Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 CF/IDE Adapter - can not format DH0/DH1 and other issues  (Read 3983 times)

Description:

Offline GilthanazTopic starter

• Show only replies by Gilthanaz
Hi All!

Well, I got the Amiga now :D And of course nothing is working as planned ;) The guy who sold me the CF-IDE Adapter put in a 16GB CF that is not recognized at all. But the 2GB CF is recognized.

Unfortunately my (original) Workbench Install Disk is dead. But I thought I'll just see to get the CF "HDD" running anyway until I have a replacement :) So I loaded up workbench and want to format DH0 (200MB) and DH1 (1800MB).

I get to the point where the system asks me about three times if I'am sure that I want to format DH0 (DH0 and DH1 show up in the list of drives that can be formatted), but after the last check it tells me "No Disk in Drive".

Uh ...

Maybe someone can help me out with this :)

KR,
Gil

Offline LaserBack

• Show only replies by LaserBack
Re: A1200 CF/IDE Adapter - can not format DH0/DH1 and other issues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
Quote from: Gilthanaz;652232
Hi All!

Well, I got the Amiga now :D And of course nothing is working as planned ;) The guy who sold me the CF-IDE Adapter put in a 16GB CF that is not recognized at all. But the 2GB CF is recognized.

Unfortunately my (original) Workbench Install Disk is dead. But I thought I'll just see to get the CF "HDD" running anyway until I have a replacement :) So I loaded up workbench and want to format DH0 (200MB) and DH1 (1800MB).

I get to the point where the system asks me about three times if I'am sure that I want to format DH0 (DH0 and DH1 show up in the list of drives that can be formatted), but after the last check it tells me "No Disk in Drive".

Uh ...

Maybe someone can help me out with this :)

KR,
Gil

some cf ide adapters are not fully compatible with the amiga ide...try another one....or buy a hardisk which will works for sure

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »
Download an adf version of the workbench version that you have and then use WinUae to set up the cf card.

Once you have it how you want it transfer it back to the Amiga.

I'm not sure but the 16gb problem might be due to drives bigger than 4gb having a problem until you upgrade to Workbench 3.1. Try setting that one up in uae too

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:15:24 AM »
Quote from: foleyjo;652236
Download an adf version of the workbench version that you have and then use WinUae to set up the cf card. Once you have it how you want it transfer it back to the Amiga.

Thank you, that helped me a lot! I've also acquired a 4GB CF Card and a CF Card reader for my PC now (That was a hassle... half of them does not work correctly).

After that, I used WinUAE and added the CF Card of the PC System as RAW device. That way, the emulated A1200 was able to see it, partition it and install OS 3.1 from Workbench Images (as my original 'Install' Disk is broken).

I've learned a lot and also ran into a lot of new problems:

I've set up 2 Partitions, each 2GB (DH0, DH1). However, the 4GB limit appears to be quite an issue, as after a while of installing Games and Tools DH1 became invalidated. I then found DiskSalv and installed it - it was able to rehash the whole drive and recover it. However, DH1 is not stable. So I've deleted the DH1 2GB partition and created a 1GB partition to stay at 3GB. Same problem, tho - after installing about 120MB worth of games, the drive gets invalidated.

Thats not the current primary issue, tho. The transfer of the CF Card to the real A1200 works without problems - it immediatly boots. But almost all Games I want to start crash the A1200 with an '8000 0004' illegal instruction software failure. On the emulator, they worked before. After putting the CF Card back into the emulator, they also crash there - it feels like some 'flag' was set that causes weird compatibility problems.

The only exception to this appear to be Dune 2 and The Settlers, both working on the emulated and real A1200.

So, I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction as of where that problem comes from and what the error sources could be. I might be able to figure out how to fix it, once I learn what actually causes the trouble :)

Also, I've learned a lot about WHDLoad and managed to get that installed. All WHDLoad Games crash with 8000 0004 on the real A1200 as well, mostly right after the title screen of whatever game I'am trying, while at least some of them work from the emulated A1200.

Hardware:
A1200 + some 030 board (I can't find manufacturer information on it)
2MB Chip + 4MB Ram from the 030 board
IDE-CF Adapter

Besides the DF0, DF1, DH0 and DH1, the system also shows a CC0 drive with 20KB of size, named 'Flashcard' - my guess would be that this is the actual adapter registering to the system.

If I can provide any more information that might help you to diagnose the problem, I'll happily do so :)

I've spent about 20 hours of raw time with the A1200 now without bothering people on the forums too much, as I think I learn most by discovering it the hard way and by research on the internet. However, now it's getting a bit depressing as I've over and over set up the CF Card using different methods, all leading to the same problem: Games crash, some on both real and emulated Amiga 1200, some only on the real Amiga :(

And I'am running out of hints :/

KR,
Gil

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 11:47:58 AM »
Have you fixed the max transfer rate to 0x1fe00 ?
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
Wha...? :)

Offline Lord Aga

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:03:04 PM »
Check the hdtoolbox, and change max transfer rate for all partitions.
You must hit "enter" after input, otherwise Amiga will not take notice :)

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »
Unfortunately I can not find this option in WB 3.1 HDToolbox :( Could it be that it is not available in AmigaOS 3.1?

- Gil

Edit:
Found it! Advanced Options in the partition dialogue... Now testing if that helps :) Thanks!

- Gil
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:28:40 PM by Gilthanaz »

Offline Lord Aga

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »
No no, it certainly is available. I have 3.1 also. But I can't get to my real Amiga right now, damn...

Franko, help ! Guide him through :)

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »
Found it!

Awesome - that fixed all known issues for the moment! Not only do the partitions not get invalidated anymore (resulting in 15 minutes of DiskSalv fixing the disk), but all installed games work now, and even all WHDload Games work now!

Incredible :D

I just wonder how any beginner should ever know the 0x1fe00 thing... that's not really something that I would have ever expected :)

Thanks again,
- Gil

Offline Lord Aga

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
Bitte schön :)

Actually it wasn't needed in the good old days of 2.5 ATA drives, so nobody knew that or meseed around with max transfer rates. Only now when we started creating hybrid monsters with newer technologies :)