Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released  (Read 8858 times)

Description:

Offline AmiDelfTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmiDelf
    • http://www.amitopiatv.com
AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »
Hyperion Entertainment is pleased to announce the immediate availability for download of Update 4 by registered users of AmigaOS 4.1 for all supported platforms.

Hyperion continues its tradition to provide regular free updates of AmigaOS 4.1 and with the festive season just days away, this is a particularly appropriate time for a free update.

Update 4 requires AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 prior to installation.

The following new functionality and bug fixes are included in Update 4:

Introducing the new Emulation drawer with official AmigaOS 3.x ROMs and Workbench files. AmigaOS ROMs are provided for all classic Amiga models and the CD32 platform.
Added RunInUAE contribution to utilize the new Emulation drawer.
New scsi.device patch for Classic installations which enables SCSI drives to be used for memory paging (SWAP).

Added NoDriveClick utility for Classic users.
Added DefIcons support for RunInUAE.
Updated TCP/IP stack with much improved DHCP support.
Updated MUI with various fixes.
Various Workbench fixes.
Fixed several USB issues.
Fixed elf.library that could cause programs using shared objects to misbehave when unloading (e.g. Timberwolf).
Hyperion Entertainment wishes to thanks its customers for their continued support in these exciting times for the Amiga platform.

Nice Christmas present from Hyperion to the Amiga Community.

Source:
Hyperion AmigaOS Website
I love and respect people which care! And not those with
a heart made of stone.

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:49:20 AM »
A W E S O M E!
You guys rock!
Thanks! ;)

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:35:53 AM »
* Introducing the new Emulation drawer with official AmigaOS 3.x ROMs and Workbench files. AmigaOS ROMs are provided for all classic Amiga models and the CD32 platform.
* Added RunInUAE contribution to utilize the new Emulation drawer.
* New scsi.device patch for Classic installations which enables SCSI drives to be used for memory paging (SWAP).
* Added NoDriveClick utility for Classic users.
* Added DefIcons support for RunInUAE.
* Updated TCP/IP stack with much improved DHCP support.
* Updated MUI with various fixes.
* Various Workbench fixes.
* Fixed several USB issues.
* Fixed elf.library that could cause programs using shared objects to misbehave when unloading (e.g. Timberwolf).

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »
Gief GREX support :(
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

Offline strim

• Show only replies by strim
    • http://c0ff33.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
Quote from: mfilos;672539
Gief GREX support :(

The problem with GREX is that no one* knows how to program it.

I have partly reverse engineered the GREX programming interface. See this thread on AmiBay. Unfortunately, I don't own the hardware myself and I've got to the point where it is difficult to continue without it ;).

I've got memory and I/O accesses figured out, reading configuration from the PCI card too. I still don't know how to access configuration for PCI slots beyond slot 1. Also, I've never checked if interrupts work the way I suspect they work.

If anyone has information regarding GREX programming, please drop me PM. I'm the guy who wrote this driver, and I'd gladly extend it to support GREX. It's open source, so it could be used as a reference to write AmigaOS 4 driver...

* - No one interested in sharing this knowledge.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »
Quote from: AmiDelf;672528
Hyperion Entertainment is pleased to announce the immediate availability for download of Update 4 by registered users of AmigaOS 4.1 for all supported platforms.

Hyperion continues its tradition to provide regular free updates of AmigaOS 4.1 and with the festive season just days away, this is a particularly appropriate time for a free update.

Update 4 requires AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 prior to installation.

The following new functionality and bug fixes are included in Update 4:

Introducing the new Emulation drawer with official AmigaOS 3.x ROMs and Workbench files. AmigaOS ROMs are provided for all classic Amiga models and the CD32 platform.
Added RunInUAE contribution to utilize the new Emulation drawer.
New scsi.device patch for Classic installations which enables SCSI drives to be used for memory paging (SWAP).

Added NoDriveClick utility for Classic users.
Added DefIcons support for RunInUAE.
Updated TCP/IP stack with much improved DHCP support.
Updated MUI with various fixes.
Various Workbench fixes.
Fixed several USB issues.
Fixed elf.library that could cause programs using shared objects to misbehave when unloading (e.g. Timberwolf).
Hyperion Entertainment wishes to thanks its customers for their continued support in these exciting times for the Amiga platform.

Nice Christmas present from Hyperion to the Amiga Community.

Source:
Hyperion AmigaOS Website

Nice one. But how's the legal affair os the Kickstart ROMs. Aren't these property of Cloanto?

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
@Zylesea

I think Cloanto licensed Kickstart ROMs from Amiga. And I think Hyperion and Amiga had an agreement to distribute Kickstart ROMs. I recall they did that in early 4.0 days.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
Interesting, shall give it a whirl if I get a chance over the holidays...

@zylesea
Was it not the case that Hyperion have the rights to distribute up to 3.1 alongside Cloanto? My memory is a little vague on that area of the settlement, but I thought that was included...
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
This might sound like flame bait given my sig etc, but doesnt really seem to be much of update ??
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »
Quote from: JJ;672574
This might sound like flame bait given my sig etc, but doesnt really seem to be much of update ??

Sadly, I have to agree. I was REALLY hoping the fix to the 8bit screen corruption on the RadeonHD4650 would have been included. Without that fix, all the RunInUAE stuff is completely useless to me. :(
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 03:38:40 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;672545
Nice one. But how's the legal affair os the Kickstart ROMs. Aren't these property of Cloanto?

According to the settlement, Hyperion has a license to "use, develop, modify, commercialize, distribute and market the Software in any form (including through sublicensing)". "The software" is defined as "Amiga OS 3.1, [..] the Operating System [..] originally developed, owned and marketed by Commodore Business Machines (CBM) for their Amiga line of computers in 1994."

I'm not a lawyer, so I was never sure if "AmigaOS 3.1" in lawyer-speak means "version 3.1 of AmigaOS" or "all versions of AmigaOS, up to 3.1". Looks like it might be the latter, unless "official AmigaOS 3.x ROMs" in the announcement refers only to 3.1. Though that would make me wonder why only 3.x ROMs are included.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 03:57:52 PM by cgutjahr »

Offline Vulture

• Show only replies by Vulture
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 03:40:29 PM »
Quote from: mpiva;672582
Sadly, I have to agree. I was REALLY hoping the fix to the 8bit screen corruption on the RadeonHD4650 would have been included. Without that fix, all the RunInUAE stuff is completely useless to me. :(

Why not use it on 16bit then? 8bit screenmodes lack proper color anyway (copper skies, aga stuff etc). Is it too slow on your machine if you do that?

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
Quote from: JJ;672574

Given the lack of news in the update (with the exception of bundling UAE and OS3), I'd say it's mainly an attempt to clean up the mess they created with OS4.1.3.

So in a way (provided that old bugs are really cleaned away rather than new ones introduced) OS4.1.4 seems to be what OS4.1.3 *should* have been, but not much more on top of that. But good news to the faithful I guess...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »
Here you go again.. Update 3 wasn't a "mess". Some people had problems, lots of others didn't. You know, its fine if you're not a fan of OS4, but the way you constantly try and find fault is really sad.

Anyway, Update 4 was mostly bugfixes yes, but thats what the Updates generally are.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »
My point was it was not very many bug fixes.  Bragging that was a free update was pathetic
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"