Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 PAL vs NTSC  (Read 4733 times)

Description:

Offline nyteschaydeTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
A1200 PAL vs NTSC
« on: April 06, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »
I recently purchased a nice A1200 complete in the case and a NTSC unit (which I wanted). The problem is that the mobo revision doesn't support Subway USB adapter I bought (the clock port is on the wrong side). I have another A1200 motherboard that is PAL and has the right clock port pins, but my question is, how can I make the PAL motherboard a NTSC one? Are there chips I can swap out? Traces I can cut or build?

Anybody have an idea?
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: A1200 PAL vs NTSC
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:10:53 AM »
Will booting in NTSC mode not work for you ?

I guess it does get a bit tedious.

I believe its a fairly simple conversion but Im sure someone will come across shortly to help.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:28:29 AM »
Yeah I can always go back to doing that but I was hoping that I'd somehow be able to swap something and make it happen more easily. :-\ We'll see if anybody else has any ideas.
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline brenry

• Show only replies by brenry
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:28:46 AM »
Quote from: runequester;628810
Will booting in NTSC mode not work for you ?
runequester: My PAL a1200 arrived today in the mail. Is there a bootfile I can  edit to select NTSC by default like an autoexec.bat without going into  bootmenu each time before going to CLI?

I really don't like the way these games sound.  I grew up with fast  tempo tracks like Outrun and Last Ninja, and it just does not sound good  to my ear in 50 fps PAL, the game play is smoother in 60 fps ntsc mode,  and I hate dicking around with my screen adjustment controls when pal  mode is active all the time.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 05:18:25 AM »
hmm, I'll be honest, I virtually never use mine in NTSC mode. A quick google search doesn't suggest anything.

THings that tweak how the machine boots goes in the startup-sequence stuff, but I think by the time you are that far in the boot process, its probably too late.

Im not a monster guru though.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:03:10 AM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;628785
I recently purchased a nice A1200 complete in the case and a NTSC unit (which I wanted). The problem is that the mobo revision doesn't support Subway USB adapter I bought (the clock port is on the wrong side). I have another A1200 motherboard that is PAL and has the right clock port pins, but my question is, how can I make the PAL motherboard a NTSC one? Are there chips I can swap out? Traces I can cut or build?

Anybody have an idea?

Where are you located?  I have a NTSC A1200 in an Elbox Tower case, I'd swap my NTSC board for the PAL one with the correct pins.

I would need to check the clockport pins on my NTSC board first though.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 06:05:53 AM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;628825
Yeah I can always go back to doing that but I was hoping that I'd somehow be able to swap something and make it happen more easily. :-\ We'll see if anybody else has any ideas.

Is there a particular reason why you want a NTSC model?  Is it that you want to connect it to a regular TV?  If you can live with PAL and have a monitor with a VGA connector then look for one of those cheap RGB-VGA boxes that people use, rather than an expensive scan doubler.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;628785
I have another A1200 motherboard that is PAL and has the right clock port pins, but my question is, how can I make the PAL motherboard a NTSC one? Are there chips I can swap out? Traces I can cut or build?

Alice pin 41 controls whether it's ntsc/pal. A google search for "amiga alice pin 41" should give you an idea.

Obviously this just affects the refresh rate, the composite video output will be PAL60. So everything will look black and white in NTSC land.

The RGB video will be fine though.

Offline broken

• Show only replies by broken
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;628943
Alice pin 41 controls whether it's ntsc/pal. A google search for "amiga alice pin 41" should give you an idea.

Obviously this just affects the refresh rate, the composite video output will be PAL60. So everything will look black and white in NTSC land.

The RGB video will be fine though.

Yup.

Ground Pin 41 of the Alice chip and the A1200 will boot it up in NTSC mode. If you enter the early startup menu you will see that the machine has defaulted to NTSC. Likewise with a NTSC machine if you lift Pin 41 from its solder point, thereby un-grounding it, the machine will boot to PAL mode. You could even install a toggle switch to control if the machine boots into PAL or NTSC mode. Just don't flip it while the machine is powered on otherwise Alice would probably be toast.

If you are using an RGB monitor everything will be perfectly fine. However the composite video and RF jacks will display incorrectly or black and white (results depends on the TV as some are more tolerant - especially older CRTs). Kipper2K recently posted directions for a full conversion which would make the composite and RF display correctly, but if you are using RGB I wouldn't bother. Full conversion involves a lot of component soldering and desoldering and expense.

Considering the composite and RF video out on them is crap anyways, this isn't much a lost. You could always purchase one of the NTSC/PAL Composite/S-video adapters from Amigamaniac that plugs into the RGB port. I had one and the s-video out is FANTASTIC. Very close to RGB quality. Kipper2k is also working on one that does component video as well.

HOWEVER - Might I ask WHY you want the machine in NTSC mode? Unless you plan on doing genlock video work or hooking it up to a regular TV or similiar, I personally see no need for NTSC. Almost all the good software and certainly nearly all games are in PAL. I like many have been using PAL Amiga's here in the states for years and have been a lot happier with it. More compatible and software runs and plays the way it should. No more speed up music or missing parts of the screen like you normally get with NTSC machines trying to run PAL software. All those excellent Demo's from Europe would play perfectly unlike on NTSC machines. So unless you have a mountain of NTSC software or some other burning desire I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, in case you aren't aware, if you are using an RGB monitor like the 1084, it will display just fine with the PAL A1200. The RGB inputs on them will display both NTSC and PAL fine. Likewise with many (most?) other RGB monitors. I use a JVC broadcast quality monitor via RGB and works fine with both 50 and 60Hz inputs.

Bottom line - If using an RGB monitor, ground Pin 41 of the Alice chip to force the machine into NTSC mode if you really need it. Otherwise hold down both mouse buttons at bootup and switch to NTSC via the early startup screen.

Offline brenry

• Show only replies by brenry
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 07:54:43 PM »
Quote from: broken;629173
Yup.

HOWEVER - Might I ask WHY you want the machine in NTSC mode? Unless you plan on doing genlock video work or hooking it up to a regular TV or similiar, I personally see no need for NTSC. Almost all the good software and certainly nearly all games are in PAL.

THANKS for the pin info !

Your games might be pal, but the majority of Killergorilla's collection is the ntsc version.  If your games are displaying a 2 inch black strip along the left border or the bottom of your games dont stretch to the bottom, your games are NTSC.  Its why so many youtube videos look ugly like this.  Plenty of old posts on the subject.

You are wrong.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26403

Offline broken

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:37:53 AM »
Quote from: brenry;629211
Your games might be pal, but the majority of Killergorilla's collection is the ntsc version.

You don't honestly believe this do you?

I sincerely doubt that a UK user would base his WHDLoad collection off NTSC versions of games. Especially considering most all the installs are from Euro folks based off Tosec dumps. Which originated in Euro land anyways. I know there are a couple NTSC specific releases in it.

Now, some NTSC games that were took over to PAL territories were never rewritten by some lazy devs and probably have some issues. But none the less those were PAL releases. Plus most of the big games released for the Amiga were out of the UK anyways.

You are insane if you think his collection is based off NTSC games.

Never mind the fact all the demo scene productions are most certainly PAL only. Some might kinda work on NTSC, but still PAL is the best way to enjoy them.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 04:00:11 AM »
@OP

How do you know if you have the wrong clockport or not? I have an escom a1200 should it be ok? Or were the non cbm 1200s the problem? I'm wanting a subway.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
Quote from: broken;629173
Just don't flip it while the machine is powered on otherwise Alice would probably be toast.

I seriously doubt that.
Though I can't truly vouch for Alice (never owned an AGA machine) Agnus doesn't care at all if the switch is flipped 'hot' (used to do that on a 500 and a 3000). Since Alice is more-or-less just a newer rev of Agnus it shouldn't be more picky.

Offline broken

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
Quote from: Zac67;629475
I seriously doubt that.
Though I can't truly vouch for Alice (never owned an AGA machine) Agnus doesn't care at all if the switch is flipped 'hot' (used to do that on a 500 and a 3000). Since Alice is more-or-less just a newer rev of Agnus it shouldn't be more picky.

Well, I was thinking it was more of a safety caution. Kinda like always wear safety glasses while working in wood shop.

Though I kinda imagined the machine would lock up and require powering off and back on if you flipped it while powered on.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »
I am in San Jose, CA USA. Actually I'd like to get another Indivision when one crops up but given I live in the States all my games and software are NTSC versions and it's always been a pain for me. Not to mention I hate the flicker of a 50Hz resolution. I can swap at boot but doing that all the time is also a pain.