Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A500 dial up?  (Read 1451 times)

Description:

Offline gunniTopic starter

• Show only replies by gunni
A500 dial up?
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »
came across an old external modem I used with an old linux box of mine.
I fancy having a bash at hooking it up with my trusty A500 but I'm not  sure what programs are best for the job or how to set them up!
I've so far downloaded a few bits and bobs and started the serial  transfer over to my hd+ but I figured I better stop and ask for advice  before I fill my hard drive with unneeded files.
My A500 has kick 2.05 and a gvp hd+ hard disc (with wb 2 installed)
Advice will be gratefully received!!!

Offline shaf

• Show only replies by shaf
Re: A500 dial up?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
Terminus ( Followup to JRCOMM)  was my Terminal Program of Choice. Easy to uswe and very configurable.

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:55 PM »
Hello!
In the mid '90s, until I got an Amiga 4000 later on, I used to connect to the Internet with my A500+ with an Oktagon 508 SCSI controller and memory expansion.
I had, beside 2MB Chip RAM, 2MB Fast RAM: pretty much sufficient at those times (the worst thing was the lack of decent number of colors for iBrowse).

I used AmiTCP (from Aminet - the "previous version" of Genesis, on 3.9), a program for dial up modem (don't remember the name - try search on Aminet "dial up"), and the classic clients for WWW, e-mail, etc.
Bear in mind you have to cope with scripts to configure AmiTCP and the dial up program properly.
Later I used Miami (shareware version always from Aminet), but that depends on your system resources, particulary Fast RAM (I think having 2MB at least for a minimum decent way to connect).

BY!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:10:48 PM by ognix »

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »
iirc, I also used Terminus.
just don't try to go above 38400, even with baudbandit and similar.
Better sorry than worry.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »
thanks for the response guys :)
This is the modem I've got:
http://www.technodirect.net/Items/3049C-U?&caSKU=3049C-U&caTitle=Zoom%203049C%20Series%200269%20V.92%20External%20Modem

have downloaded miami and amitcp, just having a search now for terminus.
I've been using amiga explorer to drag and drop various files across from my laptop which works reasonably well apart from the random "could not read com port" errors which seem to pop up now and then. is there a better way of doing this?
thanks
Gunni

Offline mechy

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »
Quote from: gunni;648434
came across an old external modem I used with an old linux box of mine.
I fancy having a bash at hooking it up with my trusty A500 but I'm not  sure what programs are best for the job or how to set them up!
I've so far downloaded a few bits and bobs and started the serial  transfer over to my hd+ but I figured I better stop and ask for advice  before I fill my hard drive with unneeded files.
My A500 has kick 2.05 and a gvp hd+ hard disc (with wb 2 installed)
Advice will be gratefully received!!!

I made up a bootable floppy that runs on a stock A500 with 2.x roms and 1MB ram,it loads up termite tcp and allows you to dialin to a isp for a ppp connection and has grapevine irc client on it. It will get a low spec 500 online via dialup with only a floppy drive.Let me know if you want it,i can send a dms of it.

mech

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
Quote from: mechy;648463
I made up a bootable floppy that runs on a stock A500 with 2.x roms and 1MB ram,it loads up termite tcp and allows you to dialin to a isp for a ppp connection and has grapevine irc client on it. It will get a low spec 500 online via dialup with only a floppy drive.Let me know if you want it,i can send a dms of it.

mech

nice one! yes please! :)

edit: got this far with miami after several no carrier messages, but no connection - yet!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:56:57 PM by gunni »