Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SCART RGB Lead problem  (Read 18047 times)

Description:

Offline tribzTopic starter

• Show only replies by tribz
SCART RGB Lead problem
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:31:32 AM »
Got my RGB scart lead today from Amigakit and was looking forward to some nice and clear screen Amiga goodness this morning. Unfortunately, I only get the below. It’s a bad picture I know but basically the screen is really black with lots of interference lines. Occasionally it drifts from being a terrible picture to just being a really bad picture.

I've tried the RGB and AV scart sockets on the LG telly. I'm pretty sure the monitor socket on the amiga's ok as when I bought it, it was demo'd to me connected to a multisync monitor and looked great.

Any ideas?

http://www.datacenta.it/Photo1.jpg

ETA http://www.datacenta.it/Photo2.jpg

Hooked it up to another LCD and get a washed out white picture with something just visible at the top. Think its either the cable or the connector but leaning towards the cable?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:43:29 AM by tribz »

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: SCART RGB Lead problem
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:13:58 AM »
From the pics it looks like your TV is not switching to RGB mode correctly with the signal coming from the Amiga. Sometimes on modern flatscreen TV's there is a menu system that lets you select which kind of signal the Scart sockets on it should expect (ie: Composote, S Video, RGB).... :)

It could also be that the voltage on the Blanking (Scart Pin 16) and AV Select (Scart Pin8 ) pins and could either be missing or not being interpreted correctly by  the TV... :(

The cable you bought should have have  a connection going to scart pin 16 and this needs > 1 to 3V applied to it for the Blanking Signal otherwise the TV will be trying to display a composite picture...

Pin 8 for the AV/Select should also have +12V on it, to display the Amigas picture correctly in 4:3 Apect ration if your TV is a widescreen version.

Do you have the Brand and Model number of the TV your using...

See here for pinouts Amiga to Scart

http://pinouts.ru/VideoCables/AmigaScart_pinout.shtml

I would think the Cable you bought from AmigaKit should be fully wired but you never know, if you can open the SCART hood and check to see if there are connections made to pins 16 & 8 as if there aren't the TV won't switch to RGB mode and you can end up up with a mixed signal like you seem to have... ;)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:31:53 AM »
Hiya Franko,

Thanks for that. I've got the hood open on each end. I dont know if this is relevant or not but I cant measure resistance on pin 8 whereas I can on pins 16 & 20.

I've been using this as a guide ...

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/amiga_hacks/Amiga_SCART/amiga_scart.html

I can measure the 75 and 330 ohms on pins 16 & 20 so that looks fine but like I say not the 1k on pin 8. I have to confess, I dont really know what that means and if thats good or bad!!

ETA the TV's are a 32" LG 32LG2100 and a 17" Vistron no name brand.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:43:02 AM by tribz »

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »
How to I measure the voltage on the pins on my meter?

I'm a little wary of shorting something that damages my amiga.

Offline Franko

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Pin 20 on the Scart end is used by the Amiga for the composite sync signal  (on the TV itself this is usually for composite video) and should be fine... :)

Pin 8 (Scart side)  I always just connect up directly to pin 22 on the Amiga (+12v)

Pin 16 (Scart side) again I always just connect up directly to pin 23 on the Amiga (+5v)

I have always made my own cables up and never had the need to put resistors inline on any of the connections and have never had any problems getting them to display a picture. The only time I came across this was with an Amiga I bought on eBay which came with an Amiga To SCART RGB cable it wouldn't switch my TV in the living room to RGB (resulting in pictures much like you posted), when I opened up the hoods and spotted the resistors I removed them and re-soldered the wires up directly and it worked fine after that... :)

It's up to yourself, but if there are resistors inline with pins 16 & 8 I would remove them and solder the wire up directly, in 25 years I've never damaged an Amiga or TV by not having these resistors in the cable... :)

PS: If your not too sure about using your meter to measure the voltage then I would advise against it as you could damage your Amiga if you do it wrong... :eek:

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »
Thanks Franko,

I've removed those resisters and now get a picture like below ...

http://www.datacenta.it/Photo3.jpg

The horizontal banding isnt really there, thats the camera.

So its a better picture but still some ghosting. Also, its a 4m cable, maybe some signal degredation due to length? I'm thinking I might redo the whole cable. Maybe not today though. The sun is shining and that doesnt happen often :)

Offline Franko

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 12:32:50 PM »
Looking at that pic I'd build me own cable (use good quality OFC shielded cable more expensive but worth it) as you shouldn't be getting that ghost image like that appearing... :)

I've made one before 12 metres long and still got a prefect picture, could still be something to do with the TV though, try and get me the Make and model no and I'll see what I can find out... :)

Online amigakit

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
Modifying a perfectly good cable based on hear-say in this forum is not a wise thing to do.

Every Scart cable from us has been made to modern LCD TV standards and is fully wired.  The cable has been assembled correctly and has been Quality Tested before despatch to customer.  We test on a wide range of models and use a widely used schematic.

Forums can be a good source of information sometimes but it is better to consult with your dealer before resorting to modifying the product and jumping to conclusions that there is a fault in the product.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:25:00 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Franko

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;630447
Modifying a perfectly good cable based on hear-say in this forum is not a wise thing to do.

Every Scart cable from us has been made to modern LCD TV standards and is fully wired.  The cable has been assembled correctly and has been Quality Tested before despatch to customer.  We test on a wide range of models and use a widely used schematic.

Forums can be a good source of information sometimes but it is better to consult with your dealer before resorting to modifying the product and jumping to conclusions that there is a fault in the product.

Ahem... no one said there was a fault in the product... ;)

I simply suggested that he check the product was fully wired and stated that I thought it would be... :)

It's not "hear-say" it's 25 years of experience making such cables for my own use that I advised him with. Modern LCD TVs can be quite hit and miss when it comes to using an Amiga RGB signal with them (as well as DVD Recorders) and in some cases it take a bit of tinkering to build a cable that suits a particular set... :)

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 02:06:11 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;630447

Hi Matthew?? I note the US numbers and if so, I didnt buy it from the US.

I dont think anyone has said as such that there is a fault in the cable.

It just doesnt work :-)

I have to take issue with it being a perfectly good cable otherwise it would work :-) I've also tried it on my 40" samsung and I couldnt get a viewable picture on that either. So thats 3 different brand LCD's. Not got a CRT to try it on but I to be honest I bought it for LCD compatibility. Like I put earlier, it might be the DB23 connector amiga side but I've seen that working fine connected to a monitor.

Anyway, I'm happy to cut the ends of and redo it. All part of the amiga fun and games.

Dont take it personally. I'm just getting the benefit of forum experience. Enyoy the sunshine and the rest of your weekend.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 01:12:13 AM »
Quote from: tribz;630461
Hi Matthew?? I note the US numbers and if so, I didnt buy it from the US.

I dont think anyone has said as such that there is a fault in the cable.

It just doesnt work :-)

I have to take issue with it being a perfectly good cable otherwise it would work :-) I've also tried it on my 40" samsung and I couldnt get a viewable picture on that either. So thats 3 different brand LCD's. Not got a CRT to try it on but I to be honest I bought it for LCD compatibility. Like I put earlier, it might be the DB23 connector amiga side but I've seen that working fine connected to a monitor.

Anyway, I'm happy to cut the ends of and redo it. All part of the amiga fun and games.

Dont take it personally. I'm just getting the benefit of forum experience. Enyoy the sunshine and the rest of your weekend.

Some LCD scarts dont accept RGB signals at all, only Composite.
If you have more than one scart socket, generally Scart 1 is the only one that will accept RGB.

On my own Samsung, if I used any socket other than Scart 1, I get white screen.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 01:33:33 AM »
You could try using the Composite video output as the sync for your RGB. See the Stedy diagram for info.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
Quote from: alexh;630582
You could try using the Composite video output as the sync for your RGB. See the Stedy diagram for info.

Hello Alex,

So which pin should I solder to where instead?

Offline Franko

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »
Pin 20 on The SCART Connector for Composite & Pin 17 for its Earth/GND.... :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:58:38 AM by Franko »

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »
Quote from: tribz;630653
So which pin should I solder to where instead?
?? You linked to the diagram!

An RCA plug (which goes in the yellow RCA socket on the rear of the A1200) Wire it to pin 20 & pin 17 (disconnect whatever normally comes from 23-pin) as per the diagram.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:37:05 AM by alexh »