Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mega-Midget Racer issue  (Read 984 times)

Description:

Offline C64erTopic starter

• Show only replies by C64er
Mega-Midget Racer issue
« on: October 06, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
Hello all,
Need some help\advise with my A-2000.

My system is:
Running OS3.1
A-2000 Rev 4.3
Upgraded to full ECS
SupraRAM 2000 w\8MB
GVP HDC +2 w\2MB Quantum Fireball ST 3.2GB
Mega-Midget Racer 68030\25Mhz w\2MB

According to the MMR manual, I add to the top of the Startup-Sequence:
CSA-MMR SROM SRAM DRAM. Later in the manual is states that if I'm running OS 2.0 (or greater I assume) to omit SRAM from the command, and change a jumper for 512kb Kickstart ROM. Finally it states that if you are using a DMA controller with FFS to add to the Mount List for each partition using FFS, MASK = 0XFFFFFF to utilize the 32 bit RAM.

Now doing all this yields an unstable system with frequent lockups and software errors. Dropping the DRAM from the command line fixes this issue but of course the 2MB of RAM is also dropped. I also noticed the old MASK = value was 0xFFFFFFFE, the manual has me drop the FE off the end.
The manual also states the Mountlist is located in DEVS/Mountlist, mine is in the root of System:

Another issue is with the CSA-MMR command added to Startup-Sequence I get annoying pop up telling me something is trying to close a window, if I add the CSA-MMR line to User-Startup then it does not happen.

Thanks!
Dan

Offline number6

Re: Mega-Midget Racer issue
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »
Quote from: C64er;662677
Hello all,
Need some help\advise with my A-2000.

My system is:
Running OS3.1
A-2000 Rev 4.3
Upgraded to full ECS
SupraRAM 2000 w\8MB
GVP HDC +2 w\2MB Quantum Fireball ST 3.2GB
Mega-Midget Racer 68030\25Mhz w\2MB

According to the MMR manual, I add to the top of the Startup-Sequence:
CSA-MMR SROM SRAM DRAM. Later in the manual is states that if I'm running OS 2.0 (or greater I assume) to omit SRAM from the command, and change a jumper for 512kb Kickstart ROM. Finally it states that if you are using a DMA controller with FFS to add to the Mount List for each partition using FFS, MASK = 0XFFFFFF to utilize the 32 bit RAM.

Now doing all this yields an unstable system with frequent lockups and software errors. Dropping the DRAM from the command line fixes this issue but of course the 2MB of RAM is also dropped. I also noticed the old MASK = value was 0xFFFFFFFE, the manual has me drop the FE off the end.
The manual also states the Mountlist is located in DEVS/Mountlist, mine is in the root of System:

Another issue is with the CSA-MMR command added to Startup-Sequence I get annoying pop up telling me something is trying to close a window, if I add the CSA-MMR line to User-Startup then it does not happen.

Thanks!
Dan

You need to redirect to eliminate the window.
I have this line at top of startup-sequence on an A500 as an example:

CSA-MMR >NIL: SRAM DRAM

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:41:27 PM »
Thanks #6, I'll give that a try at lunch.

Dan

Offline mechy

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:07:09 PM »
If i am reading right i see you are trying to map 10MB into zorro2 space,and only 8MB is allowed.seems you have a conflict there,try removing 2MB off the GVP or supra(maybe just yank the supra temporarily to see if it runs stable?)

if all fails put the mask back to what it was before and see if that helps.
You shouldn't be using a mountlist with a autobooting hd controller,you would change the mask with hdtoolbox or whatever your using(gvp tools) in each partition in the RDB.

you mention your settings drop the 2meg of ram off the MMR when you drop the "dram" command.. Are you sure the 2MB on the MMR is good?-bad ram can cause you headaches. IS it in the right sockets? is it actually 2MB? double check this and verify it.

as for the commands in the user startup,its probabaly fine there since it just gets started later. but a Run >NIL: in front of the line may help the popup requester issue.

The MMR is a cantankerous piece of equipment when combined with other old boards sometimes. Your best bet would be adding a full 8MB to the MMR,since its 32bit ram-it will be much faster. ditch the 16bit ram boards. i have had trouble in the past with 32bit ram and 16bit ram living together with some cards but i dont think this is your trouble(yet)..

Mech

Offline joekster

• Show only replies by joekster
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
I can say for certain that the csa-mmr and gvp series II scsi controllers don't work together. No way no how. I've use suprascsi and trumpcard with no problems. The csa-mmr *may* work with a gvp series-1 controller as they were only pseudo-dma. I haven't tried this combination. I would disable the scsi card and make a boot disk to determine that the rest of the system is playing nice together.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:12:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips folks,
I need to open her up this weekend and double check all the jumpers. And go from there.

Dan