amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Operating System Specific Discussions MorphOS MorphOS -- Application questions and support Amount of MorphOS copies sold

MorphOS -- Application questions and support Got a question regarding MorphOS software applications and/or support? This is the place.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #21
Iggy
Energizer Bunny of Babble
Points: 16,228, Level: 81 Points: 16,228, Level: 81 Points: 16,228, Level: 81
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Default Re: Amount of MorphOS copies sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Well, it's like this I guess; when you expect the worst you can never be disappointed.
I don't know, with the political system working the way it has in the US for the last several years, I expect the worst and then our politicians surprise me and figure out a way to exceed my worst expectations. So I'm perpetually disappointed.

But over the last year, the developments in MorphOS have been a pleasant surprise. I only hope the developers can introduce all that they've hinted at.

Purchased a 1.8 GHz G5 PowerMac for now (and I have 2.3 PCI-E G5 PowerMac for future revisions of MorphOS).

Also I still have a 1.42 GHz iBook (with MorphOS 3.4).

Finally I still have an old A2000 for the days I'm into pain.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin

"I'm a hard worker." - George W. Bush

"Guess I'll have to change my way of livin..."

Kenny Downing is my God.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
takemehomegrandma
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 19,968, Level: 89 Points: 19,968, Level: 89 Points: 19,968, Level: 89
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilwrath View Post
(And I do agree with a previous poster, and I also suspect there are more 68k users than all MOS, AOS4, and AROS combined.
*Real Users*, or collectors/enthusiasts/nostalgics/etc that do have the stuff, but spends all of their time talking about it on Amiga.org?

MorphOS is usable for "real". It even has a web browser that beats the current Internet Explorer in some areas (like CSS3)!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemehomegrandma View Post
*Real Users*, or collectors/enthusiasts/nostalgics/etc that do have the stuff, but spends all of their time talking about it on Amiga.org?

MorphOS is usable for "real". It even has a web browser that beats the current Internet Explorer in some areas (like CSS3)!
Yes, in that regard you've got a point. I miss Flash support under OWB, but its a pretty good browser. And MorphOS is modern enough to provide the functionality I need for everyday use.
I hope AOS4 has a similar level of utility (I wouldn't know personally).
AROS certainly has a lot of programs available, so one day it may be mature enough to interest me.

And I suppose you could try to use a legacy Amiga as your primary system, especially if you were into pain.
But I suspect most 68K owners are as you stated either collectors, retro hobbyists, or just nostalgic for the "old days".

Purchased a 1.8 GHz G5 PowerMac for now (and I have 2.3 PCI-E G5 PowerMac for future revisions of MorphOS).

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin

Kenny Downing is my God.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #24
Norway
Hobbyist
Points: 5,796, Level: 49 Points: 5,796, Level: 49 Points: 5,796, Level: 49
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Unhappy Re: Amount of MorphOS copies sold

Quote:
I think powerbook will render another bump in the graph (mostly because of additional sales to already established users, and because the joining of people from "other camps"), but I don't think a G5 would have as big effect. But maybe it will.

But growth in sales doesn't come from growth of the total "market" (that is probably shrinking), but from already established users getting a second (or indeed a third) copy for some new type of HW they like (like me having a license or Pegasos2 and getting another for Mac Mini because that HW is so much better), as well as people from other "camps" either migrating or "getting both". I think the latter will increase!
I have MOS 2.0. But I am going to wait for last in the line of MOS hardware : The powerbook.
I dont want to throw away money on the mid range hardware\license.
sorry to see this downgoing spiral
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #25
nicholas
VIP / Donor
Points: 20,934, Level: 91 Points: 20,934, Level: 91 Points: 20,934, Level: 91
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post
I have MOS 2.0. But I am going to wait for last in the line of MOS hardware : The powerbook.
I dont want to throw away money on the mid range hardware\license.
sorry to see this downgoing spiral
Ditto.

Though I might fork out for a license on my wife's eMac if she decides she likes MorphOS enough.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #26
Ilwrath
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 12,859, Level: 74 Points: 12,859, Level: 74 Points: 12,859, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Zookeeper Champion

Quote:

I'd say both real users and collectors/retro nerds. I mean, the original 68k models sold millions. It's surely not unthinkable that 0.05% of them are still out there functioning every day. Tucked away in remote areas, still running whatever little custom thing they were purchased for. That's still going to be more than the couple thousand "modern" systems.

I don't disagree that MorphOS is much more usable as a desktop system. But then again, there are a lot of systems a lot more usable than MorphOS, too. When modernizing, why would someone stop at that particular point?
Ilwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #27
Khephren
Cult Member
Points: 10,476, Level: 68 Points: 10,476, Level: 68 Points: 10,476, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Quote:

Now now, no need to slate where your from, just because you decided to moved away
Besides, I still use AOS in my day to day work, thanks very much!
Khephren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #28
Pyromania
Sent from my Quantum PC
Points: 21,996, Level: 92 Points: 21,996, Level: 92 Points: 21,996, Level: 92
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Retro Amiga works great as a retro video editing workstation.
Pyromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #29
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,321, Level: 89 Points: 20,321, Level: 89 Points: 20,321, Level: 89
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%

Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
No way to count the cheap bastards that don't mind rebooting every 30 minutes.

Or the even cheaper bastards with hacked copies.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #30
XDelusion
Alien Breeder
Points: 38,449, Level: 100 Points: 38,449, Level: 100 Points: 38,449, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Send a message via ICQ to XDelusion

Two things that will help sales...
Improved support for classic apps that run on OS4, but crash on MorphOS. I.E. OctaMED SS.

And or JIT for UAE.
Powerbook & wireless support.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs
XDelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #31
dreadwin
Merely Curious
Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47

Send a message via AIM to dreadwin Send a message via MSN to dreadwin Send a message via Yahoo to dreadwin

Another way to look at the graph is that the number of Morphos registrations has almost doubled during the last 2 years.

Myself, I've acquired a G4 MDD 1.25Ghz, and just need to spend the time to install and troubleshoot before I can join the party. Adding Powermac support has allowed the userbase to grow.
dreadwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
Darrin
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadwin View Post
Another way to look at the graph is that the number of Morphos registrations has almost doubled during the last 2 years.
Or you could say that more people will by an OS if they can actually have some hardware to run it on.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #33
Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Or you could say that more people will by an OS if they can actually have some hardware to run it on.
Ha! That's hitting the nail on its head. before Mac support, you had a choice between the Pegasos and the Efika (the later underpowered and with limited memory, the former out of production for the last five years).
And Macs are cheap or free so its easy to try the Os and then buy it if you like it (a pretty good marketing method).

Kenny Downing is my God.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #34
Darrin
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Ha! That's hitting the nail on its head. before Mac support, you had a choice between the Pegasos and the Efika (the later underpowered and with limited memory, the former out of production for the last five years).
And Macs are cheap or free so its easy to try the Os and then buy it if you like it (a pretty good marketing method).
Yep, I have an Efika and the reason I haven't purchased a copy of MorphOS is because it is too underpowered to use it properly. Shame really because it is such a tiny board.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #35
Iggy

Quote:
Yep, I have an Efika and the reason I haven't purchased a copy of MorphOS is because it is too underpowered to use it properly. Shame really because it is such a tiny board.
I do not understand why Genesi didn't give that board more memory or make the memory upgradable.

Kenny Downing is my God.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #36
Darrin
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I do not understand why Genesi didn't give that board more memory or make the memory upgradable.
That was my only gripe about the board. I can understand the lack of CPU power because it was a low-end board based on what was available on the market at the time and meant to be cheap to encourage sales. However, the surface mounted memory with no expansion option was a real design blunder.

I think that at the end of the day it was a board designed for simple automated business use (cash registers, monitoring devices, etc) and not really for a home user running applications on a modern OS.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #37
amigadave
Lifetime Member
Points: 22,443, Level: 93 Points: 22,443, Level: 93 Points: 22,443, Level: 93
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

The only thing that is going to significantly increase the sales (or use) of MorphOS2.x, AmigaOS4.x, or AROS, is the availability of quality software that everyone wants to run on those OSes. If we can't get more developers and good software to run, all of these systems are just a curiosity to most other people and aren't much more than that even to hard core Amiga users that want to move on to something more advanced, but still Amiga related.

I know that there is already some good software for all of the above OSes, but we need so much more and better software to be considered by most computer users.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #38
mike-
Technoid
Points: 5,218, Level: 46 Points: 5,218, Level: 46 Points: 5,218, Level: 46

Very interesting, id like to point out though people posting in forums and people having registered a copy does not necessarily go hand in hand of course, id expect the number not the be dividable at all, you cant assume that every morphos user will have a morphzone account any more then every windows user having a hotmail account. The fact is this reflects the number of registered users posting and registered and bothering to post so on morphzone. Meaning you could easily probably double the number. However as some point out there are probably way more 68k users out there then ppc, simply given availability. It would be interesting to know the number of downloads for the ISO, and total active regardless of A(ISH)OSy
⎛☮ໄ
ﮑὠՀ
mike- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #39
amigadave
Lifetime Member

Quote:
That was my only gripe about the board. I can understand the lack of CPU power because it was a low-end board based on what was available on the market at the time and meant to be cheap to encourage sales. However, the surface mounted memory with no expansion option was a real design blunder.

I think that at the end of the day it was a board designed for simple automated business use (cash registers, monitoring devices, etc) and not really for a home user running applications on a modern OS.
I got into a big argument with one of Genesi's employees while trying to find the answers of why the memory on the Efika could not be added to (as there are solder pads on the bottom of the board just for that purpose). It took almost a week of heated forum postings back and forth to come up with the correct answer (in fact it took a phone call from Bill Buck directly to me at my home to get a straight answer), and the answer was that the firmware of the Efika would have to be modified to have any added RAM recognized and Genesi would not do it without being paid. Nor would they produce any new Efika boards with more RAM installed at the factory unless at least 300 boards were ordered and the price of these 300 upgraded Efika boards would naturally be higher due to the increased amount of RAM installed and the work required to re-write the firmware to recognize the added RAM. The correct RAM that could work with the Efika was said to be difficult to find, which I find to be an odd statement, but suppose it could be true. The Efika board was designed to be able to accept up to 512mb of RAM (in theory), but I don't know if any samples of the board were ever produced with that amount of RAM.

It would be great (although it would be against the terms of use, or what ever the legal term is for the rules that the board was sold with, to alter the firmware, or reverse engineer it) if some person or group would figure out how to alter the Efika's firmware to recognize 128mb, or 256mb of added RAM and find the correct RAM chips to solder to the provided solder pads on the bottom of the board, but it probably will never happen.

The CPU is not too slow for running MorphOS2.x, it is the limit of only 128mb RAM and the slow USB1.1 that are the worst features of the board. The IDE controller is also not the greatest either, but for many uses the Efika running MorphOS2.x is fine, for a low end system. It is comparable to other MorphOS2.x systems, like the difference between an stock A500 and a souped up A4000 w/68060 & 128mb RAM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #40
amigadave
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike- View Post
Very interesting, id like to point out though people posting in forums and people having registered a copy does not necessarily go hand in hand of course, id expect the number not the be dividable at all, you cant assume that every morphos user will have a morphzone account any more then every windows user having a hotmail account. The fact is this reflects the number of registered users posting and registered and bothering to post so on morphzone. Meaning you could easily probably double the number. However as some point out there are probably way more 68k users out there then ppc, simply given availability. It would be interesting to know the number of downloads for the ISO, and total active regardless of A(ISH)OSy
Actually Mike, the number of licenses is known because each email sent to confirm the purchase of the MorphOS2.x license has a number in it that identifies how many licenses have been sold, so it has nothing to do with the number of registered users that also post on MorphZone.org. There could be a few that have registered that are not members of MorphZone.org that have a higher number on their license confirmation email, but then as soon as another member of MorphZone.org registers another license, we all would know the new higher number in the email that indicates the total number of purchased licenses.

I hope that makes sense, it is easier to understand than it is to explain in words.