Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An alternative approach to re-launching classic computers...  (Read 7051 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohnTopic starter

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
An alternative approach to re-launching classic computers...
« on: November 28, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »
While I would love to go and post this thread about a computer with nothing at all in common with the Amiga in "Amiga News & Community Announcements," as is traditional, I'm afraid I suffer from a compulsion to put threads in the appropriate forums, even at the expense of wantonly flaunting them for attention :(

Now, we all know the obvious and sensible approach to re-launching a classic computer line: first you license a brand name from whoever vultured it from the corpse of the original owner, then sit on it for a few years while you try to decide how best to exploit it, and your CTO has little squabbly feuds with people.

Then you start ballyhooing for a year or so about getting replica cases made and what a miracle of engineering and business that is, while your CEO has big squabbly feuds with people, and you have your hangers-on dance around ever actually admitting that the hardware underneath is going to be a generic PC clone. You also buy ad support from Disney and act like this is proof you've been chosen to be the next Pope.

Then you stick a mediocre PC clone board inside, forget to cool it properly, and yammer about how many hundreds of thousands you're going to sell, and how you've totally got contracts with Wal-Mart, for real, and no people can't see them, while you make a big deal out of getting new office space in a strip mall, and your CEO asks people about their sex lives.Then you sort-of-release it for three times the value of the components, and the mainstream media picks up on it for a day, goes "huh, whaddya know," and utterly forgets about it afterwards, and a handful of people pre-order (make sure to never actually release any numbers, so that nobody can know how poorly you're doing!)

Then you dance around acknowledging the cooling issues for a while, and decide that the thing to do is moderately improve the cooling, but put in a newer, mightier board that will run even hotter, while publically wanking to the idea of selling $25K workstations with $1000 branded cases, even though you think "support" is what you use to keep your junk in place during football practice.

That makes perfect sense, right? It's obviously just good business and helps community relations like you wouldn't believe. So imagine my surprise when I discovered this. These peoples is crazy!

What do they think they're doing? They've got some crazy project where they actually replicate the function of a (cult) classic computer in hardware, when everybody knows the way forward is to give in and become PCs! And even though everybody knows that you can't have custom hardware and not cost a bajillion dollars since that's what limited production runs cost, and custom cases are a miracle from the heavens brought down by the Archangel Barry, they've got both! And all they're asking is $400! Shouldn't that be like ten times that much? It's like they don't understand this business at all!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline OlafS3

Re: An alternative approach to re-launching classic computers...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
that is the difference between idealists and people that just want to make money (as much as possible)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »
You are wrong on so many levels, I won't bother to correct you.  I will say though, just accept it and move on.  You don't want their products, don't buy it.  I am at a loss on why this is eating you up like it is.   I suggest you just deal with it here and now, everything is OK, things happen for a reason and live life as happy as you can.  If you don't, when the massive reality check hits, I fear your life is really going to fall apart.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
Quote from: dammy;669371
You are wrong on so many levels, I won't bother to correct you.  I will say though, just accept it and move on.  You don't want their products, don't buy it.  I am at a loss on why this is eating you up like it is.   I suggest you just deal with it here and now, everything is OK, things happen for a reason and live life as happy as you can.  If you don't, when the massive reality check hits, I fear your life is really going to fall apart.
Heh, I know it's fun to play armchair psychologist, but actually it's not eating me up at all. I find the whole affair hilarious, in a pathetic kind of way.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:21:04 PM »
You forgot about coming up with your own linux distro that violates copyright and doesn't work properly...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
Quote from: dammy;669371

I'm in agreement with you and just want to know why this site has degenerated into nothing but CUSA bashing.  Amiga.org has become a total waste of time due to folks like Franko and his sock puppet/clone AKA commodorejohhn.  I wish they'd set up their own web site and call it something along the lines of http://www.ihatecusa.com or some such and post their tripe on it instead of this site.  They're totally counter productive and I'm just sick of hearing all their bitching.  Or better yet, since they profess to be so smart, why don't they use their resources to produce a product that people would want to buy instead of spending so much time here whining about CUSA?

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
Damn CUSA is harming the C64 & Amiga ideas and the perception people should have about those nice computers coming back.
CUSA should disappear, and I truly hate what they are trying to do, so I hope the worst to them.
But I'm a perfectly happy person otherwise ;)

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »
@ferrellsl
You haven't yet figured out yourself what's wrong with CUSA? If not, study the subject some more, the "whining" isn't coming out of nowhere...
CD32
A500

Offline Dazxy2001

• Show only replies by Dazxy2001
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
It reminds me a little of the old ZX 80 and the ZX 81 which I believe you can still buy in kit form, I think hobbiest would appreciate such a machine.... its ironic, when I first started to read the post I thought you were talking about Commodore...
Rediscovered that Amiga companionship :)
A1200 Rev 1D4, 030 40mhz, 16MB +2chip
A1200 Rev 1D4, 030 28mhz, 8MB +2chip
A1200 Rev 1A, 2MB
A1200 Rev 2B, 2MB
A1200 Rev 1D1, 2MB
A500 Rev 6A 512K +A501 512K
A500+ Rev 8 2MB & Supraram 2MB sidecart
Lombard G3 Powerbook 333Mhz, 384MB, 12GB HD, FreeBSD 8.2-Release
Acer Aspire One 1.5GB Ram 8GB SSD, Aros

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
Quote from: Bamiga2002;669381
@ferrellsl
You haven't yet figured out yourself what's wrong with CUSA? If not, study the subject some more, the "whining" isn't coming out of nowhere...

I really don't care about what's wrong with CUSA.  I've heard what's wrong with them "ad nauseum" from folks like you and Franko ever since they started their business.  What I care about is what's right with Amiga.  That's why I joined this site, but now it's just full of trolls who have nothing better to do than complain about CUSA, among other things, instead of focusing on Amiga, retro-computing and helping each other.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;669375
I'm in agreement with you and just want to know why this site has degenerated into nothing but CUSA bashing.  Amiga.org has become a total waste of time due to folks like Franko and his sock puppet/clone AKA commodorejohhn.
I can't be a Franko clone! I'm not even Scotch, I'm Norwegian-American!

And if you want to know why the backlash, you may stop and consider the simple explanation: it's because of the behavior of CUSA as a company, and Barry, BigBenAussie, and dammy as individuals. Or, you know, you could just ignore all that and pretend that there's no basis for it at all.

Or better yet, since they profess to be so smart, why don't they use their resources to produce a product that people would want to buy instead of spending so much time here whining about CUSA?
Would if I had resources :/

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;669384
I can't be a Franko clone! I'm not even Scotch, I'm Norwegian-American!

And if you want to know why the backlash, you may stop and consider the simple explanation: it's because of the behavior of CUSA as a company, and Barry, BigBenAussie, and dammy as individuals. Or, you know, you could just ignore all that and pretend that there's no basis for it at all.

Would if I had resources :/

I'm not ignoring anything.  I just sick and tired of constantly hearing about it, as are others here.  As Dammy said,if you don't like them or their product, then don't buy it.  All the CUSA hating here is getting really old.  Put a lid on it and do something constructive for a change.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 06:12:06 PM »
Quote from: Bamiga2002;669381
@ferrellsl

How about pointing to any active threads about C=USA that wasn't started by a C=USA hater?  I can remember one thread started by a none C=USA hater this month, or was it last month.  Either way, it does seem like people keep dragging this subject out to piss and moan about it to relieve some type of massive frustration that is pent up in their life.  

It's nearing the holiday season.  Go out and prepare for happy times of being with family and friends.  That's the real importance of life, being with those you care about and eating some fattening foods plus drinking adult beverages along the way.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »
Quote from: dammy;669386
It's nearing the holiday season.  Go out and prepare for happy times of being with family and friends.  That's the real importance of life, being with those you care about and eating some fattening foods plus drinking adult beverages along the way.
Oh, I am. But that doesn't preclude me from doing this!

Offline Snoozy

• Show only replies by Snoozy
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;669383
I really don't care about what's wrong with CUSA. I've heard what's wrong with them "ad nauseum" from folks like you and Franko ever since they started their business. What I care about is what's right with Amiga. That's why I joined this site, but now it's just full of trolls who have nothing better to do than complain about CUSA, among other things, instead of focusing on Amiga, retro-computing and helping each other.

I agree with you.

I am also fed up with people launching a tirade of abuse at C=USA, if you don't like their products don't purchase them.

I also felt that Commodorejohns response to Novacoders comment in a previous recent thread was inappropriate to put it mildly.

If you do not agree with anothers opinion, fine document it but do not call their opinion " a load of sh*t", where are your manners? :confused: