amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

» Amiga.org » Operating System Specific Discussions » MorphOS » MorphOS -- Application questions and support » Amount of MorphOS copies sold

MorphOS -- Application questions and support Got a question regarding MorphOS software applications and/or support? This is the place.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #211
takemehomegrandma
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 19,218, Level: 87 Points: 19,218, Level: 87 Points: 19,218, Level: 87
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Default Re: Amount of MorphOS copies sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikk View Post
Version numbering is just numbers, but AmigaOS4 is still AmigaOS.
It's teh reel!!1!1!

(Wonder why it took so long...? )
Old 03-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #212
HenryCase
Cult Member
Points: 5,872, Level: 49 Points: 5,872, Level: 49 Points: 5,872, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
It is human nature to defend and justify the choices we make
Why do you feel your choices need defending? It's not human nature at all, it's all down to the individual. For example, I'm not a fan of Apple, and occassionally I get people saying I should get an iPhone. I don't feel insecure about choosing an N900, and I don't feel the need to defend my choice, beyond a simple 'my phone is right for me', or something along those lines.

Usually the people that shout loudest to defend their choices, are the ones that are most insecure. If you're truly happy with decision, then this 'defending' becomes largely unnecessary. Please note I'm not singling you out here, this is just a general observation.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #213
hooligan
Cult Member
Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafS3 View Post
The weak point of you "MorphOS" users/fans is your proud that is at the edge of arrogance. Really have I to look in aminet and send you all the links? Your proud and ego will be the death of your platform...
I don't know why but once again I got the flashback of this marvellous posting at ann.lu (we are living year 2004) : Red and Blue trolls
Old 03-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #214
OlafS3
Lifetime Member
Points: 6,801, Level: 54 Points: 6,801, Level: 54 Points: 6,801, Level: 54
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

It more reminds me on "Groundhog Day" :-)
OlafS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #215
takemehomegrandma
Kindred of Babble-on

@amigadave

The reason to why MorphOS registrations are constantly increasing (yes dave, *increasing*) has nothing to do with what people thinks about me or anyone else on *any* website forum. It has everything to do with its qualities and its extremely low threshold of entry. It costs very little to get going, and you get very much for your money. As simple as that.

And the other way around - the reason to why the OS4 graph (had there been one) would look like the MorphOS graph flipped upside down (I'm quite certain it would) in this zero-sum game, has very little to do with peoples opinions of Ben Hermans OS4 community split, what they think of the Friedens regular primadonna rage tantrums, or what people thinks of some of the Amigans.net regulars. It has more to do with the extremely high threshold of entry.

At least when it comes to *real users* (not just people discussion in forums, which doesn't reflect real users very well at all)!

Money *does* matter, maybe not to you, but to most people. And so does what you get for your money. Chatting on a website forum is *not* the same thing as using a system, although HenryCase and some others seems to think so. The problem isn't discussions in forums, nor the participants in the discussions. The problem isn't people voicing their opinions about the lunacy of the X1000, or the redundancy of OS4. The problem is the people trying to suppress these kind of discussions, trying to streamline the collective mind that the problems are no problems at all, making it impossible for the community to collectively learn from these mistakes. Inflicting taboos on discussions is what brought us the X1000, and is what will bring us the X2000 costing twice as much, driving twice as many people away. And you want everyone to stand beside the track, and cheer as it happens, because doing anything else would be "negative", and heavens forbid that!

If I would die tomorrow, it wouldn't change one single thing for neither the MorphOS community, nor the OS4 community, nor the amount of users any of these may have, that's not how it works. Using MorphOS or OS4 or AROS or Classic isn't about kissing, hugging and rolling around in a pile of pillows, and if that is your belief, chances are that you are more into the Social Club thing, than actual usage of either of these systems. Introducing some kind of a "Newspeak Dictionary" where all words that could be used to describe OS4's problems (or the problems of the Amiga in general) are erased, and perhaps a thought police to go with that, won't, and I repeat: *won't* make the problems go away. Discussion might, at least it's a start. And anyone who doesn't agree with me (or anyone else for that matter) in a discussion, is completely free to raise their own voice, lifting their own opinion, putting forward their own arguments. There is nothing wrong with that, it's how it should be. So please stop "apologizing" for me "in the name of the MorphOS community". People do have brains to think for themselves, and a voice to raise for themselves. You are not a spokes person for me or anyone else. It doesn't work like that.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #216
takemehomegrandma
Kindred of Babble-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I don't know why but once again I got the flashback of this marvellous posting at ann.lu (we are living year 2004) : Red and Blue trolls

Ah, those were the days...

Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #217
itix
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 12,755, Level: 73 Points: 12,755, Level: 73 Points: 12,755, Level: 73
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemehomegrandma View Post

Ah, those were the days...

I miss Ann :-)
Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #218
JJ
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,262, Level: 89 Points: 20,262, Level: 89 Points: 20,262, Level: 89
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
Why do you feel your choices need defending? It's not human nature at all, it's all down to the individual. For example, I'm not a fan of Apple, and occassionally I get people saying I should get an iPhone. I don't feel insecure about choosing an N900, and I don't feel the need to defend my choice, beyond a simple 'my phone is right for me', or something along those lines.

Usually the people that shout loudest to defend their choices, are the ones that are most insecure. If you're truly happy with decision, then this 'defending' becomes largely unnecessary. Please note I'm not singling you out here, this is just a general observation.

Thats funny because I have an N900 and would argue the toss against iPhone users. Then I used an Iphone and I cant believe the annoance of using systems like maemo and android anyway thats not the point....

Are you mental. Thats great that you dont feel the need to support shout about the choice of os, computer, car football team etc you make.

Most people do, you are inthe minority. I am not saying this is how things should be, just they way they are. Sorry when I use the words "I" and "You" I should reallyh be using "One".

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.4 user
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #219
JJ
Lifetime Member

Would like to clairfy I own a mac mini witha reg morhpos . JHardly ever used it. Not used since last update.

So would not say I was user.

In fact Amiga.org just been my home for sooooo long cant leave. Thinking of selling all my amiga stuff as don't use it anymore and just takes up space.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #220
Boot_WB
Defender of the Faith
Points: 11,828, Level: 71 Points: 11,828, Level: 71 Points: 11,828, Level: 71
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemehomegrandma View Post
@amigadave

The reason to why MorphOS registrations are constantly increasing (yes dave, *increasing*) has nothing to do with what people thinks about me or anyone else on *any* website forum. It has everything to do with its qualities and its extremely low threshold of entry. It costs very little to get going, and you get very much for your money. As simple as that.
Actually the real reason is that it is a cumulative total, it's not possible to go down. What's interesting is the first derivative of the graph against time, ie the rate of registrations. This shows exactly what you'd expect - an increased rate of registrations with the introduction of new hardware support, followed by a decline in the rate over time. (Although the increase does stay pretty steadily at 75-100 per 6-month period.)
If anything, the graph shows that each new hardware platform has added a smaller initial 'bump' of new registrations than the previous.

Quote:
And the other way around - the reason to why the OS4 graph (had there been one) would look like the MorphOS graph flipped upside down (I'm quite certain it would) in this zero-sum game, has very little to do with peoples opinions of Ben Hermans OS4 community split, what they think of the Friedens regular primadonna rage tantrums, or what people thinks of some of the Amigans.net regulars. It has more to do with the extremely high threshold of entry.
Again, this is a cumulative total so would probably look pretty similar.

Quote:
At least when it comes to *real users* (not just people discussion in forums, which doesn't reflect real users very well at all)!
The weaknesses in the MorphOS graph are well established (no tracking of licenses transferred, multiple license ownership, etc). The speculation on OS4 numbers is just that - speculation (however in/accurate).
Additionally, at least the number of downloads shows active useres (if you accept it as a representative number). The MorphOS graph shows simply those who have registered over a several-year period.
Download figures for MorphOS2.7.iso might be a more equally unsound basis for comparison with the Timberwolf figures, if they were available.

Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.1
Powerbook 5.6 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.1, OSX 10.5.8

Windows-free since 2011!

Last edited by Boot_WB; 03-14-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Boot_WB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #221
takemehomegrandma
Kindred of Babble-on

Default Re: Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot_WB View Post
the graph shows that each new hardware platform has added fewer users than the previous.
Indeed it's cumulative, nobody claimed otherwise. And under all circumstances, it's a zero-sum game (few, if anyone at all, are coming in from the outside) in a situation where the total sum (thus *including* MorphOS) is shrinking, not growing. But that's not the point.

And indeed you can see visible bumps as support for new systems are introduced. I myself am represented at the start of the curve (registering MorphOS 2.0 for my Pegasos 2) and again when Mac Mini was introduced. I'm only using my Mac Mini, so you could divide my "contribution" to the curve with 2; I'm only one user. Some Pegasos owners probably waited a bit as well. And some are probably still using their Pegasos as their only MorphOS system. Maybe some of the first Mac Mini owners later got themselves a Power Mac as well, when that was introduced. But registering MorphOS *is* a financial commitment, thus it's not realistic to think that a great deal of newcomers during *the later* years have multiple registrations; when they got the system (probably a Mac Mini or a PowerMac) they already got from the start what represents the peak of the current options available, thus having little reasons to get multiple licenses, generally speaking. Yet the trend continues, steadily, even though there were several years since support for the last HW was introduced.

You can also see how the *tilt* of the curve got visibly steeper after the introduction of Mac support (and this tilt has been steady for several years now), which clearly shows the benefit of cheap mainstream vs. more expensive custom solutions. Hmm, I wonder how steep the tilt would be, had x86 support been introduced...?

There are many lessons to be learned from this graph!

Quote:
Again, this is a cumulative total so would probably look pretty similar.
No it probably woudln't, I'd say that the odds are "3000 to 200" (get the point? ) that more people from the Classic/AROS/OS4 got themselves a MorphOS machine, than Classic/AROS/MorphOS got themselves a OS4 machine.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #222
takemehomegrandma
Kindred of Babble-on

Quote:
So would not say I was user.
Indeed the definition of "user" is very difficult, and for this reason you may be fooled to think that one platform has more *users* than the other, judged by forum activity (you are still here chatting, aren't you? ). But at least this phenomenon should strike equally across the entire platform...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #223
JJ
Lifetime Member

I would say the vast majority of people on this site do not use Amigas anymore

Old 03-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #224
HenryCase
Cult Member
Points: 5,872, Level: 49 Points: 5,872, Level: 49 Points: 5,872, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Quote:
Thats funny because I have an N900 and would argue the toss against iPhone users. Then I used an Iphone and I cant believe the annoance of using systems like maemo and android anyway thats not the point....

Are you mental. Thats great that you dont feel the need to support shout about the choice of os, computer, car football team etc you make.

Most people do, you are inthe minority. I am not saying this is how things should be, just they way they are. Sorry when I use the words "I" and "You" I should reallyh be using "One".
Am I mental?

Here's the thing; I don't define myself through what I buy. Perhaps that is unusual in the consumerist culture we live in, but I don't see what I buy as an extension of who I am, or at least I don't take it personally if others choose something else.

Football team is a good analogy. I couldn't care less about other teams, nor their performance, as long as my team plays well then I'm happy. I don't care if someone supports another team, the performance of my team is what I enjoy.

Does that make more sense to you?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #225
JJ
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
Am I mental?

Here's the thing; I don't define myself through what I buy. Perhaps that is unusual in the consumerist culture we live in, but I don't see what I buy as an extension of who I am, or at least I don't take it personally if others choose something else.

Football team is a good analogy. I couldn't care less about other teams, nor their performance, as long as my team plays well then I'm happy. I don't care if someone supports another team, the performance of my team is what I enjoy.

Does that make more sense to you?
I perfectly understand you. I think maybe mental was too strong a word. I was saying that most people are not like you is all . Was trying to explain why people defend things the way they do is all.