Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Deneb production run?  (Read 9922 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRatTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
Another Deneb production run?
« on: September 21, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
Mods, please move if this is wrong area for hardware speculation.

Anyone know if there is going to be another run of Deneb?  Vesalia is out with no estimated receipt date, and Amigakit has pulled them down entirely.

Offline stevee617

• Show only replies by stevee617
Re: Another Deneb production run?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »
We can only hope....if there is, I will be first in line to buy one!
Steve E

-AmigaOne x5000 | 8GB RAM | AOS 4.1| Radeon 7770
-Amiga 2000 | GVP 030 Combo | 9MB RAM | 4GB HD | Flicker Fixer | Cybervision 64/3D

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
I think the Subway is still for sale, if you can get something with a clock port in your Amiga (like an Xsurf) I think you should be able to USB through that route...

Would not get my hopes up on a new DENEB run...
A3000T

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;660404
Anyone know if there is going to be another run of Deneb?  Vesalia is out with no estimated receipt date, and Amigakit has pulled them down entirely.

I don't think so.

I would like to see "DaVinci" see the light some day (with real PCI busmastering in ZorroIII and memory window and fake dma using rtg ram on ZorroII).

While we wait I would be glad to upgrade my Prometheus to "Firestorm" firmware. Perhaps Michael could send the prometheus upgrade file and cable to someone he trusts (perhaps an amiga distributor like Amigakit or Vesalia) and the person or distributor could perform the update. It's kinda sad that the update is ready but Prometheus users can't use it :-(

Another idea would be creating a small bounty to port MorphOS/AROS pci ohci/uhci/ehci device to OpenPCI so it works in OpenPCI supported platforms: Mediator with any card, upgraded Prometheus, perhaps GRex too, Amithlon, OS4...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:53:29 PM by Crumb »
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline TheBilgeRatTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
Well, dangnabit.  An XSurf would be nice, but they're rarer than denebs and already fetch crazy prices.  I think its going to have to be natami or nothing anymore.

There should be some method of doing group buy and small production run since the hardware is proven...

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »
£400 and you can have my Deneb. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;660414
Well, dangnabit.  An XSurf would be nice, but they're rarer than denebs and already fetch crazy prices.  I think its going to have to be natami or nothing anymore.

There should be some method of doing group buy and small production run since the hardware is proven...

I've seen the X-surf on Ebay and Amibay several times, I traded one for another ancient networking card just a few weeks ago... The DENEB on the other hand... best set (Poseidon+Deneb) for the Amiga ever IMHO, I've never seen traded anywhere.

NB. Doesn't the Buddha Flash of some version also feature a clock port?
A3000T

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »
Quote from: mfilos;660432
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=655748&postcount=51

It looks like there's enough demand for another run, but I think the issue is one of parts availability.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;660411
I would like to see "DaVinci" see the light some day (with real PCI busmastering in ZorroIII and memory window and fake dma using rtg ram on ZorroII).

!?Que?!
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »
That would surprise me, as the only real things present on the DENEB are a Spartan3 FPGA and some external Flash memory I believe... should be less of a problem than the stuff used to produce the ACA cards...
A3000T

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »
Quote from: billt;660449
!?Que?!

DaVinci is an unreleased PCI solution that is fitted on top of ISA slots (more or less like Mediator4000T) and connects the ZorroIII slot with the PCIs. The mechanical design was fairly nice and would have allowed fitting in all ZorroIII machines. Michael Boehmer worked on it years ago.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060509092954/http://www.fadbox.de/computercity/AHT/davinci.htm
(unfortunately web archive has not stored the images, the prototype shown provided 3 or 4 PCI slots)

It was supposed to have real DMA. With his experience with Deneb&Zorram I bet Michael could create a kick-ass solution with real DMA and a nice flashrom to store drivers (SATA, IDE, USB2, RTG, extra ram...).

If ZorroII was supported I guess old Elbox hacks like memory window and rtg ram dma buffer could be useful. Michael was unsure about supporting ZorroII but dreaming is free :-)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;660448
It looks like there's enough demand for another run, but I think the issue is one of parts availability.
Well if you think that Deneb was out @ 2008 and it took 3 years for the stock to end... then what is the demand that could cover another run?

Don't get me wrong... I really wish that stuff like Budha's, Deneb, Indy's etc would produce forever, but I don't think that hardware producers out there are willing to invest for 20-30 pieces of hardware.
That's why Jens said that IF he decides to run another limited run of Indivision's for A4000D/CD32 it would only be based on pre-orders.

3 years was not a small timeframe (I got a Deneb for my A4000D that I sold, then bought another A4000 after 2 years and also got the chance to get one more Deneb).
Only pitty is for newly back-to-Amiga-scene members that don't have the chance for this magnificent hardware but eBay and outrageous prices. Old members should have grabbed  a Deneb all this time that they had the chance. Chris also announced it almost a year ago!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:26:44 PM by mfilos »
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
Seems easy to make something similar to the Deneb PCB (warning big image!). It's a Xilinx XC2S50 speedgrade 5C. In essence the simplest the FPGA Xilinx has, it may even be out of manufacturing.
The large chip at the top-right is unreadable. But it's likely an USB interface chip. The smaller chip to the left-middle is however a question.

In essence DENEB seems to be a simple FPGA, USB interface and support circuitry like boot-EEPROM and power. So it's not that hard to make a replacement. Driver compatibility may be an issue though.

Creating a cable to upgrade the on-board EEPROM should be that hard either.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 08:43:25 PM »
cooperation between chris and miachel has come to an end, so the chance for another usb board from e3b is minimal if not null.