Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Amiga Magazines  (Read 6798 times)

Description:

Offline gizz72Topic starter

• Show only replies by gizz72
Old Amiga Magazines
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
Greetings,

As I clean my basement the other day, I found my box full of my old Amiga Magazine(Amazing Computing, Amiga World and some RUN). It's funny but I kind of stop what I'm doing bend down and read them again. That would take me an hour or two before I snap out of it and remember I need to attend to something else. It still gives me that smile once in awhile at the same time sadness and bitterness about their amiga-ads that once written there or the publication it used to circulate before. . . I used to read them endlessly, but, of course it's old it dies down. Not the same feeling as a new one would give. Anyone here still reads old mags(that is if you haven't sold them yet)?

Regards,

GiZz72
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline b41d3r

• Show only replies by b41d3r
Re: Old Amiga Magazines
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:23:18 PM »
Hi,

I know someone who would be interested to get a scan of your old mags, look at here : http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/
As for me, even if I tend to keep everything I can, I admit that computers mags were the first on the fly to garbage.
Yet, some time ago, I found on price minister a complete collection of the first programming mag I had in hand.
When I got it and read it, it was so weird to recall pictures and articles from the depth of my memory.It was like a flash of past coming into my mind.
It was a french mag principally devoted to pocket computers (Sharp, Casio, etc ...) but gave me the curiosity of learning programmation.
It showed too how costly were the computers at this time, and how fortunate we are now to get the old computers of our dream for nothing or so !

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:15:43 PM »
The old magazines are a fantastic resource. In addition to the historical perspective, I always appreciate learning about forgotten programs, tools, or techniques that haven't become widely known in the internet era.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:45:04 PM »
Ditto. I get a lot of enjoyment out of reading my old mags. Have nearly a complete set of AmigaWorld and Amazing Computing and have been really getting back into Compute! these days too. Vic, C64, TI, ST, Amiga, Apple - loads of fun re-reading peoples input/probs/complaints/tips, the games that could be typed in and just the general enthusiastic attitude everyone had back then regarding this particular hobby. Really takes me back to when times were much better that way. I cherish my mag collections as much as I do the rest of the hardware and software I collect.

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:42:27 AM »
@gizz72

Well said.  Yes, I still read them now and then -- and I think I have a tear in my eye at times. :-(

Offline MobbyG

• Occupy Amiga
    • Show only replies by MobbyG
    • http://www.amigaz.org
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:20 AM »
I came across some of my old Amiga World mags sometime ago and spent a good 45 minutes to an hour reading through them. I miss getting them in the mail and sitting down in front of my Amiga 500 and reading it and dreaming of havig more money to buy all the goodies.
-=:[ Rich Lawrence ]:=-

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:14:35 AM »
Although I have just about every magazine ever scanned (many now lost because sites went down) there's nothing like having real magazines to read. The earlier the better.

Offline tasmanian guy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by tasmanian guy
    • http://www.amigaformat.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:54:29 AM »
I have every issue of Amiga Format bar 2, and every Amiga Format annual bar 2......

I have the first issue of Your Computer (Australia) and the very first issue of Australian Commodore Review.

I have heaps of The One, Run! and Compute Magazines sitting in boxes downstairs....
Amiga 1200 1U Rack project

Offline Seaquest

• Show only replies by Seaquest
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »
I love to read old CU, Amigaworld,Datormagazin(norwegian)C+VG an so on..
Brings back a lot of memories:-)

Good Times
Amiga4000/060,PIV,Toccata,MultifaceIII,Octagon2008,AdrianeII

Offline Digiman

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
Quote from: tasmanian guy;671257
I have every issue of Amiga Format bar 2, and every Amiga Format annual bar 2......

I have the first issue of Your Computer (Australia) and the very first issue of Australian Commodore Review.

I have heaps of The One, Run! and Compute Magazines sitting in boxes downstairs....

Do you have the last two issues (88/89?) of The ONE AMIGA?

Offline Digiman

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »
Quote from: Seaquest;671277
I love to read old CU, Amigaworld,Datormagazin(norwegian)C+VG an so on..
Brings back a lot of memories:-)

Good Times

Early mags like TV Gamer were amazing too because it was the start of home video games (VCS/COLECO/Intellivision/Vectrex/G7000 etc) and obviously I had never seen computers outside Star Wars/Battlestar Galactica.

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 07:22:36 PM »
I scanned all of mine over a period of a couple years.. it isn't the same as a paper zine, but I'm really glad to be rid of the 15 milk crates full of paper. ;-)

One thing that would make a really handy community project would be an index to all these scanned magazines. I've got a couple of indices to one or two zines... but that's about it.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline Minuous

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 03:25:38 AM »
Quote from: tasmanian guy;671257

I am very interested in preserving the Your Computer magazines. I got in touch with Les Bell (the founder and editor), but doesn't have any copies, even for his own use. The Your Computer Bumper Book of Pocket Programs is available on my page at http://amigan.1emu.net/aw/ but nothing else seems to be available. Would it be possible for you to scan the issue you have? That would be greatly appreciated.

Offline tasmanian guy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 07:06:40 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;671352
I am very interested in preserving the Your Computer magazines. I got in touch with Les Bell (the founder and editor), but doesn't have any copies, even for his own use. The Your Computer Bumper Book of Pocket Programs is available on my page at http://amigan.1emu.net/aw/ but nothing else seems to be available. Would it be possible for you to scan the issue you have? That would be greatly appreciated.

Yes certainly possible.  There was only 30,000 copies made of issue 1.

There was a big fire at the Your Computer office and all the issues they had there were destroyed.  They even printed an advert requesting for people who had issues to send them in so they could be preserved.

I dont know how well this went, not so well by the sounds of it.

I'm in the process of scanning Amiga / ST format and all of Amiga Format magazines (missing two issues and two of the annuals) but can interrupt that and scan this issue.  Give me a week, are you an Aussie?

Offline tasmanian guy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 07:08:16 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;671283
Do you have the last two issues (88/89?) of The ONE AMIGA?
I'd have to check in my 30 odd boxes of magazines I have downstairs.