Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Q] SCSI disk alternatives?  (Read 1816 times)

Description:

Offline mousehouseTopic starter

[Q] SCSI disk alternatives?
« on: June 04, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
Currently I have in my A4000D a 2.1GB Ultra SCSI disk connected to the USCSI controller on my WarpEngine CPU card. This actually is a very nice setup IMHO and works great and reasonably fast (just a feeling, not tested).

The SCSI drive provides a very nostalgic feeling when using the Amiga, but extended use is irritating because of the constant noise created by the drive. How did I stand to sit behind the Amiga so many hours at a stretch?

I'm looking for a smart and less noisy alternative, while still using the SCSI controller on the WE (because it gives me this speedy feeling ;-)).

Currently I looked at:

- Compactflash on the IDE port, tried this but is quite slow IMHO (again, untested). Must be the A4000 IDE port which sucks.

- USCSI to SATA bridge from ACARD, at about $200 a ridiculous option.

- SCSI to SAS adapters? I have a number of small and silent SAS drives, but no way to connect them to my miggie.

- 2.5 inch SCSI drives by Seagate, such as the ST936701LC.

Anybody have any experience with the above?
A3000T

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
Re: [Q] SCSI disk alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 04:04:29 PM »
Mechy here sells a card reader that is SCSI and would allow CF installation.

Offline mousehouseTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 04:19:23 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;642417
Mechy here sells a card reader that is SCSI and would allow CF installation.

That doesn't sound bad... didn't know these existed...

edit:

I just ordered a 73GB 2.5 inch SCA SCSI disk on Ebay for ~ €17, see: http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230619718349&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_878wt_1141

I have a SCA-50pSCSI adapter here and will try out if this makes a big dfference with the good'ol 2GB noise-blaster...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:07:00 PM by mousehouse »
A3000T

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »
There are some SCSI drive that are pretty quiet (depending on your POV of course). Early GB drives, esp. 1,6" thick ones 1, 4 or 18 GB were a major pain.
What size would you be looking for? I can check what we've still got, e.g. 18 GB drives. AFAIR the multimedia drives (Seagate ...LCV) I had in use were very quiet for 7.2k drives.