Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My New Hardware for use with OctaMED S.S.  (Read 13673 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
My New Hardware for use with OctaMED S.S.
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »
Behold, the MicroKorg!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOyiDAJiDpE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adVu639pjN4

And a video for the more traditional musician. ;P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp3mQPxw428

Needless to say, I'm in love, and this has a lot to do with why I've not so much as touched a girl in nearly four years. Sighhh...
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
Re: My New Hardware for use with OctaMED S.S.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »
Alright, I think I should start taking photos and recording videos of my set up.

Mind you, I am by no means a musician, and I am still trying to develop my "style", so half of what I'm doing ends up sounding like techno at the moment, but I'm working on over coming that mountain. ;)

As you may have guessed, I'm not a huge fan of techno, it's fun for a while, but I want to move on...

So what I've got hooked up to the A600 is the MicroKorg, an Atari 2600, and a Commodore 64. Currently I am only using the C64 for the samples as my Micromys mouse adaptor does not seem to like it at all, thus I can not take advantage of Mssiah's more advanced features unless I want to do it all via joystick. (bah!).

I'm be interested in seeing other's photos and videos of their Amiga MIDI set up, and perhaps to trade ideas on things they have done and can be done. Hopefully I'll get around to clearing of my DVD-R's and will record some videos of my set up in action...

...and on that note, hopefully the my old crappy mixer board will not screw up during the recordings.

Speaking of which, how does one go about fixing bad contacts on a mixer board anyhow? I thought wD40 was the way to go, but it only partially resolved my issues.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
I am totally emailing one of my music friends with this btw :)

Offline x303

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
I know what you mean. Tha microkorg is great. :D Hope you like it as well, as i do.

Check out this guy, as he's pretty good with the microkorg: http://www.youtube.com/user/VIPKYD
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:31:22 AM by x303 »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
I just got it a couple days ago, and I must admit, to a non-musician, the manual is very confusing, though there are plenty of guides on Youtube that have got me pulling off more tricks with this than I expected to be doing already.

Bottom line, I DO NOT resent forking out the $200 for this that I spent in the least bit!

Sadly it did not come with the mic. Any good suggestions for a quality replacement?

Offline x303

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:11:34 AM »
Yeah, but the one i pointed you at is pretty helpfull as it shows you exactly what to do, not just playing around.

You can put a normal mic (like my samson r21s) in audio line 1 [dynamic], just tested ;)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 01:23:21 AM »
Yes, thank you for the link, very helpful!

As for the mic, I used one I have at home, it was not very loud which is why I want a replacement, but what I did was plug it into the line 1 port, then I ran some Bethoven into Line 2. I then set it up so that line 2 would only come through when Line 1 was in use, thus changing the "pitch?" of the Bethoven coming in through line 2. After playing with the knobs a bit I was able to create some really ethereal effects! I'm in love!!!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 05:59:59 AM »
Post some pictures of your setup :)

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »
Xdelusion

Awesome post. That mini korg looks cool. However, not much octave range? What do you do hit a switch and get all the other keys?    Right now i have my a1200 with Octamed 5 a Pyramid Midi box attached to the serial port and a Boss Dr 202 "dr groove" drum machine.  i'm planning on adding a keyboard at some point as wel.. still learning octamed.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;633436
I just got it a couple days ago, and I must admit, to a non-musician, the manual is very confusing, though there are plenty of guides on Youtube that have got me pulling off more tricks with this than I expected to be doing already.

Bottom line, I DO NOT resent forking out the $200 for this that I spent in the least bit!

Sadly it did not come with the mic. Any good suggestions for a quality replacement?

I have the same MicroKorg sitting here and I love it. I've only used it for the vocoder so far. Don't use the original mic that came with it. It sucks!. Use a real microphone. I have a SM-58 running through preamp hooked to it and it sounds great.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
Runequester: Soon, I forgot to bring them with me today. :)

Magnetic: I really don't have anything else to compare it's octave range with, but I can say that it does have one at least, though certainly not as deep as OctaMED's. :)

None the less, if you want to spend $200 or less on a nice synth, this is the way to go.

Magnetic: At first I was cringing a wee bit because it was not analog, but now that I've seen what can be done with it, I'm not regretting it a bit.

spihunter: I'm new to a lot of this, midi, electronic devices, and so forth. It has been a collection I've slowly been buiding up, and slowly learning at the same time (amongst other hobbies), so I am greatful for any advise any one can give, such as your advice on the mic...

...on that note, what exactly is the difference between an amp and a pre-amp? I presume this is something that will boost the mic's output audio? If so does it cause any problems with over loading the MicroKORG and causing the light to turn red?

Offline x303

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 08:17:17 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;633483
Xdelusion

Awesome post. That mini korg looks cool. However, not much octave range?

Well, it should have a range from C0 - C9.

What do you do hit a switch and get all the other keys?

Just press 'Octave shift' up or down.

i'm planning on adding a keyboard at some point as wel.. still learning octamed.

The korg can also act like a masterkeyboard.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;633550
Runequester: Soon, I forgot to bring them with me today. :)

Magnetic: I really don't have anything else to compare it's octave range with, but I can say that it does have one at least, though certainly not as deep as OctaMED's. :)

None the less, if you want to spend $200 or less on a nice synth, this is the way to go.

Magnetic: At first I was cringing a wee bit because it was not analog, but now that I've seen what can be done with it, I'm not regretting it a bit.

spihunter: I'm new to a lot of this, midi, electronic devices, and so forth. It has been a collection I've slowly been buiding up, and slowly learning at the same time (amongst other hobbies), so I am greatful for any advise any one can give, such as your advice on the mic...

...on that note, what exactly is the difference between an amp and a pre-amp? I presume this is something that will boost the mic's output audio? If so does it cause any problems with over loading the MicroKORG and causing the light to turn red?

You use a pre-amp when you have a mic that doesn't have battery power and your plugging into something that doesn't provide power. Some recording devices have "Phantom power" that provides power for standard mics.

Listen to the song "Battlestar Canada" in the link on my signature. I use the vocoder on my MicroKorg for most of the vocals.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:41:22 AM »
xdelusion

That comment about touching girls is awesome.. at least you have an excuse of being creative unlike Franko and the other fanboys :P

btw where did you get the korg for $200? I actually like the one with the black keys..

Also I thought this korg was designed to sound analogue? I read some reviews now I want one! Have you used it with octamed yet? Can you control samples with it?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:48:25 AM by magnetic »
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 01:48:22 AM »
Quote from: spihunter;633576
You use a pre-amp when you have a mic that doesn't have battery power and your plugging into something that doesn't provide power.
Some recording devices have "Phantom power" that provides power for standard mics.

You have these a bit mixed up:

Phantom power is a power source for condenser Mics, they require power as part of their design though some have batteries as well.
Dynamic Mics do not require any power.
Note: Only use phantom power on things that need it, otherwise you could end up frying things!

Pre-amps are for everything.  It's the first thing a signal goes through when it goes into a mixer.  You use them to increase the level on Mics (all types), guitars and anything else (even synths if they need it).

All Mics will need to go through a pre-amp whether it has phantom power or not.

--

I'm learning a lot of this stuff at the moment as well but there's a lot of help out there.
Youtube has loads of stuff.

There's a free book here on setting up a studio:
http://www.recordingreview.com/killerhomerecording/KHR_SettingUp.php

ProAudioDVDs.com have a weekly free video.
They also have a DVD set called "Ultimate Home Recording School". Bit expensive but very good, covers a lot of the basic knowledge you'll need.