amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Operating System Specific Discussions Amiga OS Amiga OS 4.x (future) Hardware Compatibility Discussions So, where was "X" at AmiWest?

Amiga OS 4.x (future) Hardware Compatibility Discussions Discussion of hardware required for, and /or available for running Amiga OS 4.x and later versions.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #41
ajlwalker
Technoid
Points: 8,594, Level: 62 Points: 8,594, Level: 62 Points: 8,594, Level: 62
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Default Re: So, where was "X" at AmiWest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorkany View Post
Are you both being deliberately obtuse or did you just not understand the topic of the thread?

"X" is not the X1000 - it's the "Power of X", the answer to the question A-eon hyped on their website "What is X"? It refers to the components on the X1000 motherboard that are supposed to distinguish it from other OS4 supported hardware. The XMOS processor "Xena", the proprietary Xorro bus, and to a certain extent the multiple cores of the PA6T. None of these are supported by OS4 and have never been demonstrated.

It's funny how the OS4 community having found that these components are not supported by OS4 and will not be supported anytime soon are now trying to downplay "X", which was the primary selling point of the X1000 and the only thing which distinguishes it from your typical SAM or Eyetech A1. Basically the people who got hyped into this thing are paying $3000+ for a somewhat faster single CPU system - and that's it. For that kind of money the unique distinguishing features of the X1000 should be supported, nevermind the standard onboard components which are also not supported by OS4.
Ok, I'll bite. Where are your examples of the OS4 community downplaying "X"? Of course I'll need plenty of examples given that you reference the whole community. I'll need examples of them hyping it in the first place too.

Oh, and jorks accusing anyone of being obtuse is frankly ****ing hilarious. So cheers for the laugh at least jorks.

Another thing, is it your $3000 they are spending? If not, why should they care what you think?
ajlwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #42
ajlwalker
Technoid
Points: 8,594, Level: 62 Points: 8,594, Level: 62 Points: 8,594, Level: 62
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by itix View Post
My Amiga 500 is old and crappy but it is still the best Amiga ever. But thank you for insulting Amigans.
He didn't insult amigans. I certainly took no offence. I don't think you should either given that I doubt very much you were the target of his ire.
ajlwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #43
itix
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 13,392, Level: 75 Points: 13,392, Level: 75 Points: 13,392, Level: 75
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

I wonder what is that comment about people with old and no more selling computers about.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #44
_ThEcRoW
Cult Member
Points: 8,509, Level: 62 Points: 8,509, Level: 62 Points: 8,509, Level: 62
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

He clearly insulted morphos people, referring to the old macs.
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.0 Registered
_ThEcRoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #45
TheBilgeRat
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,020, Level: 63 Points: 9,020, Level: 63 Points: 9,020, Level: 63
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Check Google Earth, maybe the X is more visible from altitude?
TheBilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #46
commodorejohn
VIP / Donor
Points: 11,260, Level: 70 Points: 11,260, Level: 70 Points: 11,260, Level: 70
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Oh, well that makes it totally different then.

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #47
koaftder
VIP / Donor
Points: 13,396, Level: 75 Points: 13,396, Level: 75 Points: 13,396, Level: 75
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlwalker View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Where are your examples of the OS4 community downplaying "X"? Of course I'll need plenty of examples given that you reference the whole community. I'll need examples of them hyping it in the first place too.
You're joking right?

Quote:

Oh, and jorks accusing anyone of being obtuse is frankly ****ing hilarious. So cheers for the laugh at least jorks.
Doesn't mean he didn't have a good point and on this particular topic he's right on the money. Go look at the original marketing literature for the A1X1K and the years worth of people day dreaming all kinds of insane things about the "xena" and "xorro", all the bs about scientific computing and the like, then go watch guys ask steven solie questions about that during a recent conference and he stumbles, laughs about it and basically says he has no idea what it's for and he has no idea about whether or not there will be tools to even support it on AOS. The lead developer dude on the project has no idea what the "X" parts in the "Amiga One 'X' 1000" (the flagship machine) are for what the status of the dev tools are.

Last edited by koaftder; 12-17-2011 at 05:53 PM..
koaftder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #48
kickstart
Banned
Points: 10,450, Level: 67 Points: 10,450, Level: 67 Points: 10,450, Level: 67
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribdevil1 View Post
And it's more funy, how people with old and crapy no more selling computers, (like Apple PPC) think are superior people, cause their CLONIC Amiga OS.
Maybe these old machines are more powerfull than your sam of your signature, its hard but true.
kickstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #49
amigadave
Lifetime Member
Points: 22,837, Level: 93 Points: 22,837, Level: 93 Points: 22,837, Level: 93
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorkany View Post
Talking about Xena, Xorro, and SMP demonstrations on the X1000. Any video footage, pictures or write-ups on demonstrations of "The Power of X"? Did any scientific users take note?
It was clear to me from the beginning that the addition of the XMOS processor on the Nemo motherboard was just something for third party hardware developers to play with.

Where did you get your impression that A-Eon, or Hyperion would be doing any development that would take advantage of the XMOS technology? I must have missed that announcement.

I agree that the time to develop and release the X1000 system has been unfortunately long, but then no one involved in this project to my knowledge has any previous experience in creating a new motherboard from scratch that is intended only for the Amiga market, so it is not surprising to me that it has taken longer than any of them first expected.

Luckily for those interested in purchasing such a system, the wait is almost over. If you are really interested in the X1000 project, perhaps you should have purchased one of the beta test systems so you could have provided something constructive to the project. It is no too late to do so. You could purchase one of the "First Contact" X1000 systems and begin some productive work for it's ongoing development.

Or, you could continue your attempts to ridicule and embarrass the people who are really interested in this project, even though your comments do nothing but cause further conflict and hinder cooperation and progress.

It is your choice which path you tread. You can be a positive influence, a negative influence, or you can give up trying to influence in either direction and choose something that really interests you and spend your time and energy there.

There will be plenty of opportunities for you and others to be critical of what the X1000 and XMOS will be in the future when it is available and in use with the general public, but my suggestion is that you find something else to concentrate your energy on that you can be a positive influence on and give up your efforts to cast negative impressions on any projects. It is a waste of time, energy and bandwidth.

Life is short, make better use of it.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #50
ribdevil1
Hobbyist
Points: 3,524, Level: 37 Points: 3,524, Level: 37 Points: 3,524, Level: 37
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

To drive in the city I don't need a Ferrari, only a good car.

And a SAM it's the AMIGA, that I need.

It's my new CHAMELEON 64 A C64 or an AMIGA ?
ribdevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:43 AM   #51
itix
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 13,392, Level: 75 Points: 13,392, Level: 75 Points: 13,392, Level: 75
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Oh... then please stop dragging MorphOS into your AmigaOne civil war.