAm
8) 68040 processor

When I turn the Amiga 4000T on it boots and the hard drive make this weird wrong ticking noises, it prompt right away Kickstart 3.0 ROM. The CD ROM LED light activity is constantly ON it is not stopping in motion...it just constantly turned ON.

But when I reboot the system again...it is black screen and nothing else shows.

When I press both the right and left mouse button at startup and look at what the devices it sees, it only shows the disk drive.

When I look at the expansion side of it it only shows one working expansion...even though there zorro cards, one is video toaster and the other for sound card and editing and stuff.

So I do not know what to say or do about this? What recommendation do you suggest in terms of filtering out the problem for the Amiga 4000T.

I kinda want this Amiga over the other Amigas I have in my house. Thanks in advance.

I talked to the guy who gave me the Amiga 4000T for free and he said that the scsi hard drive, the big huge one is normally for it to make ticking noises....still I need your input on this. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:26:34 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline QuikSanz

Re: I received my Amiga 4000T and I am facing a problem with it...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
Hi,

Write down what cards are where and remove them. Try and start from a bare bones machine,  maybe graphics card only if one is present.

Chris

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 12:05:59 AM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;672769
Hi,

Write down what cards are where and remove them. Try and start from a bare bones machine,  maybe graphics card only if one is present.

Chris

Good tips, I may also suggest if you are still having issues, to strip it down, and start over... be sure to note where all those cables go tho...

Oh, and don't remove the CPU card.. :D

A4000T's , especially in a Toaster/Flyer setup can act really flaky, tho, maybe it's just my 4000T...
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 08:06:01 AM »
A real 4000tower or 4000desktop made into a tower would not bring up a kickstart pic.
If the hard drive has lost it's boot sector, it would show a insert workbench disk.

If the hard drive is corrupted, just put in a workbench disk.
If it's a 4000Desktop, it should boot from the floppy.
If it's a real 4000Tower, you will need a 4000T workbench (as it needs wb.libs)
m

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »
um, I wouldn't remove all the cards right away. perhaps its better to just try without the hard drives first. keeping in mind that scsi needs proper termination. also check if everything is firmly seated, perhaps transport has moved something inside.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 04:23:03 PM »
Just to point out that you really, really, really! need to terminate the 4000 SCSI bus... if you don't the system will hang at boot.

There is a built-in terminator in the mouse/keyboard print at the back of the case. Maybe the SCSI ribbon cable came loose from that?

Try removing the drives from the SCSI cable and have it run from the motherboard to the terminator. If you then turn on the system you should be greeted with the famous kickstart 3.1 screen...
A3000T

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
Actually I am deciding to sell it. The Amiga 1200D that I have is way superior than the Amiga 4000! First it have a PCMCIA slot allows me to actually go wireless on the internet easy peezy, with the desktop Amiga 1200 I have way more upgrades than the A4000. It have build in IDE port allows me to use modern 2.5" laptop hard drive. It is just better, it is smaller and I love it. So I am going to sell the Amiga 4000, the video toaster and all the cards, I am going to sell the other Amiga systems, everything, the Amiga CD 32 that he gave me and leave the Amiga 1200D.

In the Amiga 1200D he gave me it have installed a SCSI port, down o nthe ground I have a big case with scsi cable to install cd-rom and hard drive easy. Oh yeah, the big case that have scsi cable it also have a powerful ATX powers supply like hte on AmigaKit is selling so I do not need any other power supply or two power supply or anything. I just turn it on and both the Amiga 1200, the hard drive, CD-ROM everything turns on at the same time. It is a great system setup.  Oh the Amiga 1200D is also have a 128 MB RAM like the A4000, I think it have 68040 card.

So yeah...sticking with the amiga 1200D. You guys have fun with the a4000
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 05:28:03 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »
Quote from: mousehouse;672849
Just to point out that you really, really, really! need to terminate the 4000 SCSI bus... if you don't the system will hang at boot.

There is a built-in terminator in the mouse/keyboard print at the back of the case. Maybe the SCSI ribbon cable came loose from that?

Try removing the drives from the SCSI cable and have it run from the motherboard to the terminator. If you then turn on the system you should be greeted with the famous kickstart 3.1 screen...
Once again. No 4000 will show a KICKstart pic. Kickstart is in rom.
What you should see is a insert Workbench disk screen.

BTW, if this is a 4000Desktop that has been placed in a tower.
It has ide connector on the motherboard.
If it has scsi, it must be a add-in.

If you're going to sell this please show us a pic!

m
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 05:31:43 PM by SACC-guy »

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »
I am selling the A4000T separately from the video toaster and other cards of course.  I need to make a little more money :D But there will be lots and lots and lots of pictures and everything so do not worry.

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »
I will post links for purchase. Oh yeah, ones I make sure the Amiga 1200 works 100% I am also selling my Amiga 500 with 8 MB of RAM and external GVP hard drive with 100 MB and it's power supply and the Amiga 500 power supply :). So you guys could fun all the way.

I just realized that the Amiga 1200 is truly the most superior Amiga classical models in the world. I was a moron to have sold my first Amiga 1200 but I am glad I got it back...though the case it needs a little bit of cleaning. But I am glad I got another chance to own ones again. :D This time I will never let go it of it again ever!!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 05:52:41 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 09:46:39 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 11:48:39 PM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;672857
Once again. No 4000 will show a KICKstart pic. Kickstart is in rom.
What you should see is a insert Workbench disk screen.
m

say what?
it doesn't matter if some call it  'insert workbench disk *animation*' or kickstart.pic, its the same thing. and its still in rom.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 04:59:15 AM »
Quote from: orange;672892
say what?
it doesn't matter if some call it  'insert workbench disk *animation*' or kickstart.pic, its the same thing. and its still in rom.

Sorry, but they are not the same thing.

The A1000 came without Kickstart in ROM and you had to load Kickstart from floppy disk first, to get to the "insert Workbench Disk" animation.

Amiga users that came to the Amiga later than the A1000, and have never seen or owned one, might not know that it booted to a screen asking for a Kickstart disk first, then after you loaded the Kickstart floppy disk, it then showed the screen asking for the Workbench disk.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 05:44:02 AM »
I have a little problem with my Amiga 1200D. I need someone to help me with this. In the Amiga 1200D that I got it have a SCSI expansion card installed into it...when I hook the external SCSI hard drive box with the CD-ROM the Amiga 1200 does not detect it all. No matter what I do it does not detect the CD-ROM or the HD from the SCSI cable. Another problem I am facing, it does not have a HD installed into it..but it takes like a complete minute before the kickstart screen appears, and the floppy disk does not work. However, ones the kickstart 3.1 screen appears and I place the floppy disk it takes 20 seconds after inserting the floppy disk for the Amiga 1200 to read the disk. However, when I soft reboot the system it goes into black screen and wait another one complete minute before the kickstart screen appears...but the disk drive no longer read the floppy disk even earlier it read it before. I do not know what to do. I want TO SOOO BADLY WHEN I USE the SCSI cable the SCSI CD-ROM works. Both the CD-ROM and HD are placed inside a PC case with a power supply and a long SCSI cable hooked into the back of the A1200 SCSI port.

but when I place a copy of Amiga OS 3.5 into the CD ROm my Amiga 1200 does not see it nor the HD either....I am torn!! I reaaally want badly to get my A1200 working. Thanks in advance!!

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 08:29:22 AM »
After reading your previous messages and looking at the pictures in the bay selling links.
You need a crash course in amiga.
The quote 1200 with highflyer endquote is a 4000Desktop in an expansion case.
the tower is also a 4000Desktop in another expansion case. The scsi drives might be flyer drives. Not system drives.

The amiga does not know cd drives without add-on software, several version available.
So...go step by step to make sure the basic machines are working.
It's possible that the external box was configured to be a system drive and cd drive.
It might have lost it's booting software?
good luck
m