Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An Open Letter to Dave Haynie  (Read 12650 times)

Description:

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
An Open Letter to Dave Haynie
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
Hello Dave,

You have more than once claimed that the MorphOS Team has stolen AmigaOS source code. The latest incident happened on amigaworld.net: "We didn't steal a single line of code from AmigaOS… The MorphOS people did not not-do any of those things."

I'd like you to put up and present your evidence to the public. If this is not possible please send such evidence to my email address at sintonen@iki.fi for my review, and acknowledge sending it in public.

Alternatively you can of course retract your claims. An apology wouldn't hurt either.

Best Regards,
Harry Sintonen
Member of the MorphOS Team

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
Re: An Open Letter to Dave Haynie
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:20:10 AM »
And the reason you are posting this bait here and not posting at the forum the comment was made is?

Offline number6

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;632669
And the reason you are posting this bait here and not posting at the forum the comment was made is?

...that Itix already did that.

source

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:37:08 AM by number6 »

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 12:44:41 AM »
Hmmm... odd thread... it's well know in Amigaland that everything has at one point in time been erm... borrowed shall we say... :)

(Why change the habit's of an Amiga Lifetime... :D)

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:50:09 AM »
Quote from: Piru;632662
Hello Dave,

You have more than once claimed that the MorphOS Team has stolen AmigaOS source code. The latest incident happened on amigaworld.net: "We didn't steal a single line of code from AmigaOS… The MorphOS people did not not-do any of those things."

I'd like you to put up and present your evidence to the public. If this is not possible please send such evidence to my email address at sintonen@iki.fi for my review, and acknowledge sending it in public.

Alternatively you can of course retract your claims. An apology wouldn't hurt either.

Best Regards,
Harry Sintonen
Member of the MorphOS Team

Harry,

Much as I respect you and your work on MorphOS, this kind of thing is just a waste of time.   Let's not piss off one of the few Amiga legends who still bothers to maintain an interest in Amiga developments.

Let's just delete this thread shall we?
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:32:34 AM »
Oh, ffs...

Offline HammerD

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 01:44:35 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;632675
Harry,

Much as I respect you and your work on MorphOS, this kind of thing is just a waste of time.   Let's not piss off one of the few Amiga legends who still bothers to maintain an interest in Amiga developments.

Let's just delete this thread shall we?

Well if anyone is making claims about something, the person, company, or group accused should be able to see the evidence against them.  I am speaking generally here.

The phrase in English is "Put up or Shut Up".

Personally I would like to think that these kinds of "wars" are behind us and that we are free to go our own ways and choose our own operating systems without accusation, trolling, or flaming.   In this case it was Mr. Haynie bringing up these old accusations.  Why it matters anymore is beyond me.  History is History and none of us can change it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:49:20 AM by HammerD »
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 02:11:56 AM »
Rumors abound in amiga land.

I agree that if your going to make serious accusations like that, you should present evidence.

I've heard this rumor myself many times, but then I've also heard that they used an awful lot of aros source code.

If they are using aros source code then closing their own source and charging for the resulting product, I find a bigger problem with that.

Of crouse, I don't have evidence of morphos taking either os3.x or aros source code to use in their os, this is just some of the things people have said over the years.

Steven

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:25:12 AM »
PIru

I agree with you. If Dave is making comments like this he should apologize. I think he's just echoing what alot of the us old skool amiga guys said years ago..
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 02:46:22 AM »
Oh shoot.   By the title, I thought this was going to be a plea for Dave to take the Amiga reins and lead us into a brighter and unfragmented future.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;632688
Rumors abound in amiga land.

I agree that if your going to make serious accusations like that, you should present evidence.

I've heard this rumor myself many times, but then I've also heard that they used an awful lot of aros source code.

If they are using aros source code then closing their own source and charging for the resulting product, I find a bigger problem with that.

Of crouse, I don't have evidence of morphos taking either os3.x or aros source code to use in their os, this is just some of the things people have said over the years.

Steven

http://www.morphos-team.net/team.html

Morphos has openly used AROS code and as far as I know has always been in compliance with any relevant licenses and has contributed bug fixes back to AROS.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 03:05:08 AM »
honestly Piru, I think the only thing this thread will do is cause viewers to buy flame proof clothes.
I'm sure you've heard the saying "opinions are like aholes...everyones got one"
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 03:26:53 AM »
It's a laughable claim and it's wrong for people to keep making it, no matter who they are.  This claim was first made by Ben Hermans a decade ago.  If there were any evidence you can be sure it would have surfaced by now.  The fact that it hasn't speaks volumes.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 05:27:38 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;632675
Harry,

Let's not piss someone.. its HIM who has the right to be pissed. Only god knows how much Piru has spent time on MorphOS, and the last thing he need is someone telling around he and his team have stolen code.

On a sidenote, seriously, just take a look at the memberlist of MorphOS-team.. does someone really think they even NEED to steal anything and not do it themselves?

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 05:33:46 AM »
I'm with Dave. It is not all too untrue claim. There is just not point in arguing it at this point.  Your Ego needs a tougher skin.