Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PCMCIA A1200 myths  (Read 6172 times)

Description:

Offline LaserBackTopic starter

• Show only replies by LaserBack
PCMCIA A1200 myths
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »
hi

I have an A1200 with + TRA1200 turboboard 8mb ram and 020/28mhz
and I have tryed a 56k modem and a lan and both works fine and I can join internet
also I tried a pcmcia/cf flash adapter and worked fine transfering data

so

how this can be possible if I have the card with 8mb ram and professedly the turboboard is pcmcia uncompatible if more of 4mb ram is used?

also I do not need any patch or hack for the reset pcmcia problem that I heard...
all the pcmcia devices works fine after reboot

can anyone explain please? thanks

Offline Gilthanaz

• Show only replies by Gilthanaz
Re: PCMCIA A1200 myths
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:09:14 AM »
I consider this thread very interesting :) My Amiga 1200 (will unwrap it this evening) will have a 030 turbocard, also with 8MB RAM. I'll be using a PCMCIA ADF Transfer Kit, so I'am looking forward to face that issue...

However, as I've learned here in the last days, the trick might be that some expansion boards use different methods to address extra RAM and thus, do not intervene as much with the maximum address range.

Awaiting a better explaination from a hardware guru :D

- Gil

Offline AmiDude

• Show only replies by AmiDude
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:26:40 AM »
I also have had an TRA1200 board with 8MB RAM and it was also PCMCIA friendly.
It could do everything with the PCMCIA port. However... this was only the case
with the following combination:

Kickstart ROMs 3.0 + WorkBench 3.1 -> PCMCIA WORKING!
Kickstart ROMs 3.1 + WorkBench 3.1 -> PCMCIA NOT WORKING (only with 4MB SIMM).

So I'm curious what ROMs you're using?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:51:36 AM by AmiDude »

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
Does the PCMCIA card work when you cold boot? I know it doesn't on any of mine - I need to reinsert it after the machine has booted. This is a known issue with the design of the A1200 motherboard (something to do with the card reset line being inverted or something) and can be overcome with a hardware fix, or worked around with a software fix.

The 8MB thing comes into play when an accelerator does not remap the 8MB of memory out of the Zorro-II window. As the A1200 accelerator bus only carries the first 24 bits of the address bus, the accelerator slot can only support 8MB of RAM. The more basic accelerator boards simply use this bus and so are also limited to 8MB RAM. The problem comes from the PCMCIA slot being mapped at an address 4MB into this 8MB window, so effectively it conflicts with the upper 8MB on the accelerator. So, software trying to write to the PCMCIA card will also be trying to write to the RAM above 4MB, and that's never going to end well, but you might just be lucky enough not to be using the memory at 0x0060 0000 for anything critical, and so your machine doesn't crash. It is really odd though that it works at all - you sure you don't have that accelerator jumpered to 4MB?

More advanced accelerator boards get around this by using their own 32-bit addressing, and so therefore can map the RAM to a nice safe address above the 24-bit limit. This also has the effect of allowing more than 8MB.

Anyway, neither of those issues are myths, they are hard facts which can be seen from the A1200 schematics. It's possible you're just very lucky and your hardware doesn't need the PCMCIA reset signal, and some odd configuration thing lets the accelerator and PCMCIA play nicely...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:24:41 AM by Daedalus »
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
Quote from: AmiDude;652084
I also have had an TRA1200 board with 8MB RAM and it was also PCMCIA friendly.
It could do everything with the PCMCIA port. However... this was only the case
with the following combination:

Kickstart ROMs 3.0 + WorkBench 3.1 -. PCMCIA WORKING!
Kickstart ROMs 3.1 + WorkBench 3.1 -. PCMCIA NOT WORKING (only with 4MB SIMM).

So I'm curious what ROMs you're using?

I'm using roms 3.0
however if softkick to kick3.1 using skick pcmcia do not works anymore
so I calculate there is some kind of strange issue on kickstart 3.1
also for games it is better and compatible stay  with kick 3.0
some floppy game like GODS do not work with kick 3.1 but works fine with kick 3.0

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »
Quote from: Daedalus;652085
Does the PCMCIA card work when you cold boot? I know it doesn't on any of mine - I need to reinsert it after the machine has booted. This is a known issue with the design of the A1200 motherboard (something to do with the card reset line being inverted or something) and can be overcome with a hardware fix, or worked around with a software fix.

The 8MB thing comes into play when an accelerator does not remap the 8MB of memory out of the Zorro-II window. As the A1200 accelerator bus only carries the first 24 bits of the address bus, the accelerator slot can only support 8MB of RAM. The more basic accelerator boards simply use this bus and so are also limited to 8MB RAM. The problem comes from the PCMCIA slot being mapped at an address 4MB into this 8MB window, so effectively it conflicts with the upper 8MB on the accelerator. So, software trying to write to the PCMCIA card will also be trying to write to the RAM above 4MB, and that's never going to end well, but you might just be lucky enough not to be using the memory at 0x0060 0000 for anything critical, and so your machine doesn't crash. It is really odd though that it works at all - you sure you don't have that accelerator jumpered to 4MB?

More advanced accelerator boards get around this by using their own 32-bit addressing, and so therefore can map the RAM to a nice safe address above the 24-bit limit. This also has the effect of allowing more than 8MB.

Anyway, neither of those issues are myths, they are hard facts which can be seen from the A1200 schematics. It's possible you're just very lucky and your hardware doesn't need the PCMCIA reset signal, and some odd configuration thing lets the accelerator and PCMCIA play nicely...

I'm using 8mb the board is jumpered to use 8mb ....I can jump it to use 4mb and works also
btw,
I don't know what is cold reboot...if you can explain
I reboot the computer using the amigakeys and the pcmcia cards are still working ...so maybe the reset bug apply to certain pcmcia devices and other pcmcia devices are not affected
all of this is rare

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »
Cold/Hard reboot/reset = turning the power off and back on again.

Warm/Soft reboot/reset = using the Amiga Keys to restart the Amiga.

As was earlier posted, you can tell if you have the hardware fix already done if:
1) you leave the PCMICA card in the slot
2) do a cold start on the Amiga
3) The card works!

If it doesn't work, you don't have the fix.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;652096
Cold/Hard reboot/reset = turning the power off and back on again.

Warm/Soft reboot/reset = using the Amiga Keys to restart the Amiga.

As was earlier posted, you can tell if you have the hardware fix already done if:
1) you leave the PCMICA card in the slot
2) do a cold start on the Amiga
3) The card works!

If it doesn't work, you don't have the fix.

ok I have tested the 56k modem and the cf flash adapter with a cold reset...both cards works fine...no need to remove and insert again
I haven't tested the lan cause I haven't it right now...but I'm sure will work without any fix or patch

btw, my A1200 is original never was fixed or dismounted from the case....the blind armor is still there and never was removed for anything...I only disarmed the computer to connect the hardisk or to clean the floppy drive
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:02:35 PM by LaserBack »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 04:06:26 PM »
It depends on the card. Some (most?) cards will let your PCMCIA work just fine.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »
Quote from: runequester;652118
It depends on the card. Some (most?) cards will let your PCMCIA work just fine.

This hits it. I used an A1200 for years with a DKB '030 card, with at least 32Mb of RAM (up to 128Mb), and a Squirrel SCSI or LAn card in the PCMCIA slot. I used 3.1 ROMs with 3.1 or 3.5OS. Everything worked fine.
It all depends on the card, AND where the RAM is mapped. AFAIR the 4Mb problem was only with early cards....
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline psxphill

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »
Quote from: LaserBack;652079
how this can be possible if I have the card with 8mb ram and professedly the turboboard is pcmcia uncompatible if more of 4mb ram is used?

Only PCMCIA RAM cards should cause a conflict as PCMCIA IO cards are mapped to a different area of memory outside the 8mb allocated to fast ram.

000000 to 1FFFFF 2 MB Chip RAM(or system ROM overlay)
200000 to 5FFFFF 4 MB Zorro II expansion space
600000 to 9FFFFF 4 MB Credit Card memory if CC present
AOOOOO to A1FFFF 128 KB Credit Card Attributes
A20000 to A3FFFF 128 KB Credit Card I/O
A40000 to A5FFFF 128 KB Credit Card Bits (similar to CDTV)
A60000 to A7FFFF 128 KB PC I/O

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 07:47:32 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;652123
Only PCMCIA RAM cards should cause a conflict as PCMCIA IO cards are mapped to a different area of memory outside the 8mb allocated to fast ram.

000000 to 1FFFFF 2 MB Chip RAM(or system ROM overlay)
200000 to 5FFFFF 4 MB Zorro II expansion space
600000 to 9FFFFF 4 MB Credit Card memory if CC present
AOOOOO to A1FFFF 128 KB Credit Card Attributes
A20000 to A3FFFF 128 KB Credit Card I/O
A40000 to A5FFFF 128 KB Credit Card Bits (similar to CDTV)
A60000 to A7FFFF 128 KB PC I/O

As said above, it is possible to have more than 4MB fastram together with PCMCIA cards however it won't be in one continuos adress space, don't know exactly what that limitiation will do, anyone?

Here's an even funnier peice of kit in my collection... it support 9MB and PCMCIA compability: http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/alfaram1200

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »
Almost all CPU/RAM cards address their memory totally compatible with PCMCIA, but there are a few 030's that don't.  Probably any 020/RAM card would conflict..
It is interesting that it seems that "conflicting" setups don't seem to conflict if your ROM is 3.0.

So, if you're going to be running Workbench 3.1 would you actually want a 3.1 ROM?
I've heard "fixes," and "you need it for 3.5 and on"..
But is it worth it?

I have a ACA1230/28 now, so it wouldn't matter to me..  But still..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline ncafferkey

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 10:56:33 PM »
The need for the PCMCIA reset fix depends on the PCMCIA card. For example, most 3Com ethernet cards don't need the fix in normal circumstances, but the fix may be needed when rebooting after a crash (because the card wasn't shut down).

@Daedalus

Why don't you use the software fix to avoid wear and tear on your PCMCIA slot? :-)

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Quote from: ncafferkey;652168

@Daedalus

Why don't you use the software fix to avoid wear and tear on your PCMCIA slot? :-)

I do :) I guess I should've used the past tense in that post...

Interesting stuff there though - I've never had an accelerator that wasn't PCMCIA compatible so I've never personally encountered the issue, but I know of plenty who have had them. It doesn't really come down to the CPU on the accelerator, but the basic design of the board. I have an 020/28 which maps the memory in Zorro III space, yet plenty of the cheaper 030 boards don't, and are therefore susceptible to this issue. I was pretty sure though that PCMCIA cards like the Squirrel SCSI card used the memory space for doing its I/O and therefore wasn't compatible with the 8MB boards... Must go back and look at that.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com