amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org The "Not Quite Amiga but still computer related category" Alternative Operating Systems C64x promotes piracy.

Alternative Operating Systems This forum is dedicated to discussions of alternatives to the Commodore Amiga Platform, such as Linux distributions, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and others.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #31
kickstart
Cult Member
Points: 9,548, Level: 65 Points: 9,548, Level: 65 Points: 9,548, Level: 65
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Default Re: C64x promotes piracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiman View Post
Let's face it, you now realise you wasted $600 for some rubbish netbook performance C64 lookalike PC with Linux C64 emulator present.

So pretty much all you can now do is play on the emulator....so you download the entire 3000 original tape and 10000 disk archives of C64 games OR pop in your Retrogenius Ultimate C64 DVD and run VICE emulator on it....way to go

They might as well give you a free Jack Sparrow toy in the box with all their incitement to pirate seeing as you CAN'T use real C64 tapes/disks/carts
Then, emulators for all platforms are promoting piracy?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #32
runequester
It's Amiga time!
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
Then, emulators for all platforms are promoting piracy?
well, yeah. In most cases, its piracy nobody in the end cares about (doubt anyone will get sued for downloading shadow of the beast for the C64) but it's still technically illegal.

It's just that when its these age old games, nobody in the end cares, and that's fine by me.

I blog..a lot.
http://doctorwhoretrospec.blogspot.com/
http://redleftperspective.blogspot.com/
http://theamigablog.blogspot.com/
runequester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #33
Linde
Technoid
Points: 8,214, Level: 61 Points: 8,214, Level: 61 Points: 8,214, Level: 61
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
well, yeah. In most cases, its piracy
No. There's a huge difference between enabling, supporting and promoting piracy. Enabling piracy (which is usually as far as emulators go down the piracy spectrum) is something that most things are obviously guilty of. Even basic verbal communication allows us to infringe on copyrights and intellectual property, as do a pair of hands and an internet connection. The ultimate responsibility to do the right thing in all these cases is yours.

What you personally do on your end with an emulator has NOTHING to do with the policies and goals of the developers of that emulator, something that they sometimes even explicitly mention in their terms of use document, in case someone who, like yourself, is unable to comprehend their own responsibilities and rights and comes along.

You also seem to fail to understand the difference between illicitly using software that you have not paid for and using an emulator. I guess mp3 automatically means copyright protected music and .avi files are only illegal divx rips as well in your fantasy universe.

Last edited by Linde; 09-20-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Linde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #34
spirantho
Premium Member
Points: 12,337, Level: 72 Points: 12,337, Level: 72 Points: 12,337, Level: 72
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliyahu View Post
that's a good question. in truth i only use it for transferring old amiga disks to my local hard disks or transferring old files for use in dosbox. i know you can mount the disks just fine, but whether or not you can point VICE to the mountpoint as a 'disk' i do not know.
The answer is yes - kind of.

The CBM0: mountlist works sufficiently - I've had some trouble writing to it from memory, but I think reading is ok. You can therefore mount CBM0: and point VICE to CBM0: as a filesystem, I think, but I've not done it for a while.

Every now and again I feel like trying to get Vice to use the Catweasel for direct drive access - in theory it should be possible as I believe (unlike UAE) there's a cycle-exact version of Vice, and with the MkIV hardware you can make it fire off an interrupt when the signal changes, I think.

In other words, I think it's possible, but I just don't have the time given 99% of games you can just get cracked versions of anyway which you can image. Maybe one day - it would be cool.
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!
spirantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #35
runequester
It's Amiga time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linde View Post
No. There's a huge difference between enabling, supporting and promoting piracy. Enabling piracy (which is usually as far as emulators go down the piracy spectrum) is something that most things are obviously guilty of. Even basic verbal communication allows us to infringe on copyrights and intellectual property, as do a pair of hands and an internet connection. The ultimate responsibility to do the right thing in all these cases is yours.

What you personally do on your end with an emulator has NOTHING to do with the policies and goals of the developers of that emulator, something that they sometimes even explicitly mention in their terms of use document, in case someone who, like yourself, is unable to comprehend their own responsibilities and rights and comes along.

You also seem to fail to understand the difference between illicitly using software that you have not paid for and using an emulator. I guess mp3 automatically means copyright protected music and .avi files are only illegal divx rips as well in your fantasy universe.
Right, and Napster was not intended at all to pirate music.

Do everyone a favour and get over yourself. Nobody cares if you are pirating 20 year old computer or console games.
It's still illegal however.

Jumping up and down on the internet about how it's totally just for legitimate uses isn't convincing anyone, and it just makes you look sad and overly defensive.

I blog..a lot.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #36
Linde
Technoid

Quote:
Right, and Napster was not intended at all to pirate music.

Do everyone a favour and get over yourself. Nobody cares if you are pirating 20 year old computer or console games.
It's still illegal however.

Jumping up and down on the internet about how it's totally just for legitimate uses isn't convincing anyone, and it just makes you look sad and overly defensive.
Way to miss my point as well as what I literally said. It doesn't matter if you or everyone use emulators for software you don't own the rights to use. The emulator itself is entirely legal and does not (in any of the cases I know, including VICE) "promote" piracy in any way.

Even if your faulty reasoning was correct, as I mentioned earlier, the C64 (like most other popular classic platforms) has a thriving PD and demo scene, and as thick as your skull seems to be, you still ought to understand that this provides several legitimate reasons to use an emulator. I personally code demos for the C64 and use VICE primarily to test and debug my software. VICE contains tools specifically to aid development and debugging, because that is one of its more frequent areas of use.

PS. I'd prefer if you address the points I make in a reasonable manner instead of pathetically dismissing the whole message in a single blow.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #37
runequester
It's Amiga time!

Tell you what Linde:
We'll make a deal.

I'll give a **** about what you type when you can do it without resorting to petty insults and attacks.

Until then, have a pleasant day.

I blog..a lot.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #38
Linde
Technoid

Quote:
Tell you what Linde:
We'll make a deal.

I'll give a **** about what you type when you can do it without resorting to petty insults and attacks.

Until then, have a pleasant day.
It's fun to see the guy who based pretty much his whole last post on ad hominem attacks and insinuations play butthurt to bail on an argument he's losing. At least I have something constructive to say between the crap, even if you think it makes me look sad and overly defensive. Maybe I should just get over myself!
Old 09-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #39
Duce
Off to greener pastures
Points: 6,489, Level: 52 Points: 6,489, Level: 52 Points: 6,489, Level: 52
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

While I'm not a fan of the C64x or CUSA by any stretch, failing to see how the product promotes piracy any worse than any other PC.

Last I heard it didn't even come with VICE type emulator.
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #40
runequester
It's Amiga time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linde View Post
It's fun to see the guy who based pretty much his whole last post on ad hominem attacks and insinuations play butthurt to bail on an argument he's losing. At least I have something constructive to say between the crap, even if you think it makes me look sad and overly defensive. Maybe I should just get over myself!
yay, you won the internet.

I blog..a lot.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #41
Tripitaka
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,603, Level: 65 Points: 9,603, Level: 65 Points: 9,603, Level: 65
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Speaking as guy who *blanked so I don't get nicked* I don't give a toss if the cruddy piece of crap doorstop that pretends to be something it's not promotes piracy or not. Another run of C64 DTV would be far more welcome. They are starting to get silly price tags:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/getDigital-d.../dp/B00423LSU2

LMAO!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #42
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,171, Level: 89 Points: 20,171, Level: 89 Points: 20,171, Level: 89
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripitaka View Post
Speaking as guy who *blanked so I don't get nicked* I don't give a toss if the cruddy piece of crap doorstop that pretends to be something it's not promotes piracy or not. Another run of C64 DTV would be far more welcome. They are starting to get silly price tags:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/getDigital-d.../dp/B00423LSU2

LMAO!
Holy crap! Talk about being an optimist! I'd better tell my son to look after his as it should be able to fund him through 3 years of university by the time he graduates high school.

Seriously though, who would pay a price like that when you can order a Chameleon64 from Vesalia that does a hell of a lot more for way less.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #43
PanterHZ
Technoid
Points: 4,679, Level: 43 Points: 4,679, Level: 43 Points: 4,679, Level: 43
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorkany View Post
You beat me to the punch!

Also, nice avatar.
Thanks jorkany

"Afterwards, it's like a dream
You can't remember but it seems
To stay alive inside your mind
And prey upon your leisure time"
PanterHZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #44
PanterHZ
Technoid
Points: 4,679, Level: 43 Points: 4,679, Level: 43 Points: 4,679, Level: 43
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

OK, I stand corrected. There seems to have been developments regarding Amiga floppy disks and NG Amigas that I wasn't aware of. So let me re-phrase my original comment:

To put this in perspective: It may be possible to use real Amiga floppy disks on the AmigaOS 4, MorphOS, Aros or the FPGA based solutions. But piracy is the most common solution there as well

I just find it a bit silly to use piracy as an argument against the C64x, that's all.
PanterHZ is offline   Reply With Quote