Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm BACK and working on the old A4000T  (Read 1314 times)

Description:

Offline J-GoldenTopic starter

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
I'm BACK and working on the old A4000T
« on: September 19, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »
So long dusty, sandy and HOT iraq!

Ahhhh, it is SO nice to be back home!  Landed i good old idaho on Thursday night and am trying to get everything up and running!

Update all Computers PC, Mac, Linux box):  CHECK!

Play some long missed games:  CHECK!

Install CPU card in A4000T:  CHECK!

Run full test on A4000T:  CHECK!

Everything seems to be working fine BUT the Floppy drive.  It's a Sony MPF520-1 and has the crappy (poorly re-pinned) floppy cable on it.  What it doesn't have, and not sure if it needs, is the adapter board that goes btween the cable nad the Floppy drive.

I've looked around to try to get some info on this butI have to admit, I'm rusty on which sites have what info.

I ge tno lights from it, Workbench pops up the "Unrecognizable disk" icon at boot and doesn't disapear with a disk inserted but I do think I hear it spin for a split second when I pop in a disk.  Any clues?
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Re: I'm BACK and working on the old A4000T
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »
Welcome back!

I know that my 4000T's with PC drives didn't have the adapter board and the drives worked.  I didn't think they needed them.

Those hacked-up cables are really fragile though.

I pretty quickly replaced them with Amiga HD drives so I didn't have to deal with them long term.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Offline mechy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:34:59 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;659983
So long dusty, sandy and HOT iraq!

Ahhhh, it is SO nice to be back home!  Landed i good old idaho on Thursday night and am trying to get everything up and running!

Update all Computers PC, Mac, Linux box):  CHECK!

Play some long missed games:  CHECK!

Install CPU card in A4000T:  CHECK!

Run full test on A4000T:  CHECK!

Everything seems to be working fine BUT the Floppy drive.  It's a Sony MPF520-1 and has the crappy (poorly re-pinned) floppy cable on it.  What it doesn't have, and not sure if it needs, is the adapter board that goes btween the cable nad the Floppy drive.

I've looked around to try to get some info on this butI have to admit, I'm rusty on which sites have what info.

I get no lights from it, Workbench pops up the "Unrecognizable disk" icon at boot and doesn't disapear with a disk inserted but I do think I hear it spin for a split second when I pop in a disk.  Any clues?

heiroglyph is right they didn't need a adapter board if you had the cobbled up cable lol.check the data cable over- its really a poorly done hack. hopefully the power cable hasn't been plugged in upside down and fried the drive itself.. If you have a regular straight cable(or use the straight section before the twist) A regular amiga drive will work.

Glad to hear you are back from the land of sand.

Mech

Offline T3000

• Show only replies by T3000
    • http://www.rcfreas.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:47:14 AM »
Ya didn't say how long it was stored/unused. Maybe the contacts in the disk size and write protect sensors oxidized a bit. Good luck and welcome back.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:01:19 AM »
You left?  :p
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.