Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore 64 mentioned in Yahoo News (11/9/2011)  (Read 973 times)

Description:

Offline FloridaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Florida
Commodore 64 mentioned in Yahoo News (11/9/2011)
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:08:44 PM »
It is an article called 'The Best Products to Come in Second Place'.

Link:
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/113756/best-products-second-place-thestreet

Quote:
"To add another wrinkle into the debate of the best OS not being the most popular, there are also Linux users willing to go toe-to-toe with "distros" such as Red Hat and Ubuntu. Peer back in time a bit and you will also find plenty of computer geeks (and we use term affectionately) who can make a persuasive case for the Commodore 64 (made between 1982 and 1994, with a modern iteration now available) having not only state-of-the-art hardware at a consumer-friendly price, but a graphical approach that rivaled, if not surpassed, even Apple's."

Notice the 'modern iteration' link that takes you to the Commodore USA web site.
it·er·a·tion(t-rshn)
n. 1. The act or an instance of iterating; repetition.
2. Mathematics A computational procedure in which a cycle of operations is repeated, often to approximate the desired result more closely.
3. Computer Science a. The process of repeating a set of instructions a specified number of times or until a specific result is achieved.
b. One cycle of a set of instructions to be repeated: After ten iterations, the program exited the loop.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Commodore 64 mentioned in Yahoo News (11/9/2011)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »
Awwwk! Commodore 64 relaunched by Florida furniture resaler! Awwwk! Polly wanna cracker! Awwwk!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:37:41 PM »
LOL at "a graphical approach that rivaled, if not surpassed, even Apple's."

The Apple II is an excellent piece of engineering, but Apple wasn't ever really the head honcho when it came to graphics.

Offline mrmoonlight

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:40:40 PM »
Did i just read some thing about Minidisc , and ipods ,what a joke ,the two should not be linked together ,Minidiscs rock , ipods lol mp3 crap and always were ,,oops sorry ,lost the plot for a moment ,good old Commodore 64 for getting a mention .
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Quote from: Linde;667165
LOL at "a graphical approach that rivaled, if not surpassed, even Apple's."

The Apple II is an excellent piece of engineering, but Apple wasn't ever really the head honcho when it came to graphics.

I haven't read the article (I find yahoo's "journalism" a joke), but I got the impression from the quote, they were referring to GEOS when talking about the graphical approach.

But like I said, I never read the article.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
Horrendously disjointed article per Yahoo usual format.  Nothing but ticker links, quips from other sources and wiki quotes.

More **** they "write" to try and get on Reddit and Digg.