Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WPA now supported by prism2.device  (Read 8652 times)

Description:

Offline ncafferkeyTopic starter

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
WPA now supported by prism2.device
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
A new commercial version of the prism2.device wireless network driver is now available that supports WPA (TKIP) and WPA2 (CCMP/AES) encryption. However, please note that not all cards support all encryption modes.

A rule of thumb is that PCMCIA cards with white edge connectors support hardware WPA (TKIP) encryption, but not WPA2 (CCMP/AES). Cards with black edge connectors support WPA 1 and 2 when reflashed with new firmware in a PC (but encryption is done in software, so you'll need a fast Amiga to get reasonable speeds). PCI cards used with OS4 also need a firmware upgrade.

The new driver is available for EUR 15 per card for 68k and OS4. Please send inquiries and PayPal payment to caffer@cs.ucc.ie.

Offline Templario

Re: WPA now supported by prism2.device
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »
Well, good job, but where and which cards work with this driver? and where buy these cards? I have one Sam with OS 4.1 Update 2, I need one PCI risecard and this PCI card, where I can buy both?
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:03:55 PM »
Awesome news!

Where do we look for said firmware updates, and how do we know we're looking at the right one? Is this a vendor-specific thing for each card model, or a generic prism2 thing that will work on all cards?

If I license a driver for a card, does that license follow the card from one Amiga to another? If I think I'll swap back and forth classic+PCI to AmigaOne do I need both a 68K license and an OS4 license for the same card? (I don't suppose many will do this, but if someone is just experimenting with various machines or upgrades from classic to new OS4 motherbaord someday) It's not expensive so I don't think it'd be a problem to rebuy the license for another CPU/OS version.

Is this becoming a wider wireless API that others can port drivers for other chipsets to, or is this a monolithic prism2 driver?
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:22:26 PM »
Quote from: billt;640481

Where do we look for said firmware updates, and how do we know we're looking at the right one? Is this a vendor-specific thing for each card model, or a generic prism2 thing that will work on all cards?

It's generic. Everything you need to know is here: http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/
I recommend using the 1.7.4 firmware. There are a few variants of this for different chip revisions, but it's easy to identify the right ones with the Windows tool.

If I license a driver for a card, does that license follow the card from one Amiga to another?

Yes, I'm happy to provide both 68k and OS4 versions for the same card without any extra fee, but if you have two cards you'll need two licences.

Is this becoming a wider wireless API that others can port drivers for other chipsets to, or is this a monolithic prism2 driver?

The former. It uses a port of wpa_supplicant, which is also used by the AROS Atheros wireless driver.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:04:41 AM »
Any more news on supporting MorphOS2.x, or have you tested the 68k version with MorphOS2.x?  It would be great if there were support for the original Airport cards used in most G4 PowerMacs & G4 eMacs (which you told me were Prism2 devices), or if you could figure out how to support the later Airport Extreme cards used in the last model of the G4 PowerMac (the Dual 1.42GHz G4 MDD w/FW800 port model) and the last G4 PowerBook models.  Since the Airport Extreme cards are not Prism2 compatible, I don't really expect to see support for them.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:07:22 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 12:06:59 AM »
This is great news! one of the things stopping me from using my a1200 with a wifi card was the WEP encryption as it would compromise my whole network.. but with us exchange rate 15 euro is not cheap.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:27 AM »
Ah, great news. The possibility of incompatibility is a bit worrisome, though. Any chance of a demo version, either time-limited, or perhaps speed-capped? If not, perhaps an Amiga-tized walkthrough to upgrading the firmware?

The traditional prism2.device could use a firmware file from Devs:Firmwares/ - is that still possible with the WPA version? Less chance of major screwups that way :)

Offline mihcael

• Show only replies by mihcael
    • http://brutalamiga.mikendezign.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 07:42:14 AM »
Does this card (EASYNET PCMCIA WIRELESS CARD (A1200/A600)) support the new prism2.device?

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 07:53:04 AM »
Do you have some more details about the speed? Will a 030/50 be sufficient to handle the encryption? And do you have a list of cards you already tested?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:55:19 AM by Colani1200 »

Offline pVC

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »
Quote from: ncafferkey;640436
A rule of thumb is that PCMCIA cards with white edge connectors support hardware WPA (TKIP) encryption, but not WPA2 (CCMP/AES). Cards with black edge connectors support WPA 1 and 2 when reflashed with new firmware in a PC (but encryption is done in software, so you'll need a fast Amiga to get reasonable speeds).

Do I read correctly, that cards with white edge don't need to be reflashed (for WPA1)?

And demo version or some sort of test program would be nice.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:57:42 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;640504

The traditional prism2.device could use a firmware file from Devs:Firmwares/ - is that still possible with the WPA version? Less chance of major screwups that way :)

I remember that you have a Hermes II card: this doesn't need a firmware reflash (I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a white connector).

@Colani1200

With an 030, only Hermes cards (white connector) should be used: I get around 150 to 250 kBytes/s on a 40Mhz 030. Prism II (black connector) cards give less than 100 kBytes/s on the same machine.

On an 060, I get around 200 to 450 kBytes/s with a Prism II card.

@mihcael

The card pictured appears to be a Prism II model, which needs a firmware upgrade.

@amigadave

Sorry, no news yet.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
Quote from: pVC;640555
Do I read correctly, that cards with white edge don't need to be reflashed (for WPA1)?

Correct.

And demo version or some sort of test program would be nice.

I'll think about it. But if a card works with the old driver (available on Aminet), it should work with the new driver too.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 06:29:26 PM »
Quote from: ncafferkey;640436
A new commercial version of the prism2.device wireless network driver is now available that supports WPA (TKIP) and WPA2 (CCMP/AES) encryption. However, please note that not all cards support all encryption modes.

A rule of thumb is that PCMCIA cards with white edge connectors support hardware WPA (TKIP) encryption, but not WPA2 (CCMP/AES). Cards with black edge connectors support WPA 1 and 2 when reflashed with new firmware in a PC (but encryption is done in software, so you'll need a fast Amiga to get reasonable speeds). PCI cards used with OS4 also need a firmware upgrade.

The new driver is available for EUR 15 per card for 68k and OS4. Please send inquiries and PayPal payment to caffer@cs.ucc.ie.

OS4, ah cool.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline MickJT

• Show only replies by MickJT
    • http://members.iinet.net.au/~trebs/AmiMSN
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 09:24:07 AM »
Upgraded, and awaiting email response!

Offline MickJT

• Show only replies by MickJT
    • http://members.iinet.net.au/~trebs/AmiMSN
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 09:24:34 AM »
Well it works, with some minor issues. (Check amigaworld.net news thread).