Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SCSI CD-ROM speed questions  (Read 807 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
SCSI CD-ROM speed questions
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:54:08 PM »
Wondering who all here uses a SCSI CD-drive in their big box Amiga's. I've used them for years with excellent results on the hardware side. Different brands, writers or dedicated readers, whatever.

I did recently have one fail on me though and decided to replace it with an old 4x speed Apple branded one which got me to thinking... not about the Apple brand (which is probably Mitsumi or Panasonic? I forget) which I've really never had a problem with, but am wondering about its speed.

I know there are plenty of variables here such as DMA and RAM, controller cards, revisions of chips on SCSI cards, etc. but in real world terms... what kind of luck have you guys and gals had with drives faster than say, 8x or 10x? You feel they last as long or are reliable data transfer wise? Is there a point where a certain speed drive either becomes irrelevant performance wise or a detriment to itself? And what I mean by that is, can/does the Amiga "choke" after a certain speed?  

Mainly thinking about GVP and the A2091 controller here. One of my A2000's has a 50mhz 030 in it and the other has a 28mhz SupraTurbo accelerator (damn nice piece of kit if you ask me). I kind of played it cheap and conservative going with the 4x drive, was only $15 shipped, but am wondering just how fast I could have theoretically and reliably gone...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:07:05 AM by save2600 »

Offline shaf

• Show only replies by shaf
Re: SCSI CD-ROM speed questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:53:08 AM »
I use a Plextor in My A4000 w 2091 SCSI and GuruROM. I used to use a Comspec SA2000 Controller but switched to get something that was more compatible.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:22:55 AM »
You can see what your SCSI adapter is capable of with a (somewhat) fast harddisk.  Usually CD/DVD drives are a bit slower at max. (Tried a Pioneer 8x DVD on an A3000.)
Don't worry, your machine will never 'choke'. ;)

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:56:21 AM »
I have been using SCSI cd-rom/cdrw drives for years on my 1200, 2000 and 3000. Once set up correctly, they all have been working great. Even on-the-fly copying (cd->cdrw) using MakeCD works without a hickup. Very reliable.

I don't use my cd-rom drives often, though.
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200