Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: help me restore my newly acquired Amiga 3000  (Read 9054 times)

Description:

Offline KremlarTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kremlar
help me restore my newly acquired Amiga 3000
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:31:13 AM »
As I mentioned in another thread I am once again an Amiga owner! Now the proud owner of my previously owned Amiga 3000. I sold it to a buddy in 1992 or so when I replaced it with an Amiga 4000. A few days ago, almost 20 years later, I found that he still had the Amiga in storage.

Please forgive me because although I lurk around here to reminisce and follow the current Amiga scene, I haven't used one in probably 15-18 years.

It's an early Amiga 3000, pre-ordered and received just after release, with the Kickstart ROM tower.

I took it apart and cleaned it up to see what's going on. My main goal would be to restore it to as close to factory condition as possible, perhaps some reliability upgrades but nothing that would take it too much away from stock. Once I get it up and running it will be mostly to reminisce and perhaps play some games, nothing too crazy.

Here are some photos and questions I have:

- What can/should I do about the ROM tower? If you look at this pic, you'll see that 2 pins seem to have broken off inside the sockets (upper socket, left-most pins). If I remember correctly, one may have broken off way back when I originally owned it. The other may have broken off today when I removed the tower. However, even with 2 broken pins the machine boots and prompts for a Kickstart file. Not sure if this means it will operate fine without these broken pins or what. Even if it does, can I load Kickstart 3.1 off disk? Or should I just buy a set of ROMs? If so, what ROMs would I need?

- The battery looks in overall good condition, but there does seem to be some corrosion and leakage below it. I want to de-solder and replace this battery ASAP. Any tips? What can I replace it with? I am definitely not very good at soldering:

- There is a strange cable that you can also see in the above pic that's soldered to the motherboard near the flicker fixer switch. Seems to have some sort of adjustment screw on the end of it. Doesn't look very stock. Anyone know what that is? Doesn't ring a bell for me at all.

- The system doesn't boot with the hard drive attached, giving the error listed below. I'm suspecting a bad hard disk. What's my best bet to get this thing up and running disk-wise? I was thinking of using a CF card, but SCSI card readers seem expensive and I'm not sure how to get IDE on a 3000. I may have some SCSI hard drives kicking around the office, if I do I may go that route. I also noticed the SCSI terminator sockets are empty on the motherboard.  Do terminators need to be installed here if nothing is attached to the external SCSI port?  I'm wondering if that also could be why the hard disk is not booting.

- System came with a floppy drive installed, but it did not appear to be the stock unit. Eject button certainly doesn't match the front of the case. It's a Chinon FB-354. What's my chances of getting a replacement floppy drive with button that matches the front of the case? Once I get it running, what's the best way to get software to/from the Amiga? Ethernet? CF card? Something else?

- System did not have a mouse. What's my best chance of getting a fairly stock replacement? eBay? Can't do too much without that!

Well, I think that's it for now! Really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Offline Azryl

• Show only replies by Azryl
    • http://www.azryl.com
Re: help me restore my newly acquired Amiga 3000
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:35 AM »
Hiya..  asap remove the battery, it is leaking. If you have side cut snippers you can cut the battery front and back and physically remove it. You will then need to remove the motherboard from the case and desolder the battery legs left in the mobo.

On ebay there is someone selling the coin battery replacement device that is very easy to install but you must have the mobo free from the case to do it correctly.

Please get yourself some 1024*4bit Zip fast ram! All 16meg of it if you can afford :)
Even 4meg will make a difference!

Any 50pin SCSI drive under 1gigabyte should work with your rom tower. Kickstart 1.3 and the onboard SCSI ship should allow the 1gigabyte drive to be formatted. If I remember correctly you should have the superkickstart roms in the rom tower, but its been a long time since I had my 3000 without 3.1ks roms in it :)

The missing SCSI terminator packets from the back sockets is ok, just use an external terminator, a good idea anyway as you should get yourself an external SCSI CD-reader/burner. Makes the Amiga much nicer to use, download all your wanted programs and utilities on the net-connected PC and burn to CD-rom.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/buddha

Internally if you want to use IDE I would suggest buying a Buddha IDE as it will autoboot under KS1.3 or above with an IDE drive upto 4gig in size. I have one in my A2000, 4gig IDE drive with IDE cd-rom chained from it as well.

Ethernet is available as a Zorro card, the X-surf is a nice RJ45 style network card with SANA2 drivers. Also has non-booting IDE ports and a clock port. Aridaine is older and harder to find now, but also a nice ethernet card.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/xsurf2

Sorry but the mouse and internal floppy you will need to search on Ebay or maybe you can place a wanted add on

http://www.amibay.com/

Amibay is an amazing resource for Amiga items...  have fun with your new/old Amiga!

Az
Completely useless? I can always be used as a bad example  :lol:

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »
about the strange cable, perhaps its an extender to the scandoubler fine tuning.
Better sorry than worry.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
Hiya.. asap remove the battery, it is leaking. If you have side cut snippers you can cut the battery front and back and physically remove it. You will then need to remove the motherboard from the case and desolder the battery legs left in the mobo.

I snipped it as best I could and cleaned it with a toothbrush + clear vinegar and distilled water, and here is what I'm left with. Am I aiming for better than this, or is the remaining rust on there as good as its going to get? Trying to not make things worse by scrubbing endlessly. I haven't removed the motherboard from the case yet. It does still boot as far as it had.

Also, here is the underside of the ROM tower.

I do believe the RAM is maxed out (I maxed it out when I owned it if I remember correctly. Here are the zips.

Any 50pin SCSI drive under 1gigabyte should work with your rom tower. Kickstart 1.3 and the onboard SCSI ship should allow the 1gigabyte drive to be formatted. If I remember correctly you should have the superkickstart roms in the rom tower, but its been a long time since I had my 3000 without 3.1ks roms in it :)

Less than 1GB will be a problem... probably don't have anything that small kicking around.  I'm going to see if I can fix the termination issue and perhaps that will allow this 52MB drive to boot. If that works I can test the floppy and perhaps make some disks so that when/if I replace the drive I'll have the ability to reload. I do have a set of Workbench 2.04 and 2.05 disks, plus 2.04 Kickstart, but it's hard to say what works and what doesn't at this point. The disks are obviously old.

Offline tone007

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »
The ROMs you have are the early softkick or SuperKickstart ROMs, if you don't intend to install a CPU card (your ROMs require the 68030 to work) you can actually get a 3.1 Kickstart file to boot from.  The only pain about that is getting the hard drive partitions named and set up right for the SuperKickstart ROMs to be able to find your kickstart file.  It would be easier to just grab a set of 3.1 chips for a 3000 from eBay and stick them in your tower, I wouldn't worry about the odd pins stuck in the sockets on the board, as far as I've heard those two sockets aren't useful on that revision motherboard.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
The ROMs you have are the early softkick or SuperKickstart ROMs, if you don't intend to install a CPU card (your ROMs require the 68030 to work) you can actually get a 3.1 Kickstart file to boot from. The only pain about that is getting the hard drive partitions named and set up right for the SuperKickstart ROMs to be able to find your kickstart file.  

Thanks.. I did some googling late last night and found some threads kind of indicating the same.  Definitely don't want/need a CPU upgrade, so Kickstart files seem like the way to go at least for now.

Now I need to somehow find the files I need and a way to get everything insalled!

Offline 560SL

• Show only replies by 560SL
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 05:46:40 PM »
Interesting project ahead of you. It must have been a killer machine in the days with 16 Mb fast.

I'd go for the 3.1 chips, just because it's... so much easier than the hazzle with softkicking. And sooner or later you probably want to upgrade the CPU anyway.

I would also check out the Buster chip, get a rev 11 of eBay. Same thing with the WD SCSI chip, it looks like you have rev 4, I believe rev 8 is the latest to look for.
AmigaOS: Forward Into The Past

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »
It was... and so was the 4000 I bought right after release.  I was a lucky kid at the time.  ;)

Offline lost_loven

• Show only replies by lost_loven
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 01:23:13 AM »
That wire is the vga tuner. i have the stock scsi on my a3k and runs a 36 gig hd just fine.. of course using the 4 gig limit with ffs but you can always use the sfs and go above that. buster i wouldn't worry about that right now, i do believe that just gains you dma with zorror 3 . get the coin battary , they are cheap. I put a drive in from one of my a500's and it works just fine as df1: with a few mods to the metal chassis and slips in fine. Want to go cheap? get a null modem cable (i use parallel) and dump everything to the amiga with networked drives on a pc.  Maybe i make a video. hope this helps.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51809&highlight=a3k
Also use nail varnish where the battery leaked to protect the motherboard from any more damage.

lost
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:11:14 AM by lost_loven »
A3000D 2 meg chip, 4 meg fast,128 meg zorram! 16 gig scsi2sd, 3.1 ROM, A3640, Indivision ECS, X-surf-100. Rapid Road usb, Amd scsi chip, Buster11. FTP service now with my Ethernet WD2TB Live Book, haha love it !
hp lappy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lost666loven?feature=mhum

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 02:24:43 AM »
OK, I finally have a working mouse and I've spent a few hours trying to get Amiga Explorer working.... with no luck so far.

Wondering if anyone might be able to help?

I have an older 2.x Super Kickstart disk, but with that Kickstart I only have 1 disk that will boot - an Amiga 3000 Install disk which boots to a workbench.

The other Workbench disks I have (2.04 and 2.05) complain that the Kickstart is too old.

So, my goal is to get Amiga Explorer working so I can write an ADF containing a newer Super Kickstart to floppy disk - BUT I can't get Amiga Explorer working!

I go through the Setup and can type the command:
Type SER: to RAM:Setup

...which seems to work OK.  Then it prompts me to type:
RX RAM:Setup

...which wasn't working OK because it was looking for a library that wasn't on the Amiga 3000 Install disk I was booting from (mathieeedoubbas.library I believe).  SO, I found that library on another disk and copied it over to my Amiga 3000 Install boot disk, and now I can type that line without error.

Amiga Explorer then seems to transfer another file over successfully, then opens a window on the PC that says:

Copying...
C:\Program Files\Cloanto\Amiga Explorer\Amiga\AExplorer

...which times out, and an error comes up saying:

Error writing to COM port.
Please make sure that Amiga Explorer 2.1 or higher is running on the Amiga...

The Amiga is just sitting at a CLI prompt, and there are 2 files in the RAM Disk (Setup and Setup2).

Not sure what's wrong or how to proceed.... or if there's another way of creating a newer Super Kickstart disk from the .adf I have.

I feel if I can get Amiga Explorer working to create floppies from .adfs I'm good to go and can create a new set of disks....

HELP!

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 03:08:48 AM »
Scratch that - tried another null modem cable and it looks like I'm in business! I have a SCSI card reader from a4000t.com on order as well since the hard drive in this system seems to be toast.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:57:59 AM by Kremlar »

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
One thing I've found is that my 3000 will not boot past a white screen unless the SCSI hard drive is attached.  I even found an internal 50-pin terminator that I plugged in in place of my hard drive, and it just hangs on a white screen - even if I hold both mouse buttons on boot.

Any ideas on that?  Seems kind of strange...

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
AFAIR there's a looong timeout for the 1st HDD in some Kickstarts.

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
OK... I've made tons of progress! Amiga Explorer has saved the day and now I can connect over and create floppies from ADFs.

So, I've been struggling with this 50MB SCSI drive to see if I can get it working while waiting for my CF card.

I'm able to see it with HDToolBox, partition and TRY to format it - but every time I do it gives me a "Format Failed, Error During Format" message sometime during the format. I've tried using both FFS and OFS, tried a new SCSI cable, etc., and get the same results.

I hooked the drive to a PC, wiped formatted, tested, and wiped it again and it seems fine. Tried again on the 3000 and have the same issues.

SO, I decided to bring it back to the PC and try to format and install Workbench on it using WinUAE. It was successful! Which I find odd.

Why can I format and install Workbench on this drive using WinUAE but NOT on my actual Amiga?

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
Another quick question, for anyone familiar with this old Super Kickstart from disk crap.

I'd like to configure this hard drive as it was originally.

- I know I need a WB_2.x: partition.  Can this be the only partition, or would I simply make this a small partition and have a standard DH0: partition along with it?

- Do I need a WB_1.3: partition if don't want to boot to 1.3?

- I know the Super Kickstart files need to be in WB_2.x:devs/kickstart.  I assume "kickstart" needs to be a drawer containing the file?  If so, does the filename matter?  Or is the file actually called "kickstart" and located in WB_s.x:devs?